Silent Server

bob82274

Silent Server
« on: 23 Jan 2003, 08:37 pm »
Mr. Barnes

This august I plan on doing a couple of things that will affect the way I will be using my computer(s).  First I will be upgrading to a new PC that will be used for work/play.  This leaves me with my old computer.  It would work great as an HTPC (which it is doing as double duty now) but I don't really want it in my family room.  Instead I was thinking about taking some of the components and sticking them into a Barebones Silent PC.  I have some concerns though about it.  My first, and this is really a big one for me, is the processor, and the rest of the PC, up to the task of decoding Divx files?  My other concern is that it does not seem to have a Ethernet card but is only capable through USB.  I have a wireless network setup and it and the x-box will hook into a router which will be on it.  One final thing.  Do you plan on keeping up with this product and upgrading the processor as time progresses?

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
Re: Silent Server
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2003, 05:21 am »
First of all, NorhTec is a different company than nOrh but we are sharing resources at this stage.  

The Silent Server is designed primarily as an office or home office machine. It is not designed as a multimedia machine. It isn't that it can not be used as a multimedia machine, rather, it is that it would be unexceptional.

The issue is not processing speed. When a processor is used to decode the MPEG II, you have the problem that when you do anything with the computer, your decoding can suffer.

It is best to have an integrated MPEG II decoder. Some MPEG II decoders are available from third parties. These are not too expensive -- about $99.00.

The Panda PC is designed as a multi-media computer. Not only does the Panda PC have integrated MPEG II, it also has a very high quality DAC built in.  

No matter how good the video decoding is or the audio perfromance is, this will be of little advantage if the computer makes a lot of noise.   Our focus has been on providing a balanced system with the right amount of balanced performance.

The Panda PC has DDR RAM, USB 2.0, Firewire, integrated MPEG II and six channel audio.  More importantly, the system runs cool enough that it doesn't need a CPU or power supply fan.  

Both the Silent Server and the Panda PC come with integrated 10/100BaseT.  

Quote from: bob82274
Mr. Barnes

This august I plan on doing a couple of things that will affect the way I will be using my computer(s).  First I will be upgrading to a new PC that will be used for work/play.  This leaves me with my old computer.  It would work great as an HTPC (which it is doing as double duty now) but I don't really want it in my family room.  Instead I was thinking about taking some of the components and sticking them into a Barebones Silent PC.  I have some concerns though about it.  My first, and this is really a big one for me, is the processor, and the rest of the PC, up to the task of decoding Divx files?  My other concern is that it does not seem to have a Ethernet card but is only capable through USB.  I have a wireless network setup and it and the x-box will hook into a router which will be on it.  One final thing.  Do you plan on keeping up with this product and upgrading the processor as time progresses?