TriodeTube sound/Red Wine's Signature 70, a tube preamp... and something more ~

-Richard-

I was listening to an old integrated EL84 Heathkit Triode tube amplifier from the by-gone days of audio... circa early 1950's. Something is up with one of the tube components. So once again... as I do quite regularly... I replaced that with a pair of Vinnie's Signature 70 mono amplifiers and a Maple Tree tube Triode preamplifier.

I had not listened to the Red Wine amplifiers with the Maple Tree tube preamplifier for a few months... I alternate amplifiers to keep the music sounding fresh.

Once again that Triode tube sound with its immediacy, textural complexity, spacial holographic depth, warmth and yes... personality... all of which is so seductive... lifted the music from being merely well executed to being "personal"... accessible... engaging.

And there is something else as well... there is a subtle dynamic urgency behind the music that makes it come alive... fully alive. That is something one rarely hears with low watt single-ended Triode tube designs... I know... I have heard many many examples of the best that are available.

Deborah smiled as the first threads of the music appeared in our listening room... "wow... that is beautiful isn't it?" she asked... "yes... beautiful".

Vinnie's Red Wine Signature 70's and a well executed Triode tube pre-amplifier really do make fabulous music together. And it is so nice to have the additional "head room" that the Signature 70 delivers so effortlessly.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2010, 08:37 pm by -Richard- »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Hi Richard,

Nice to see you posting again on the RWA forum!

I'm glad your Mapletree + upgraded Sig 70 combo continues to bring you and Deb
a lot of listening enjoyment. 

Thank you for your post,

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

I was listening to an old integrated EL84 Heathkit Triode tube amplifier from the by-gone days of audio... circa early 1950's. Something is up with one of the tube components. So once again... as I do quite regularly... I replaced that with a pair of Vinnie's Signature 70 mono amplifiers and a Maple Tree tube Triode preamplifier.

I had not listened to the Red Wine amplifiers with the Maple Tree tube preamplifier for a few months... I alternate amplifiers to keep the music sounding fresh.

Once again that Triode tube sound with its immediacy, textural complexity, spacial holographic depth, warmth and yes... personality... all of which is so seductive... lifted the music from being merely well executed to being "personal"... accessible... engaging.

And there is something else as well... there is a subtle dynamic urgency behind the music that makes it come alive... fully alive. That is something one rarely hears with low watt single-ended Triode tube designs... I know... I have heard many many examples of the best that are available.

Deborah smiled as the first threads of the music appeared in our listening room... "wow... that is beautiful isn't it?" she asked... "yes... beautiful".

Vinnie's Red Wine Signature 70's and a well executed Triode tube pre-amplifier really do make fabulous music together. And it is so nice to have the additional "head room" that the Signature 70 delivers so effortlessly.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard
Poetic writing. Nicely done. Kent

alexander76

I asked some advice and a high-end audio dealer told me that
I can keep my Signature 30.2 as preamp for Signature 70.2 monoblocks.

And even further if I can upgrade my speakers then I could even bi-amp them with the monoblocks and Signature 30.2.

Here's is more info about my rig:
speakers: ACI Titan XL subwoofer+ACI Emerald speakers
amp: RWA Signature 30 (partial upgraded to30.2) amp
dac: Stello DA220 Mk II
source: Squeezebox Classic

alexander76

I am not looking for a preamp or monoblocks anymore.
If I would like to use my Signature 30.2 as passive preamp for monoblocks with ACI Emerald XL speakers then they would be overkilled.

It would be better to upgrade my speakers and/or I would like to re-acquire an AKG K 1000 so my Signature 30.2 can still be of good use.

Alwayswantmore

Not exactly sure what you are looking for here. I've owned AKG K1000s, and feel they are fantastic headphones in the right system. I ran mine with Sig 30 or 30.2, cause I don't remember what was current when I sold my AKGs.

No matter what you do with K1000s, IMO they will never be able to match really good speakers in a good listening room. The advantage is the Ks don't care about the room or room set up, so that is a consideration.

In my case I moved to single drivers from Omega. And now I'm on Omega's latest with Super 6 monitors and Deep Hemp. I listen near field, so that's a bit akin to headphones (maybe 7-8 feet apart and a lesser distance from the plane of spkr fronts to ears). What I hear is a major step beyond the Ks.

Another potential area for upgrade is your DAC. I’ve only AB’ed RWA with one other premium DAC (Wavelength Cosecant), but feel Vinnie’s NOS DAC is superb for my musical tastes. Now you have the option to own his DAC that supports two modes: One for NOS and one for hi-res. I have not heard the hi-res version, but one RWA owner reported on AC the he preferred it for complex classical (if my memory serves accurately?). I listen to smaller works, like vocals and trios, where the NOS sounds so natural I love it.

Both RWA and Omega have good return policies and both are very good about giving product guidance if you send an e-mail or pick up the phone. Good luck whatever you decide.

If I would like to use my Signature 30.2 as passive preamp for monoblocks with ACI Emerald XL speakers then they would be overkilled.

It would be better to upgrade my speakers and/or I would like to re-acquire an AKG K 1000 so my Signature 30.2 can still be of good use.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com

Hi Alexander76,

The Signature 30.2 does a really nice job with the AKG K1000s. 

Yes, if you were just using the 30.2 as a passive volume control for a pair of monoblocks via the volume controlled line outs,  it would be a waist.  There are plenty of passive volume control units (e.g. CI Audio, Goldpoint, etc.) that do this for a lot less money.

Sincerely,

Vinnie