Here's why HPA-9 is the "best" headphone amp on the market

rustydoglim

This design details was just published today on the product page:

The following design features allow HPA-9 to outperform majority of the headphone amps on the market costing many times more.

JFET Input Stage: The single-ended JFET (Junction Field Effect Transistor) structure is powered by voltage with the characteristics of a solid-state semiconductor very much like a vacuum tube. The HPA-9 therefore produces a sound very close to a triode's. The high 2nd harmonic also contributes to the sound's warmth and neutrality, with an especially rich midrange.

The amplification circuit: The HITACHI 2SA872 and 2SC1775 transistors are no longer in production. However, we managed to acquire sufficient inventory for HPA-9. We have chosen these transistors because of three important features of a small-signal amplification transistor: high HFE for high current capability to power hard-to-drive headphones, wide bandwith (FT) and low output capacitance (low COB). The result is a natural, high-resolution, detailed and wide-bandwidth sound.

Non-feedback, pure Class A output stage design: Non-feedback design with very low nonlinear distortion is difficult to accomplish, but when achieved, provides a smooth sonic characteristic. The design's best example is the Swiss darTZeel NHB-108 amp priced at about $20,000USD. The HPA-9 uses a 40W transistor specification for the output stage and an extremely precise KOA 0.1R.13W resistor with ideally quiet current consumption. Such an innovative design makes the HPA-9 a one-of-a-kind headphone amp.

World-class power supply: HPA-9 uses twelve 2200uF capacitors to form a capacitor bank array, and when the auxiliary capacitors are included, provides 30400uF of reserved power capacity. We are not aware of any other headphone amp using such a design, typical rather of high-end power amps. The massive capacitance array provides abundant power to drive any high-impedance headphone.

Summary

To drive high impedance headphones properly by simply increasing headphone-amp power is insufficient. A brute- force, high-power design can cause the headphones to be played too loud, often resulting in long-term hearing loss. By providing large, instantaneous amounts of power through 30400uF capacitor array, a pure, Class A design of a high current and low impedance output stage, the HPA-9 is able to drive high-impedance headphones with ease while providing just the required amount of power for high efficiency earphones.

maty

I take my hat off
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2016, 08:29 pm »

Questions:

• Earphones output impedance?
  • Headphones output impedance?

rustydoglim

Re: Here's why HPA-9 is the "best" headphone amp on the market
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2016, 08:40 pm »
My engineer refuses to provide because he said it is not relevant.  :scratch:

maty

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2016, 08:51 pm »
 :o

The output impedance is MORE RELEVANT to dynamic headphones.

Headphone & Amp Impedance

-> http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2016, 06:27 am »
I will find out from our engineer. NuForce has a history with NWAVGuy on the uDAC design dispute that got him banned from head-fi.org (no, we were not involved at all on the shutting him out, that's not our way of doing things).
From what my engineer told me, it is not a straight forward issue with headphone amp output impedance and some people misunderstood the issue and will take article such as NWAVGuy wrote as guideline.
Anyway, I was an MSEE engineer in my early days of my career so I will check with my engineer again.
I also like to find out for my own curiosity.

I read the above article and it is very well written. My engineer better have a good answer :)

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2016, 07:30 am »
Wow even after all this time nwavguy rears his ugly head. He writes an interesting blog, but obfuscates with numbers and graphs and quite frankly very few people will understand correctly. He built his reputation by slagging on companies like Nuforce and Schiit and AMB Labs, and quite successfully widened the rift between objectivists and subjectivists. His odac isn't bad for the price. The O2 is a crock.

Output impedance is indeed not a straightforward thing to measure. If we treat it as a simplified block diagram like in that link above, then yeah you can calculate it with a voltage divider equation. With active circuitry into the link though, especially those that draw current for class A operation, as soon as you attach the multimeter then it tries to draw power from the multimeter too which completely mucks your readings. For even more fun, try measuring output impedance on a current-drive (rather than voltage drive) amplifier and you actually get an infinite output impedance. Whoops.

maty

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2016, 08:42 am »
I and others (or others and I) undestand the numbers and graphs and we have endeavored to learn! Since the massification of Internet people denies the intellectual effort.

My tweaked ODAC sounds incredible. The only drawback is the 24/88 FLAC. I do need 24/192 or DSD because 80% are very good vinyl rip 24/96 FLAC, from baroque, classical, jazz...

O2 has problems with headphones of 600 Ohms to play orchestral music (transients), but it is not a crock. Like most others with very low output impedance.

larsg

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2016, 07:59 pm »
Tested a HPA-9 as RIAA with Pro-Ject Turntable/Ortofon 2M Blue pick-up plugged in to a IDA-16 with AudioVector SR3 Avant Garde speakers today. WOW, it outperformed Pro-Ject, s top RIAA Phono Box RS by a mile!

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:48 am »
Tested a HPA-9 as RIAA with Pro-Ject Turntable/Ortofon 2M Blue pick-up plugged in to a IDA-16 with AudioVector SR3 Avant Garde speakers today. WOW, it outperformed Pro-Ject, s top RIAA Phono Box RS by a mile!

Hi Lars,

WOW!  That is good news, as I think the RS Box retails for around $999.

While the HPA-9 certainly doesn't have the feature set, at only $649 just having the same or better sound quality is astounding.

I don't have a lot of customers using the phono preamp feature, so your comment was appreciated.

Makes this unit a double whammy!!

larsg

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2016, 07:17 am »
It was tested at the Norwegian distributor of NuPrime who also has imported Pro-Ject for 15 years.
Switched between both RIAA,s many times and was really blown away everytime, HPA-9 had a open and lively sound with "PRAT" as NAIM call it.
Pro-Ject sounded flat and boring in direct comparison. They gonna sell HPA-9 as a RIAA with a bonus.
"Never a dull moment" with NuPrime  :D

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2016, 07:49 pm »

So is the phono board all analog, or does it go thru an ADA conversion like the IDA 8?  It's the only reason I didn't buy an IDA 8. 

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2016, 08:27 pm »
So is the phono board all analog, or does it go thru an ADA conversion like the IDA 8?  It's the only reason I didn't buy an IDA 8.

The HPA-9 has no DAC or digital stage, so it is all analog.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2016, 12:13 pm »

The following design features allow HPA-9 to outperform majority of the headphone amps on the market costing many times more.

JFET Input Stage: The single-ended JFET (Junction Field Effect Transistor) structure is powered by voltage with the characteristics of a solid-state semiconductor very much like a vacuum tube. The HPA-9 therefore produces a sound very close to a triode's. The high 2nd harmonic also contributes to the sound's warmth and neutrality, with an especially rich midrange.

The amplification circuit: The HITACHI 2SA872 and 2SC1775 transistors are no longer in production. However, we managed to acquire sufficient inventory for HPA-9. We have chosen these transistors because of three important features of a small-signal amplification transistor: high HFE for high current capability to power hard-to-drive headphones, wide bandwith (FT) and low output capacitance (low COB). The result is a natural, high-resolution, detailed and wide-bandwidth sound.

Non-feedback, pure Class A output stage design: Non-feedback design with very low nonlinear distortion is difficult to accomplish, but when achieved, provides a smooth sonic characteristic. The design's best example is the Swiss darTZeel NHB-108 amp priced at about $20,000USD. The HPA-9 uses a 40W transistor specification for the output stage and an extremely precise KOA 0.1R.13W resistor with ideally quiet current consumption. Such an innovative design makes the HPA-9 a one-of-a-kind headphone amp.

World-class power supply: HPA-9 uses twelve 2200uF capacitors to form a capacitor bank array, and when the auxiliary capacitors are included, provides 30400uF of reserved power capacity. We are not aware of any other headphone amp using such a design, typical rather of high-end power amps. The massive capacitance array provides abundant power to drive any high-impedance headphone.

Summary

To drive high impedance headphones properly by simply increasing headphone-amp power is insufficient. A brute- force, high-power design can cause the headphones to be played too loud, often resulting in long-term hearing loss. By providing large, instantaneous amounts of power through 30400uF capacitor array, a pure, Class A design of a high current and low impedance output stage, the HPA-9 is able to drive high-impedance headphones with ease while providing just the required amount of power for high efficiency earphones.

My dealer doesn't have in stock. Otherwise I could make review on DAR or in my blog (on English). I have
excellent Head Amp for compairing and 3 pairs of phones (HiFiMan HE-1000, Audeze LCD-X (recabled) and AudioQuest Nitghhawk.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2016, 12:15 pm »

Summary

Very interesting.

My dealer doesn't have in stock. Otherwise I could make review on http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/ or in my blog (on English). I have excellent Head Amp for compairing and 3 pairs of phones (HiFiMan HE-1000, Audeze LCD-X (recabled) and AudioQuest Nitghhawk.

dave_c

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2016, 06:49 pm »
How's the preamp stage on the HPA9?  I'm about to use it as a desktop Preamp for powered monitors and hoping that it's preamp stage wasn't an afterthought, but part of the initial design.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jun 2016, 07:29 pm »
I've got one on order from John so I'll let everyone know my impressions.  It just has to beat a vintage PS Audio 4.6 preamp for it to be a winner with me as a preamp.  And of course it has to beat my present head amps as well.  I don't think that's too much to ask from the best headphone amp on the market.  :wink:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:26 pm »
while providing just the required amount of power for high efficiency earphones

What does this mean. "Just" the required power for who? Some like it loud, some like it soft. What is their definition of a high eff. earphone? All seems vague to me and would be the first stumbling block regarding any purchase. Just saying.

Rocket Ronny

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:32 pm »
It is too deep for me to understand the engineering design even when my chief engineer tried to explain to me "how can a headphone amp be able to drive high and low impedance load to such an extreme with ease".
So, that's what users feedback, reviews and then finally, money back guarantee is about.  Try it and become a believer.  :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2016, 11:27 pm »
I am not talking about anything deep here. They are saying that it has just the right amount of power for high eff. phones. That means nothing to me. Anyway, sounds like a cool amp.

Rocket Ronny

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2016, 07:33 pm »
This might be obvious already: HPA-9 has two sets of stereo RCA outputs so you can configure it with
1. 2 X STA-9 Mono + 1 X STA-9 Stereo
or
2. 4 X STA-9 mono.