High quality desk top speaker? Full range drivers...

Danny Richie

I am thinking about bringing in some 3" full range drivers.

They are very nicely made.

FULL RANGE FREQUENCY RESPONSE down to a -3db of 100Hz.
· PAPER CONE WITH CLOTH SURROUND
· COPPER SHORT-RING
· ALUMINUM PHASE PLUG

The frequency response is very smooth and they sound very impressive. I set up a pair last night and listened for several hours. I used one of our servo subs to fill in the bottom end. The imaging and sound stage was awesome. Speed and resolution was also amazing. Super clear across the board even rivaling the Neo tweeter in my N3's. Vocals were also awesome.

They smoked my 3" full range drivers from TB and the 4" FR125's that I have been using as desk top speakers. I simply have not heard any of the full range drivers that have ever been through here sound this good and this balanced.

As one might expect they were a little thin below 200Hz. I am thinking of trying a small narrow design with the 3 incher up top and side load one of my M130 woofers to fill out the bottom end. I may be able to do a low frequency series network between the two of them with just two parts.

If this works out I may bring in a bunch of them. The price is not bad but I will need to commit to a lot of them. So I am looking for a little interest.

I might also come up with a thin narrow tower design. I could do a whole lifestyle series around these things.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: High quality desk top speaker? Full range drivers...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2013, 03:32 pm »
I could use a pair of desk tops.  Count me in.
Scott

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2013, 03:42 pm »
Me too Danny.   I've got a few ideas for them so let us know when they are in stock.

Wig

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2013, 03:48 pm »
This may be a good option for me as well since my teenagers listen to music at our desktop most of the day.

Do you have a cost in mind?

Will the drivers be covered?

Will it be plug and play w/o amplification?

Thanks,
Wig

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2013, 04:05 pm »
The price is not bad but I will need to commit to a lot of them. So I am looking for a little interest.
Do you have a vague, rough idea of price range?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2013, 05:42 pm »
You can count me in also. I'm definitely interested in a desktop and quite likely other versions as well.

Mike

cody69

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2013, 05:48 pm »
I'm definitely interested… have been thinking about this since Peter started an earlier thread on desktop speaker design.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103789.0

northshore

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2013, 05:55 pm »
A FAST design by GR Research in a desktop or narrow tower… widely appealing. I'd go for the tower, and vote for matching the 3” with an equally impressive (M165 or other?) low range.

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2013, 06:09 pm »
I see flat packs in the future.  Nice easy build with leftovers.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2013, 06:41 pm »
Interested as well, depending on price.

persisting1

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2013, 06:56 pm »
I'm interested.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2013, 07:28 pm »
I'm definitely interested… have been thinking about this since Peter started an earlier thread on desktop speaker design.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103789.0

I'm still enjoying these, by the way. They still surprise me on occasion. I did install rear facing tweeter which did exactly as Danny speculated, added some sparkle to the very top.

Danny, I'm always interested in your stuff. If they're affordable, it could also be good starting point for someone just getting into the game. Do define "not to bad" for us though :), different meaning for different folks, you know.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2013, 08:18 pm »
Sure, would love a pair or two of them in parallel for my work bench, etc. speakers.  A line source of them would be killer.  One of my fondest audio memories was of a line source of 9 3 inch drivers in series parallel......the guy added a modified fostex ribbon tweeter on the side....was super (we are talking mid 1980s here).  I think you would sell a ton of them!

jcotner

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2013, 08:32 pm »
The price is not bad but I will need to commit to a lot of them. So I am looking for a little interest.

Not bad is a relative term, esp. after what you took to RMAF  :lol:
I'm like some of the other guys, interested but awaiting pricing.
Great thoughts on a driver a lot of folks could make use of.

tasar

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2013, 09:34 pm »
maybe one of these can blow a little more air thru my Spawn back loaded horns. The TL design will cover the low end..... with Fostex these do acoustic string and voice very well.... I'm in for one !

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:36 pm »
Sure, would love a pair or two of them in parallel for my work bench, etc. speakers.  A line source of them would be killer.  One of my fondest audio memories was of a line source of 9 3 inch drivers in series parallel......the guy added a modified fostex ribbon tweeter on the side....was super (we are talking mid 1980s here).  I think you would sell a ton of them!

Running two of them in parallel causes some major comb filtering that really destroys the response. Using a line of them running full range is even worse. You wind up with no highs.

Trying one in a small open baffle right now. Looks good that way too.

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2013, 11:26 pm »
Sounds like fun could be had with this baby full ranger, with one of those interesting Servo 8's and the relevant amp.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2013, 12:16 am »
With a little baffle step compensation it is almost +/-2.5db. And it is really smooth through the critical range.

I got this out of it playing with it on a small open baffle that was 4.75" wide with rounded edges and a wing on one side.

Trismos

« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2013, 02:05 am »
I'm interested also.

jeffh

« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:05 am »
The thin narrow tower design would be nice for the living room.