jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: May want to wait a few weeks on that TV
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2008, 06:49 pm »
The counter-offensive by Sony's compeditors may be even more impressive than that.
Hell, if all goes well, we could very possibly have ourselves a good ol' fashion price war on our hands.  aa

Bob

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2008, 02:27 am »
sometime ignorance is bliss...  :duh:

I just purchased 3 HDTVs over the past 2 weeks. Good news is I got a deep discount on the smallest Pioneer Elite 720P, and rummer has it Pioneer is dropping out of 42" (and probably 720P) in the future. Tried the 50" Elite but it was too big for our viewing position. So I took advantage of getting Pioneer's screen and upscale technology in the smaller size before they become extinct (the close-out level discount helped too).

musicman06

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2008, 08:02 am »

I just purchased 3 HDTVs over the past 2 weeks. Good news is I got a deep discount on the smallest Pioneer Elite 720P, and rummer has it Pioneer is dropping out of 42" (and probably 720P) in the future. Tried the 50" Elite but it was too big for our viewing position. So I took advantage of getting Pioneer's screen and upscale technology in the smaller size before they become extinct (the close-out level discount helped too).

Actually they've announced they are leaving the TV business altogether... shame since they made the best screens around.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2008, 08:39 am »
We got a 2008 50 inch rear projection Sony Bravia last fall right after a $500 price drop and a $300 trade in offer from a local place.  We didn't need flat panel space saving/brighter picture)and it was still cheaper than the article's stated price for a 46 inch.  Now the Sony site doesn't list rear projection at all.  So I'm still feeling OK with the purchase.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2008, 12:31 pm »

Actually they've announced they are leaving the TV business altogether... shame since they made the best screens around.
Where did you hear that? Pioneer announced they will no longer make panels -- that will be outsourced to Panasonic. I think that they've announced a partnership with Sharp to co-build LCDs to extend their line (I'm pretty sure I heard this from one of the sales reps or read it somewhere). And I've heard a rummer they may drop the Elite series. But I've read nothing about leaving the business. If others know more on this I'd be interested to hear.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2008, 12:36 pm »

This is incorrect.

Pioneer is not leaving the TV business, they are simply going to stop manufacturing the panels.

George

tonyptony

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2008, 03:02 pm »

Don't feel bad musicman. The current Pioneer plasmas are being closed out at prices that will not be matched by equal size 9th Gen (9G) Pioneers coming out in June/July. If you don't need 1080p then getting a 720p Pioneer (Elite or otherwise) in the size you need is a decent move at these prices (IMO). I did the same for the Elite 1150HD. Delivered last week at a price well below what the 9G Elite 50" will be selling for when it comes out. There's enough anecdotal evidence indicating that the diff between the current 8G and the new 9G will not be as great as that from 7G to 8G, so if it makes sense for you you probably won't be trading off too much.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2008, 08:33 pm »

Don't feel bad musicman. The current Pioneer plasmas are being closed out at prices that will not be matched by equal size 9th Gen (9G) Pioneers coming out in June/July. If you don't need 1080p then getting a 720p Pioneer (Elite or otherwise) in the size you need is a decent move at these prices (IMO). I did the same for the Elite 1150HD. Delivered last week at a price well below what the 9G Elite 50" will be selling for when it comes out. There's enough anecdotal evidence indicating that the diff between the current 8G and the new 9G will not be as great as that from 7G to 8G, so if it makes sense for you you probably won't be trading off too much.
I am comfortable with my purchase, especially given the discounts now available. The other big reason I jumped is that several sales people indicated Pioneer may drop out of 42" altogether, and 50" is just too big for my room. So I took the 42" while it was still available. Currently they don't make 1080P in 42", so if you want Pioneer upscale, screen and adjustability -- at this size -- 720P is the only option.

tonyptony

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2008, 01:47 am »
I am comfortable with my purchase, especially given the discounts now available. The other big reason I jumped is that several sales people indicated Pioneer may drop out of 42" altogether, and 50" is just too big for my room. So I took the 42" while it was still available. Currently they don't make 1080P in 42", so if you want Pioneer upscale, screen and adjustability -- at this size -- 720P is the only option.

Pioneer will not be manufacturing 42" plasmas starting with the upcoming models. If you're going to sit more than about 7 feet away from the 42" you'll never miss 1080p.

rydenfan

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2008, 08:46 pm »

This is a totally false statement. Pioneer will be having their glass panels manufactured by Panasonic. All other build features and engineering will still be done by Pioneer. It is amazing how much stories change sometimes  :?