Pure Audio Project OB-A15Neo woofers

JMH

Pure Audio Project OB-A15Neo woofers
« on: 16 Aug 2018, 03:02 pm »
Hi,

I´m thinking of buying the PAP OB-A15Neo to upgrade my open baffle speakers. The specs looks good and the price isn´t too bad. But I am a little concerned about the dip in the frequency response at about 45 Hz. Will this be really noticeable? If it will be, is there any way to deal with this in the speaker design? I have an active setup, so I can of course just boost, but I would prefer to avoid that.

Does anyone here have or have heard the OB-A15Neo woofers? What are your impressions of them?

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
Re: Pure Audio Project OB-A15Neo woofers
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2018, 04:56 pm »
The low frequency dips are probably an anomaly of the measurement set-up and not a property of the driver's response.

I looked at the Pure Audio Project woofers a while back and I was more interested in the other 15"woofer offering with a ferrite magnet, not sure if it is still available. I have not heard either so this is just my opinion based on simulation studies..

JMH

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2018, 08:34 am »
The low frequency dips are probably an anomaly of the measurement set-up and not a property of the driver's response.

I looked at the Pure Audio Project woofers a while back and I was more interested in the other 15"woofer offering with a ferrite magnet, not sure if it is still available. I have not heard either so this is just my opinion based on simulation studies..

Thank you for your answer, MJK. It would be nice if the dips are just an anomaly. I have also looked at the ferrite version previously, but I think its discontinued.

Now I have Beta 15A's and think they are quite good. I am hoping the OB-A15Neo will give a even cleaner and detailed bass - low midrange. Dou you think it will be a good and wothwhile upgrade?

https://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/15inch-open-baffle-bass-woofers/

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2018, 07:08 pm »
I think the sound of the two drivers will be similar based on the spec sheets and them being both made by Eminence. The PAP has a slightly higher fs and Qts so maybe a little bit more efficient bass output but not quite as deep, probably a subtle difference as apposed to an oh my god did you hear that difference. I have not heard either so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2018, 11:15 pm »
Pm sent

jmpsmash

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2018, 10:53 pm »
Did you ended up getting it? would be interested in your comparison if you did.

Bumpy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2019, 05:41 pm »
Did you ended up getting it? would be interested in your comparison if you did.

Me too.

OB_Newbie

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2019, 06:21 pm »
Me three!!!

JMH

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2019, 12:51 pm »
Hi,

I got the woofers, but unfortunately it will be very hard for me to do a good comparison. The reason is that I built new speakers which are 6 cm wider (50 cm total) and have 7.5 cm wings on the back for support. The OB-A15Neo's goes a little deeper, with a few extra db (2-3) down to about 40 Hz. This may be just because of the extra width and wings. Other than that their frequency response look very similar.

I used the Beta 15A's in a 3-way up to 150 Hz. Now I have tried the OB-A15Neo's in a 2-way with a 3.3" full range driver crossed at 400 Hz, and a 2-way with a 1" compression driver (CD) and horn crossed at 950 Hz. There are very different configurations, which also makes it hard to do a comparison. But I can say that the Beta 15A's seemed to run out of xmax sometimes, while the OB-A15Neo's never seems to move more than 1-2 mm on same listening levels and music.

The OB-A15Neo's sounds really good crossed as high as 950 Hz, with a CD horn matching it's directivity at the crossover point. I dont't think the Beta 15A's would sound as good in this configuration. I think both are great woofers, but the OB-A15's are better. But if crossing over low (about 150 Hz) it might not be worth the extra cost.

nicoch

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2019, 06:59 pm »
HI JMH isn't more clean the bass ? that alu basket and neo need to do something  :)