Old amp 0utputs a loud POP upon power up

RileyD

Old amp 0utputs a loud POP upon power up
« on: 10 Jul 2022, 01:45 am »
I have a +/- 25 year old Rega Brio integrated amp that has been sitting unused for the last 15 years.  Now upon a cold start it outputs a loud POP to the speakers.  It's loud enough I am afraid the pop might damage my speakers.  The pop is not volume control dependent. If I power up from a warm start the pop if diminished, but still apparent.  Functionality and sound quality is fine once the pop is past.

What might be causing this?  Capacitors failing?  Hoping I can find an inexpensive fix.

This amp has a cult following and sells for between $300 and $400.

Thanks

SET Man

Re: Old amp 0utputs a loud POP upon power up
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2022, 01:52 am »
Hey!

If the amp had been sitting around that long without use likely those caps are deteriorated, especially electrolytic caps. But if is still work those caps might need to reform. I would open the amp up and check for any leakage of all electrolytic caps just to make sure.

Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2022, 02:07 am »
The caps was unused, energy empty for 15 years and suddenly they receive the full load voltage, they may get damaged in this shock.
A very slow soft start should have been made with a Variac

psycho1122

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2022, 02:39 pm »
Hello,

I recently performed a refurbish on some pre-amplifiers and amplifiers and found that there is a charge capacitor on the time delay relay turn on circuit. This capacitor could be out of specification allowing the relay to turn on in a shorter amount of time before the power supply has finished charging the capacitors thus you hear the POP.

If you have schematics, you could locate this circuit and ID the cap.

Sample simple circuit here...

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2022, 10:48 pm »
Turn On/Off pops are often caused by the DC plus and DC minus supplies turning on/off at different rates. Check the large DC supply caps.