Elac B6 upgrade

turbotime

Re: Elac B6 upgrade
« Reply #140 on: 10 Dec 2016, 08:10 pm »
Hey there... so I made a bit of a blunder... I won a set of B6 on ebay but failed to notice that the tweeters were not included... I got them for a decent enough of a deal so I dont feel too bad but now I need tweeters! Are the ones that they come with available? Or are there a better pair that I should get??

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #141 on: 10 Dec 2016, 11:45 pm »
Hey there... so I made a bit of a blunder... I won a set of B6 on ebay but failed to notice that the tweeters were not included... I got them for a decent enough of a deal so I dont feel too bad but now I need tweeters! Are the ones that they come with available? Or are there a better pair that I should get??

Thanks

I'd contact Elac to see if you can buy some exact replacements. Anything else will require a re-design of the crossover.

AlexRivera

« Reply #142 on: 13 Jan 2017, 01:24 am »
Just wanted to say thanks to Danny and Andrew, I'm new to this but after reading this thread and a bunch of other reviews about the ELAC Debut series  I decided to buy the whole lineup for my home theater and I'm really happy, all I can say is that I'm listening to music like I never had before.  :D

I got a pair of the B6, a pair of the F6, a pair of the A4 a C5 and one of the S12EQ. I didn't have a clue that they could be upgraded and now I'm excited, since my receiver is multi-zone I will get one of Danny's kits for my living room and depending on how that goes I'll think about getting my hands on the B6s.

Thanks again and happy to borrow any of this for research purposes  :D

Alex

Klipschhead281

« Reply #143 on: 19 Feb 2017, 10:28 pm »
I have a pair of B6's showing up tomorrow. After reading this thread it's going to be interesting how they compare the AV123 X-LS I bought from AV123 for the ridiculous price of $50.00 shipped right before they went under. I also have a prototype X-Plosive sub that I completed that runs with a pair of X-LS's in the master bedroom and a pair of X-LS's in the basement with a prototype MFW15.

Anyway, I am hoping the B6's are as good as people say, this thread really helps explain a lot, I'm glad I found it.

Klipschhead281

« Reply #144 on: 20 Feb 2017, 11:29 pm »
I have the B6's set up, I know they'll need some time running but initial impressions are the X-LS's have better or make that snappier bottom end but the treble is a tad better in the B6's. As for looks, the X-LS Rosewoods win hands down but then I wasn't buying the Elac's for their looks, hopefully the sound improves over time.

Klipschhead281

« Reply #145 on: 20 Feb 2017, 11:40 pm »
Another note, paired up with my MFW-15 they sound fantastic, the wife isn't happy so turning the sub off to run the B6's for a few hours.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #146 on: 21 Feb 2017, 01:17 am »
Klipschhead,

I've got one for you, upgrade your X-LS's to X-LS Encores then compare the tweeters. While you are at it, get the Sonicap and Mills resistor upgrades for the X-LS Encore crossovers. Yhen get ready to be amazed.

Mike

Klipschhead281

« Reply #147 on: 21 Feb 2017, 03:25 am »
Klipschhead,

I've got one for you, upgrade your X-LS's to X-LS Encores then compare the tweeters. While you are at it, get the Sonicap and Mills resistor upgrades for the X-LS Encore crossovers. Yhen get ready to be amazed.

Mike

I was going to do that back when the Skiing Ninja was offering them, I should have. I am thinking about it again, they are pretty good, all they need is a bit of help in the top end.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #148 on: 21 Feb 2017, 03:51 am »
The Encore tweeters definitely bring what you're looking for.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #149 on: 21 Feb 2017, 05:08 am »
I was going to do that back when the Skiing Ninja was offering them, I should have. I am thinking about it again, they are pretty good, all they need is a bit of help in the top end.

For the basic upgrade you would need the tweeter with a special faceplate to fit the classic tweeter opening and the fully assembled crossover board.

You can upgrade the stock crossover board by replacing the caps and resistors with Sonicaps and Mills resistors. This is pretty easy to do and only requires a decent soldering iron and basic soldering skills.

If you want a full blown crossover upgrade like the Ninja used to do it is certainly doable. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, there are a few of us here on AC that can build it for you.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #150 on: 21 Feb 2017, 02:39 pm »
I stock the tweeters with the larger face plate, and I have sold the tweeters and crossovers together for $96. And that's for a pair.

bmx045

« Reply #151 on: 24 Jan 2018, 12:14 am »
Dan, I just finished the level 1 mod, everything is soldered securely and in tact. I used the identical caps and resistors as you did from sonicap/mills. It seems like the low end of my B6's are not what they used to be. Have you measured any changes on the low frequ? I see that the charts posted are the higher end. thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #152 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:27 pm »
Dan, I just finished the level 1 mod, everything is soldered securely and in tact. I used the identical caps and resistors as you did from sonicap/mills. It seems like the low end of my B6's are not what they used to be. Have you measured any changes on the low frequ? I see that the charts posted are the higher end. thanks

The only change to the bottom end from the level 1 mod is the installation of the No Rez. The No Rez will tighten up the lower end and clean up the lower vocal region. So some of the cabinet resonances that colored the bottom end are gone. Maybe you are missing a little added zing that isn't there anymore and was actual never part of the music signal.

bmx045

« Reply #153 on: 24 Jan 2018, 06:22 pm »
Haven't done the no rez yet. Perhaps that's the culprit. Also- the stock padding inside the b6, how should it be laid out? Should they only line the inner walls? Because one pad is horizontal on top of the woofer. Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #154 on: 24 Jan 2018, 07:24 pm »
Haven't done the no rez yet. Perhaps that's the culprit. Also- the stock padding inside the b6, how should it be laid out? Should they only line the inner walls? Because one pad is horizontal on top of the woofer. Thanks

Once the cabinet is lined with No Rez then a loose fill of poly fill or fiberglass insulation can be used behind the woofer. Put the No Rez on all walls. 

gkannan

« Reply #155 on: 3 Mar 2018, 07:45 pm »
Hello Mr. Danny Richie,

I recently acquired a B6 and went through with the level 1 upgrade only on the crossover. I have still not added additional damping inside the cabinet .

The upper midrange has opened up and the highs are now more distinct.

I am in India and have no source for No Rez. Can you suggest any alternate material and how I should lay it inside the cabinet.

Thanks
Kannan

Danny Richie

« Reply #156 on: 4 Mar 2018, 02:24 pm »
Hello Mr. Danny Richie,

I recently acquired a B6 and went through with the level 1 upgrade only on the crossover. I have still not added additional damping inside the cabinet .

The upper midrange has opened up and the highs are now more distinct.

I am in India and have no source for No Rez. Can you suggest any alternate material and how I should lay it inside the cabinet.

Thanks
Kannan

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the upgrade.

See if you can find some type of heavy industrial floor tiles. Line the cabinets with it then add about a 1" open cell foam layer. You can then tweak the tuning with a light amount of fiberglass insulation or polyfill.

gkannan

« Reply #157 on: 5 Mar 2018, 02:45 am »
I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the upgrade.

See if you can find some type of heavy industrial floor tiles. Line the cabinets with it then add about a 1" open cell foam layer. You can then tweak the tuning with a light amount of fiberglass insulation or polyfill.

Yes sir,

I have some floor tiles lying around. I presume the idea is to add weight to the enclosure to reduce resonance. But how do I affix it to the MDF (normally in India we use white cement to fix it to the floor). Won't this reduce the inner volume of the enclosure.

Can the same me done on the outside. i.e I mean can I fix the tiles instead on the exterior and add the fiberglass to the inner walls.

One more clarification, there is one more cap and resistor in the crossover, can I swap that too with a higher quality one?

In one of your posts in this thread where you have completely rebuilt the crossover, I see you have used rubber speaker terminals. What exactly is that?

Thanks
Kannan

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #158 on: 5 Mar 2018, 04:05 am »
I'm pretty sure Danny isn't talking about clay or ceramic floor tiles. I believe he is talking about the Armstrong type which are a vinyl composition tile. They come in 1 foot squares and I found this part number  FP51904031. These are glued on with an adhesive that is made for the purpose.

I used these in my laundry room 25 years ago and they cost about a buck a piece. It looks like they are still about the same price. Not sure if you have these tiles but guessing you have something similar.

gkannan

« Reply #159 on: 5 Mar 2018, 07:06 am »
I'm pretty sure Danny isn't talking about clay or ceramic floor tiles. I believe he is talking about the Armstrong type which are a vinyl composition tile. They come in 1 foot squares and I found this part number  FP51904031. These are glued on with an adhesive that is made for the purpose.

I used these in my laundry room 25 years ago and they cost about a buck a piece. It looks like they are still about the same price. Not sure if you have these tiles but guessing you have something similar.

Yes...we do get vinyl tiles and I think these are totally different from the normal tiles and is affixed with glue. I have not yet seen one though. Will check that out and also wait for Mr. Danny's advice.