Coffee grinders (burr) electric

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Coffee grinders (burr) electric
« Reply #60 on: 24 Sep 2023, 08:39 pm »
My friend has that Kitchen Aid... much quieter than my Gaggia, and probably just as well built.  It does occupy quite a bit of cabinet space.   

I made room for it by moving my KitchenAid stand mixer into the lower cabinets.  I use the grinder far more often than I use my mixer.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #61 on: 25 Sep 2023, 05:28 am »
Very thankyou for your detailed reply, much appreciated.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #62 on: 25 Sep 2023, 10:55 am »
Baratza - Virtuoso for drip coffee and Sette 270 for espresso. Very happy with both.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #63 on: 25 Sep 2023, 10:59 am »
I use the older KitchenAid burr grinder the "Contour" model which I guess they don't make anymore.  The thing is a freaking beast:

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCG0702CS-Coffee-Grinder-Contour/dp/B00XPRQW2A?th=1

The KitchenAid is also my grinder.  A very durable product, not the best espresso grinder, but great at other grinds.

twitch54

« Reply #64 on: 25 Sep 2023, 01:42 pm »
Switched to an OXO grinder last winter, I couldn't be happier   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #65 on: 25 Sep 2023, 04:10 pm »
The KitchenAid is also my grinder.  A very durable product, not the best espresso grinder, but great at other grinds.

Agreed, I use the KitchenAid for the times I make coffee with my Aeropress.  For Espresso I have a Gaggia Brera:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #66 on: 25 Sep 2023, 05:26 pm »
I recently got one of these, with a little bit of practice it makes better espresso than anything else I've tried. I have a $2500 spring lever machine, this is better. The reason is you can adjust on the fly for how the shot is running. You can change preinfusion pressure and length, as well as shot pressure profile depending on flow and feel. Once you get it down you can really optimize every shot.

I should disclose a friend of mine owns the business, and the Espresso Forge is made in the USA, including machining the parts.

https://espressoforge.com/

ctviggen

« Reply #67 on: 26 Sep 2023, 02:28 pm »
That manual espresso maker is super interesting.  Almost makes me want to make espresso.  (I cold brew coffee, as I find it more efficient in the morning to drink that way; I prepare it the night before.)

jandrews

« Reply #68 on: 26 Sep 2023, 03:01 pm »
Not sure if Baratza has been mentioned but they are very highly recommended by coffee professionals, roasters, baristas , etc...for a home grinder.
You can always buy parts for them , even for their discontinued models.
I have a 15 year old Maestro with a separate weighing unit called the Esato which connects to the grinder and allows me to auto grind a precise amount.  I've replaced the burrs with better ones from Baratza and other small parts that wear out.
Many of their current offerings have the weighing/scale feature built in if that's important.
Some of the grinders are more "geared" towards coffee and some more towards espresso.
Even their base model, the Encore is an excellent unit.
They are an Italian company but have a service center in the Pacific Northwest...I think Seattle.

https://www.baratza.com/landing/product/grinders

Denton J

« Reply #69 on: 17 Jan 2024, 03:31 pm »
Switched to an OXO grinder last winter, I couldn't be happier   :thumb:

Just purchased the OXO. Can't wait to try it out.

mav52

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jan 2024, 03:47 pm »
I just do drip in a Moccamaster and its a medium-coarse grind.  The Baratza Encore ( grind 18-20, with a fine calibration setting) and our OXO ( grind 9 ).  The only difference is the cost comparison as far as drip goes..   The Encore, just a little messy.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2024, 02:28 pm by mav52 »

keenween

« Reply #71 on: 17 Jan 2024, 04:35 pm »
I have a Baratza Encore for french press...I really don't like it. It grinds well, but its noisy, slow and makes a mess.

I have a Eureka Silenzio for espresso and its been great, thinking of trying a Eureka Filtro to replace the Baratza.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #72 on: 17 Jan 2024, 06:39 pm »
I have a Baratza Encore for french press...I really don't like it. It grinds well, but its noisy, slow and makes a mess.

I have a Eureka Silenzio for espresso and its been great, thinking of trying a Eureka Filtro to replace the Baratza.

I, too, own an Encore. I like it, but I must agree with your comments about its being noisy and it spews grounds with every grind.

Not sure if Baratza has been mentioned but they are very highly recommended by coffee professionals, roasters, baristas , etc...for a home grinder.
You can always buy parts for them , even for their discontinued models.
I have a 15 year old Maestro with a separate weighing unit called the Esato which connects to the grinder and allows me to auto grind a precise amount.  I've replaced the burrs with better ones from Baratza and other small parts that wear out.
Many of their current offerings have the weighing/scale feature built in if that's important.
Some of the grinders are more "geared" towards coffee and some more towards espresso.
Even their base model, the Encore is an excellent unit.
They are an Italian company but have a service center in the Pacific Northwest...I think Seattle.

https://www.baratza.com/landing/product/grinders

The design and engineering teams for Baratza grinders are based at their HQ in Seattle, while the grinders are manufactured out of the factory in Taiwan."

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #73 on: 17 Jan 2024, 06:44 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLnB99VJ0HE