RM10, attenuate input sensitivity?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
RM10, attenuate input sensitivity?
« on: 29 Apr 2013, 02:21 pm »
Considering RM10 in the future. 

What is least intrusive/most transparent method to attenuate input sensitivity?     

mick wolfe

Re: RM10, attenuate input sensitivity?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2013, 03:39 pm »
Considering RM10 in the future. 

What is least intrusive/most transparent method to attenuate input sensitivity?   

I have a friend who uses a product called Golden Jacks. Seem to work  just fine for him in a very hi-end system. I believe it's an English product and can be bought with varying degrees of attenuation.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2013, 04:54 pm »
Sorry, I omitted my intention to do this internally, not externally.  I'm familiar with external methods.

I presume some pre-existing component(s) can be swapped with alternate values to diminish sensitivity.  Such would not alter/detract from performance as would any external method. 

Clio09

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2013, 05:39 pm »
Not sure if this answers your question, but in my RM-10 MKII manual on page 17 there is a chart that explains how to change the gain of the amplifier. It is done by changing the value of the feedback resistors in position R 108 and R 208. Depending on the values the sensitivity can range from .17V to 2.2V. When changing the value of the resistors it appears you must also change the value of the capacitors in positions C 103 and C 203.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2013, 06:00 pm »
Yes, thank you, that is exactly the type of info I wanted to confirm.  I'll confirm the necessary attenuation later.  That is a very useful and wide range of input sensitivity. 

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2013, 02:48 am »
We make nice attenuator in a little metal box also. Anyone who can solder can put a voltage divider inside the amp at the input jack.  One 22 K in series and one 22 k in parallel to ground will drop the gain 6 dB. Other ratios are easily calculated.