BDP-2 Digital Player

AG

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #2000 on: 28 Oct 2018, 03:56 pm »
Hi,
Can one of the USB ports be configured to accept a wi-fi dongle?
Thanks
AG

gbaby

« Reply #2001 on: 28 Oct 2018, 05:24 pm »
Hi,
Can one of the USB ports be configured to accept a wi-fi dongle?
Thanks
AG

Sure. All you need is Bryston's upgrade to I believe 2.36 and to purchase its USB google for about $80.00. I chose to have my unit upgraded to the BDP-3 and I now have built in wi-fi.

zoom25

« Reply #2002 on: 28 Oct 2018, 05:39 pm »

akosgyorfi

« Reply #2003 on: 28 Oct 2018, 06:14 pm »
okay thank you
So i plug that stick in one of the usb sockets. What happens next? How do i configure it?

akosgyorfi

« Reply #2004 on: 5 Nov 2018, 02:06 pm »
I contacted PMC in the UK about this stick and its availability and pricing with no response.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2005 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:13 pm »
okay thank you
So i plug that stick in one of the usb sockets. What happens next? How do i configure it?

Follow these steps and if its compatible it should get you up and running.  If its still not working you could try a factory reset, but you may want to backup your playlists first

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/WiFi/BDP%20WiFi%20Adapter-draft%201.pdf

Chris

gbaby

« Reply #2006 on: 7 Nov 2018, 10:15 pm »
I would strongly urge anyone with a BDP-2 to upgrade it to the BDP-3 with built in wi-fi. I had my unit upgraded to the BDP-3 and it was the best decision of the year. I got two extra USB ports as well as wi-fi, and much improved sound. As good as the BDP-2 sounded, the upgraded BDP-3 sounds even better particularly in USB. I am finding myself using USB more than ever. The sound has better stereo imaging, its more linear (especially the bass) and overall has more air and separation around all the instruments. Not being an audio wordsmith, its hard for me to articulate the improvements, but its there. Everything that Stereophile said about the upgrade in December of '17 is true.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2007 on: 7 Nov 2018, 11:18 pm »
The BDP-x has no analog output. It doesn't "sound" like anything. It's a stripped-down, dedicated computer, basically, that feeds a digital signal to a hi-end DAC. It's the DAC that's shaping the sound profile of my system.

And I love the BDP-2/BDA-1 combo. Pure analog, no digititis. No hiccups with wireless op, either.   :thumb:

cheers

ns

« Reply #2008 on: 16 Nov 2018, 08:38 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions:

In the Bryston app under Audio Devices I have three things: ESI Juli@-ICE1724, ESI Juli@1724 IEC958, and Bryston USB Audio 2.0-USB Audio (DSD Enabled)
All have Enable/Disable buttons. I have the Bryston USB Audio ticked and enabled. Do the other 2 (ESI Juli@) have to be enabled or disabled? Switching them on/off makes no difference.

When I know I am going to be listiening over the whole weekend (or longer) I usually leave the whole system on. Is this OK also for the BDP-2 (and I guess for the BDA-2 also)? Or should it be turned off when not in use. How long can it sit idle and is it OK?

Many thanks.
NS.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #2009 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:45 pm »
Hi ns,

1. Should be ok if you hear no diffs when ticking the other boxes.

2. definitely ok to leave both "on". not big power consumers, either of them. I prefer to power down my power amp and linestage when not in use.

cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2010 on: 16 Nov 2018, 07:32 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions:

In the Bryston app under Audio Devices I have three things: ESI Juli@-ICE1724, ESI Juli@1724 IEC958, and Bryston USB Audio 2.0-USB Audio (DSD Enabled)
All have Enable/Disable buttons. I have the Bryston USB Audio ticked and enabled. Do the other 2 (ESI Juli@) have to be enabled or disabled? Switching them on/off makes no difference.

When I know I am going to be listiening over the whole weekend (or longer) I usually leave the whole system on. Is this OK also for the BDP-2 (and I guess for the BDA-2 also)? Or should it be turned off when not in use. How long can it sit idle and is it OK?

Many thanks.
NS.

If the button says "Enabled" then that output device is currently disabled and clicking the button will enable it.  The check boxes for each audio output tells the BDP its all right to output DSD on those outputs, so you'll only want to check the ones that are DSD capable.  I've generally left my units on 24/7 and they are generally original prototypes and are still going, so it should fine to leave it on for the weekend. 

Chris

ns

« Reply #2011 on: 19 Nov 2018, 03:14 pm »
Great, thanks Chris and CandianMaestro  :D

bjski

« Reply #2012 on: 20 Nov 2018, 11:26 pm »
I would strongly urge anyone with a BDP-2 to upgrade it to the BDP-3 with built in wi-fi. I had my unit upgraded to the BDP-3 and it was the best decision of the year. I got two extra USB ports as well as wi-fi, and much improved sound. As good as the BDP-2 sounded, the upgraded BDP-3 sounds even better particularly in USB. I am finding myself using USB more than ever. The sound has better stereo imaging, its more linear (especially the bass) and overall has more air and separation around all the instruments. Not being an audio wordsmith, its hard for me to articulate the improvements, but its there. Everything that Stereophile said about the upgrade in December of '17 is true.

I have a BDP-3 and just paid for my upgraded BDP-2 which will ship back to me Thursday. Highly recommended!👍
To bad we couldn’t upgrade SST/2 amps.

Rod_S

« Reply #2013 on: 21 Nov 2018, 01:54 pm »
How does the BDP determine and display file resolution? Is it from the metadata or from the actual file itself? I noticed something odd in comparison to what my BDP and Oppo 205 were showing as resolution for a few files. The Oppo was showing as 16 bits whereas the BDP was showing 24 bits. These aren't my own personal file rips but some I got from a friend who in turn got from someone :) and I was under the impression as was he they were 24 bit. The meta data shows 24 bit so I'm curious why one device sees 24 while the other sees 16.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #2014 on: 21 Nov 2018, 02:24 pm »
The Oppo was showing as 16 bits whereas the BDP was showing 24 bits. These aren't my own personal file rips but some I got from a friend who in turn got from someone :) and I was under the impression as was he they were 24 bit. The meta data shows 24 bit so I'm curious why one device sees 24 while the other sees 16.

Not sure why -- could be that one (Oppo) is not reading the file metadata correctly? (assuming that it is indeed a 24-bit file).

Bigger picture is whether circulating music files that were ripped from disc is legal.....  :roll:

Rod_S

« Reply #2015 on: 21 Nov 2018, 03:03 pm »
I suppose I could do a test, simply update the meta data to switch it from saying 24 to 16 and see if that has any impact on both devices. That would at least tell me where the devices gets the information from. If they are both unaffected though that would be puzzling as to me what I'm seeing only makes sense if one device relies solely on the accuracy of the meta data while the other actually reads the file itself.

My BDP is going digitally into my SSP via AES/EBU so I could look at what the SSP is displaying to see if it matches the BDP or differs. I know the SSP displays the kHz I just can't remember if it also displays the bit depth. Unfortunately I can't do this with the Oppo because it's going analog into my SSP so the SSP doesn't know what the digital file was before conversion.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #2016 on: 21 Nov 2018, 05:01 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions:

Many thanks.
NS.

Hi Chris, & everyone,

How is it that I don't find those 3 things (ESI Juli@-ICE1724, ESI Juli@1724 IEC958, and Bryston USB Audio 2.0-USB Audio (DSD Enabled))

Audio Devices shows as the following screenshot:

Thanks in advance.

Fernando.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2017 on: 22 Nov 2018, 06:17 pm »
Hi Chris, & everyone,

How is it that I don't find those 3 things (ESI Juli@-ICE1724, ESI Juli@1724 IEC958, and Bryston USB Audio 2.0-USB Audio (DSD Enabled))

Audio Devices shows as the following screenshot:

Thanks in advance.

Fernando.

Hi Fernando

"ESI Juli@-ICE1724, ESI Juli@1724 IEC958" only show up on BDP-1's or early/mid BDP-2's that still have the original ESI Juli@ sound card.
"Bryston USB Audio 2.0-USB Audio (DSD Enabled)" Is specific to one of our DAC's

The screenshot you took appears normal for a BDP with our Bryston IAD installed in it.

Chris

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #2018 on: 24 Nov 2018, 01:08 pm »

The screenshot you took appears normal for a BDP with our Bryston IAD installed in it.

Chris

good news Chris.

Rod_S

« Reply #2019 on: 27 Nov 2018, 02:28 pm »
I suppose I could do a test, simply update the meta data to switch it from saying 24 to 16 and see if that has any impact on both devices. That would at least tell me where the devices gets the information from. If they are both unaffected though that would be puzzling as to me what I'm seeing only makes sense if one device relies solely on the accuracy of the meta data while the other actually reads the file itself.

My BDP is going digitally into my SSP via AES/EBU so I could look at what the SSP is displaying to see if it matches the BDP or differs. I know the SSP displays the kHz I just can't remember if it also displays the bit depth. Unfortunately I can't do this with the Oppo because it's going analog into my SSP so the SSP doesn't know what the digital file was before conversion.

I located the root of the issue. The Oppo was technically displaying what it was seeing/being provided from the NAS. The problem was the DLNA settings on the NAS were set to transcode so for what ever reason the NAS didn't think the Oppo could deal with 24 bits and transcoded to 16 bits. Once I turned that off the Oppo immediately showed 24 bits. I was able to see the actual true resolution by navigating to the NAS via the SMB option rather than the DLNA option which I had been using all along.

So based on this I can only assume the BDP-2 gets the files either through SMB or NFS because if it was DLNA it would have had the same issue as the Oppo.