Balanced Amplifier for Philharmonic BMR speakers

dragonma

Balanced Amplifier for Philharmonic BMR speakers
« on: 29 Jul 2021, 09:18 am »
Can anyone recommend an balanced amplifier with decent wattage to drive the Philharmonic BMR speakers which i'm looking into building?  They have low sensitivity at 85db.  I don't want any class D amps because I heard those amps tend to have a leaner sounding bass and I like good full sounding bass.  My preamp has  balanced outputs so I'm hoping the amp will have balanced inputs as well.  My budget is around $1000-1500.

mick wolfe

Re: Balanced Amplifier for Philharmonic BMR speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2021, 03:54 pm »
At that price point and provided your pre-amp also has single ended outputs, I probably wouldn't prioritize XLR's over single ended. This especially if you only using a typical 1 meter IC. Now if you have have a much longer run or your entire system is balanced, that's a different story.

dragonma

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2021, 04:15 pm »
The source is a Burson preamp/Dac with balanced outputs as well so that's why I wanted the balanced amp to keep that balanced chain.  If it's not possible with my budget for a new amp, I am open to suggestions such as an DIY amp kit or used/vintage.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2021, 05:19 pm »
It'd stretch your budget some at $800 ea., but I've been satisfied with pair of Schiit Aegirs for some time now.

nc42acc

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2021, 06:01 pm »
Purifi Class D

ksbruce

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2021, 06:14 pm »
There is a large thread over at AVS Forum. Dennis Murphy posts frequently.

Factorz

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2021, 07:02 pm »
I'm currently running my BMR speakers with a Black Ice F22. Technically it's a integrated but never had a issue driving the speakers to suitable levels.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2021, 07:21 pm »
There is a large thread over at AVS Forum. Dennis Murphy posts frequently.

Beware. There's a contingent there that can jump all over you if you mention that cables and electronics make a difference in sound quality.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2021, 11:12 pm »
The source is a Burson preamp/Dac with balanced outputs as well so that's why I wanted the balanced amp to keep that balanced chain.  If it's not possible with my budget for a new amp, I am open to suggestions such as an DIY amp kit or used/vintage.

Absolutely no experience with this amp, but at $1595, (list) the Parasound Halo A23 has both single ended and XLR inputs. Power range ...160 into 8, 250 into 4. Shop around. You may find it discounted with possibly an audition period with return privilege. The  downside is that just because a component features XLR input or outputs, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a fully balanced design.

mhconley

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2021, 12:20 pm »
Absolutely no experience with this amp, but at $1595, (list) the Parasound Halo A23 has both single ended and XLR inputs. Power range ...160 into 8, 250 into 4. Shop around. You may find it discounted with possibly an audition period with return privilege. The  downside is that just because a component features XLR input or outputs, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a fully balanced design.

I owned an A23 and an A21. A21’s typically go for $1,500 used. Buy one if you can afford it. Great amp with lots of power. I was happy with the A23 but found the extra headroom afforded by the A21 irresistible.

Do you have the Burson Conductor 3X Reference? If so how do you like it? I’ve been eyeing one for some time.

Lastly, I would not dismiss class D amps so easily, I’ve always found them to have full, rich slamming bass. I replaced my A21 with a pair of ICEpower 1000ASP based monoblocks. They just seem to have more punch and headroom for days.

Good luck,
Martin