Pairing front end and power to the Nxtremes and servo subs

Answer2No1

Greetings,
Like many here, I am anxiously awaiting shipment of the Nxtreme kits and flat packs.  It's nice not to suffer alone!  So thanks to all of you for kindly sharing your pain with the group!

I am currently stuck outside the country and unable to travel due to the Covid situation here and my work.

But I have made the decision and commitment to the Nxtremes and servo subs and am very lucky to have a friend/relative who shares my affliction and has a set of tools that rival Spicoli's father's.  So he has very graciously agreed to build mine at the same time as he builds his own. 

Given that it will be a long time before I can hear them, I am focusing now on putting together the front end of what I hope will be my end game system.  I am interested to hear from anyone who has the Nxtremes/Oticas or Nx family/servo combos what you are driving them with and what your impressions are.  I am especially interested in folks who are using tube front end and amplifier components to hear how you would characterize the sound of your system.

I know that Danny is driving with 300B mono blocks, and I am considering that.  But I will be putting these in a larger space and like to listen to dynamic music on the loud side.  So I think that I will need more power and extra headroom than the 300Bs will offer in that environment. I'm leaning toward 211 or 845 tubes which would put me in the 20-30 watt / channel range.

I am drawn to warm, spacious, live (feeling) sound.  I like texture, soundstage, and detail, but do not appreciate a sound that is voiced too bright in the highs.

I would appreciate anyone sharing their systems and experience here.  [ADDED]  My budget for amp(s) and pre-amp(s) is to hopefully keep it in the $2-4K range.   

Thanks for all you do guys (and gals).
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2021, 03:21 am by Answer2No1 »

mkrawcz

Re: Pairing front end and power to the Nxtremes and servo subs
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2021, 02:23 pm »
My suggestion would be to build a Folsom 7293 dual mono and get a tube preamp like a Schiit Freya+. This my current setup on my NX-Studios and it’s spectacular. The Folsom/Schitt combo goes head to head with the PS Audio BHK300/BHK preamp setup on my NX-Oticas. The Folsom amp creates the most holographic soundstage I have ever heard from an amp.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2021, 05:18 pm »
Do you have an idea of what you want to spend on your electronics?

I have used a number of different electronics with my NX-Otica MTM/ Dual Servo Sub speakers ranging from 5wpc integrated tube amps to 600wpc hybrid separates.

My current electronics, and the ones I like the best, are all PS Audio connected fully balanced except for the music server and a power conditioner:      https://www.psaudio.com/   

Stellar M1200 hybrid mono blocks - tube input stage / Class D output stage - 1,200wpc into 4 Ohms / 600 into 8 Ohms
BHK Signature Preamp - hybrid tube input stage Class A MOSFET output stage   
Stellar Phono Preamp
DirectStream DAC Sr.
PerfectWave SACD Transport
Stellar P3 Power Plant powering the front end gear
PI Audio Group UBER BUSS powering the M1200s
Custom built PC music server

For an all tube option, the Raven Audio Avian series integrated amps ( https://www.ravenaudio.com/product-category/amplifiers/avian-series/ ) would be an excellent choice. There are three models in this series which produce between 20 and 30wpc into 8 Ohms. All three of these models have subwoofer outputs and high pass crossover control which allows you to attenuate the low frequencies sent to the power amp section while sending a full range signal to the subwoofers. This reduces the load on the power amp allowing it to perform like a much more powerful amp, which increases the headroom available to drive the speakers.

As for cost, the Raven Audio Avian integrated amps run from $3,000 - $5,300 while the PS Audio BHK preamp and M1200 monoblocks list for $12,000 though with PS Audio's trade-in program the cost can go as low as $8,400 plus what ever you trade in.

To piggyback on mkrawcz's suggestion, to the  $900 Schiit Audio Freya+ ( https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1 ) add an Aegir power amp ( https://www.schiit.com/products/aegir ) run in stereo mode ($800) or a pair of Aegirs run as monoblocks ($1,600).

These are just three possibilities and they range from $1,700 - $12,000. There are many good options out there to fit any budget.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2021, 08:34 pm »
I am drawn to warm, spacious, live (feeling) sound.  I like texture, soundstage, and detail, but do not appreciate a sound that is voiced too bright in the highs.

A live feeling, detailed but not bright is exactly how the PS Audio Stellar M1200 hybrid mono blocks sound. I had those amps on loan for a couple of weeks and they are a big WOW. I like my sound a little more relaxed but it took my ears quite a while to adjust back to the slightly warmer Van Alstine SET 400.

The SET 400 is like a Subaru Outback XT, it's comfy, grips the road and goes from 0 to 60 mph in fast 5.9 seconds.
The M1200 is like a Tesla Model 3 that goes from 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds.

An Amp Comparison: PS Audio Stellar M1200 and AVA Vision SET 400

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176173.0

"I think all audiophiles (and electronics designers) should hear the PS Audio Stellar M1200 in their system just to hear what super fast unlimited power sounds like, this amp is like a high performing race car."

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2021, 09:52 pm »
If it were me, I'd do the Don Sachs SP14 Preamp and Kootenay power amp. 

Answer2No1

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2021, 02:44 am »
My suggestion would be to build a Folsom 7293 dual mono and get a tube preamp like a Schiit Freya+. This my current setup on my NX-Studios and it’s spectacular. The Folsom/Schitt combo goes head to head with the PS Audio BHK300/BHK preamp setup on my NX-Oticas. The Folsom amp creates the most holographic soundstage I have ever heard from an amp.

Hi Mkrawcz,
Thank you for your reply, suggestion and impressions.  That is something I've wondered about and one of the reasons I joined the forum.  I will explore that option.  It may be the best cost option for starting the journey.

Cheers!

Answer2No1

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2021, 03:01 am »
Do you have an idea of what you want to spend on your electronics?

For an all tube option, the Raven Audio Avian series integrated amps ( https://www.ravenaudio.com/product-category/amplifiers/avian-series/ ) would be an excellent choice. There are three models in this series which produce between 20 and 30wpc into 8 Ohms. All three of these models have subwoofer outputs and high pass crossover control which allows you to attenuate the low frequencies sent to the power amp section while sending a full range signal to the subwoofers. This reduces the load on the power amp allowing it to perform like a much more powerful amp, which increases the headroom available to drive the speakers.

As for cost, the Raven Audio Avian integrated amps run from $3,000 - $5,300 while the PS Audio BHK preamp and M1200 monoblocks list for $12,000 though with PS Audio's trade-in program the cost can go as low as $8,400 plus what ever you trade in.

To piggyback on mkrawcz's suggestion, to the  $900 Schiit Audio Freya+ ( https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1 ) add an Aegir power amp ( https://www.schiit.com/products/aegir ) run in stereo mode ($800) or a pair of Aegirs run as monoblocks ($1,600).

These are just three possibilities and they range from $1,700 - $12,000. There are many good options out there to fit any budget.

mlundy57,
Thank you very much for sharing your equipment list (very impressive) and several options at different levels.  Sorry for not posting the obvious in my original post.

I would like to keep the amps and pre-amps in the initial system in the $2-$4,000 range.  I like a variety of music, and in that price range I'm thinking I would end up with a couple options to suit the listening situation.  I am completely open to high quality DIY kits for value and to enable me to reach the goal of having enough high quality, yet not bank-breaking gear to suit my needs.  Each piece would need to punch above it's class to reach this goal.  I will also need a very high quality DAC or a couple less expensive, still high quality DAC options for different listening as well.  That would be a seperate budget $2K for now.

Thanks again for your replies and ideas.  I will look into your suggestions.

minotaur

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2021, 05:51 pm »
wrong thread was thinking of sorry.

mkrawcz

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2021, 09:32 pm »
I will also need a very high quality DAC or a couple less expensive, still high quality DAC options for different listening as well.  That would be a seperate budget $2K for now.
For my NX Studio system, I use a Benchmark DAC3l which is $2K. This DAC is right there with the best at any price and is a STereophile class A recommended component. I also have a Matrix Element X but I think the Benchmark sounds better for over $1k less. I stumbled onto Benchmark recently and realized that I live 20 minutes from the company, so I pulled the trigger. I stream to the Benchmark using a Raspberry Pi4 (in a metal case for shielding) with Ropieee OS as a Roon endpoint. For some reason, the Raspberry Pi just seems to sound better than any other streaming source I've tried.

Answer2No1

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2021, 08:21 am »
Thanks to all for your ideas and experiences shared.

I made the decision to go with the Doge 10 MK3-B Integrated KT88/6550 power tube capable amp.  Being out of the country and wanting to set up the family with a very good sounding, and capable tube amplifier for the NXtreme/triple sub combos, I think this amp will do the trick and give me a wide range of flexibility to adjust the sound to my taste when I return and get the chance to explore more. The amp is true Type A 30 Watts which should fully meet the potential power requirements I was targeting to fill a very large room. It is also switchable to Type A/B at 60 Watts.  At $2000, it was well within my range with a reputation for hitting far above it's price point.

As referenced above, I also need a Dac to pair with the amp and decided to stick with Doge and purchased the Doge 7 tube DAC -Also at about $2000.  Together and with shipping I exceeded my $4K target by about $500, but that is no problem.  Still in range as far as I am concerned. The Doge 7 and Doge 10 should pair nicely together for a sound that would be expensive to beat.

Thanks again for all the ideas.  I'll certainly explore many of them in the future when I'm home with the system and ready to expand it's capabilities further.

Best regards,
Answer2No1