Finally Bit The Bullet

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Finally Bit The Bullet
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2021, 04:14 pm »
Need to get a little sunlight in this room or else it'll be like a Rorschach test.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jun 2021, 05:04 pm »
By overwhelming demand, here you go.  Pardon the mess, this is still undergoing reorganization.
1.7s, Adcom GFA 5400, CC3 and unused CCW speakers

Sherwood tuner, AVA Avastar preamp, APC surge protector, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 3B Pro (used to power CC3)

Sub with dead plate amp awaiting surgery
I think Boris The Spider at really high volume was the final nail in the coffin for this plate amp, ha, ha.

Finally, this photo shows the reason why I went ahead and put myself back in the LRS queue.
This living room is pretty packed with 3.7s to the right of these 1.7s!
I've got an idea for the downstairs master bedroom which involves these 1.7s and some tube gear which I think might work out okay.
This sounds really good but just too much crap for one room so smaller ones will be welcome.

JakeJ

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jun 2021, 06:19 pm »
That looks pretty good but agree the room is really full.  So LRS's are still in the works?  Your pics also give me better perspective the size of the 1.7's, 65 inches tall is just 6 inches shorter then my 3.6r's, thanks.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2021, 06:56 pm »
Yes, I'll stick LRS in there for the TV system and will probably stick them on hinges like the MMGs currently are.  That way they're up around ear level and are out of the way.  It won't be the last word in sound reproduction but that's okay.

In the meantime I'll use the 1.7s as it'll take me a bit to get the other room set up.  I think the 1.7s will be perfect in there if I scoot them right up against the walls.
1.7s are a bit shorter and 4" narrower compared to 3.7s.

Just too much junk cluttering up one room, it looks like a surplus stereo gear store right now.  There's a LOT more stuff cropped out of the photos.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jun 2021, 12:38 pm »
I snagged a Dayton Audio 500W sub amp on ebay, drilled a hole in the dead plate amp, stuck in a grommet, wired up the stand alone amp and the old girl is back in bidness!
Throw some junk in front of the stand alone amp and I'm good to go.

JakeJ

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jun 2021, 03:58 pm »
Nice bit of "McGuyvering" on the sub!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jun 2021, 04:47 pm »
The things a man can do with a cordless drill...

Once the plate amp was off it was a surprise to see just how skinny the wiring is they used for the speaker.
It reminded me of this one fellow saying people spend incredible amounts of money on interconnects and speaker wire and power cords but they should take a look at what's inside of their speakers.

Plugged a subwoofer amp into an APC power conditioner unit and it caused a steady ticking sound to come out of the sub.
Plugged it straight into the wall and problem solved.  Why, I have no idea but I'm glad it's gone.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2021, 11:07 pm by SteveFord »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 7 Jul 2021, 10:23 pm »
Update: eBay amp went back as it was screwing up after all, did what I should have done and ordered a new one from Parts-Express and I'm back in business.