Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music
« Reply #40 on: 11 Apr 2011, 06:54 am »
  Any speaker that has low distortion and plays high SPLs. Goes down to 20hz.

I don't think you need 20 Hz extension for rock.  Low-B on a 5-string bass has its fundamental at 31 Hz, but reproduction of the fundamental really isn't necessary (I build bass guitar cabs).  Kickdrum is usually centered around 50 Hz.   

I would say that freedom from dynamic restrictions and low coloration at high levels, along with good solid impact, is likely to be more cost-effective for rock than pursuing extension to 20 Hz.  Rock, like virtually all music, lives mainly in the midrange... it just does so a few clicks louder than most.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:09 am »
How about the GR Research LS-6?

It is, after all, "the ultimate rock speaker". :P

http://dev.tonepublications.com/spotlight/the-ultimate-rock-speaker/

Ruben

toddbagwell

« Reply #42 on: 11 Apr 2011, 11:59 am »
I will politely disagree with Ruben, and the good people at tone audio. I feel my GR Research LS9 speakers are a bit more "ultimate"  :lol:

I am a big fan of the metal and rock genres, these speakers ( 6 or 9) should give plenty of volume at all the necessary frequencies to give an exciting listening experience.

Can't say enough about Ruben's craftmanship either!

wagnju

« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2011, 04:09 pm »
OK Guys
First , thanks for all the comments and recommendations and sorry for the late reply but I had the oportunity to audition some speakers over the weekend and at the end I will explain why Guy 13 recommendation hit me like a lightning strike.
First I started to give the Gedlee Nathans another try after some guys gave me the advice not to dismiss them because of my unproper setup at home.
I went back to my friend who has setup the Nathans with 4 subs and Pass electronics and we listened 2 hours to the setup with all kinds of music. To be honest I still don't understand all the hype about these speakers ?
Very good speakers for classic and Jazz but still not that perfect for my taste of music , sorry. I see it like with the hype of all the Linn stuff , you like it or you don't like it . In this case , it is not made for me.
Next audition was some older stuff , PSB Goldi's , Legacy Focus 20/20 , Canton ERGO RC-A .
Now we are coming closer , that's what I'm talking from and looking for  :P. Great performance from all 3 speakers even on non Highend equipment. All 3 had great bass and silky highs and it is now really personal taste and depending on the existing equipment which to choose from if the PSB and the Legacy wouldn't look like phone booths ( would be overkill for my room ) and the Cantons aren't easy to get here in the US .
One more audition than yesterday with a pair of Klipsch RF83 . OK , not that bad but I was missing that foot whipping factor. The same guy also took me in another room where he had a pair of HSU HB1 and a pair of HSU subs. I was stunned how good they sounded on a $250 Panasonic receiver. The whole setup costs $1000 and it really sounded very good to me . much better than the Klipsch , the guy liked the Klipsch better !?
Coming back home I read Guy 13 comment about the GR Research V2 and it hit me like a lightning strike . I auditioned a pair V2 last year and I liked the sound of these open baffle speakers very much.
Now comes the point where I have to disgrace myself as I bought a V2-Kit from GR research 6 months ago when they had a sale on this kit and I stored the Kit away in my basement and totally forgot about them because I spend too much time on my other projects , family and work  :oops: :duh:
And no , I have no signs of Alzheimers !!
I had a great time audition some really good speakers this weekend that came close to what I'm looking for , but for now I will first start on finishing the GR Research V2 and than we will see .
I will let you know how it worked out.
Many thanks again for all your tips , recommendations , questions and help .  :thumb:
Juergen

tesseract

« Reply #44 on: 12 Apr 2011, 07:31 pm »
V2 kit in the basement and you FORGOT about it?!?   :scratch:  :duh:  :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #45 on: 12 Apr 2011, 07:46 pm »
V2's are indeed great speakers, I own them :P  They pack a lot of goodness (OB bass, OB mids, controlled directivity, high efficiency) into a single package.  You need to give them space though, like all OB speakers.  3 feet minimum from the rear wall, more is better.

wagnju

« Reply #46 on: 12 Apr 2011, 10:37 pm »
V2 kit in the basement and you FORGOT about it?!?   :scratch:  :duh:  :lol:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :slap: :slap: :slap:
Now I can laugh about it , but I finished the restoration of 2 turntables , a DIY phono preamp , and a headphone amp before I wanted to start with the V2 and then came stress with work on top.
I should start more listening to music maybe  :roll:
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2011, 01:58 am by wagnju »

wagnju

« Reply #47 on: 12 Apr 2011, 10:39 pm »
V2's are indeed great speakers, I own them :P  They pack a lot of goodness (OB bass, OB mids, controlled directivity, high efficiency) into a single package.  You need to give them space though, like all OB speakers.  3 feet minimum from the rear wall, more is better.

Hi Tyson
I saw your thread here at audiocircle , nice work.
Space is not a problem luckily  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #48 on: 13 Apr 2011, 08:38 am »

And when you listen to these groups in a live setting, what you are mostly hearing is large arrays of speakers that place volume and projection as a priority over accuracy.

Steve

bull****

How many hard rock/metal shows have you been to lately? Things have changed a lot. A lot of metal/rock bands these days play astoundingly intricate music and they come across live note for note. Your comment illuminates nothing but your ignorance on the subject and your disdain for the genre. And venues these days have quite a lot of knowledge about accoustics and have invested heavily in it. These aren't the 1980's anymore. You can get very loud and still very very clean sound at, yes, a live rock show.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2011, 05:33 pm by Rclark »

srb

« Reply #49 on: 13 Apr 2011, 09:03 am »
bull****

Your eloquence aside, for a large venue it's a fair statement.

JohnR

« Reply #50 on: 13 Apr 2011, 09:16 am »
An odd response to a reasonable statement... it's unavoidable - if everything is a high priority then nothing is. Live sound that doesn't get high levels over the coverage area isn't going to cut it. And you can't have everything...

Having said that I'm inclined to think that domestic systems have gone a little too far in the direction of "accuracy" (of a certain type) and lost the ability to generate realistic sound levels.

jackman

« Reply #51 on: 13 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm »
I'm with John on this one.  Rock speakers should be able to create good sounding realistic levels of sound. Many audiophile type speakers sound great with good recordings at modest levels but fall short with lesser recordings at relatively high spl levels. 

My system sounds great at high spl levels but is very revealing and some rock recordings are not enjoyable, especially at high levels. I am enjoying this thread!

JoshK

« Reply #52 on: 13 Apr 2011, 01:22 pm »
Having said that I'm inclined to think that domestic systems have gone a little too far in the direction of "accuracy" (of a certain type) and lost the ability to generate realistic sound levels.

I tend to agree.  There is nothing wrong with having accurate speakers, even when listening to rock, but realistic sound levels and to that end realistic pressure levels (i.e ability to move air in the 40-80hz region) are key to gaining enjoyable rock speakers.  This is why I like larger format (and by consequence typically higher efficiency) speakers for rock.  Its not the goal, its the consequence.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #53 on: 13 Apr 2011, 01:52 pm »
+1 with the last few posts.  And this is where the compromises for cost constraints kick in.  To have a truly accurate speaker that does well with chamber music which can also rock with high SPL's without strain or compression costs money, or as with the GR products and others, a serious investment in time for DIY.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #54 on: 13 Apr 2011, 03:24 pm »
  Find some old JBL 100s and rock on. Or just go to Sam ashe and listen to Pro speakers. You may be quite surprised, I was.

charles

Quiet Earth

« Reply #55 on: 13 Apr 2011, 03:28 pm »
Realistic sound levels? You've got to be kidding. I can't remember the last amplified concert that I went to where I didn't need earplugs to avoid pain. Does the mixing guy in the center think that I am really enjoying the abuse? I think he's stoned.

How many of you want to wear ear plugs at home because you are listening to your stereo at realistic sound levels? Thanks, but no thanks.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #56 on: 13 Apr 2011, 03:56 pm »
Why would "realistic levels" apply to rock any more than any other genre?  So I guess getting orchestral music to realistic levels isn't any big deal?  Just because rock music is amplified during concerts doesn't mean sound quality isn't important.  Ever wonder why they take so long to sound check?

And as far as getting PA type speakers for your home for rock music...  2 things...

They're built for very large spaces; far larger than an average listening room.

They're meant to be EQ'ed to tailor to the room acoustics.  Ever see a mixing board at a concert?

TONEPUB

« Reply #57 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:02 pm »
I've been enjoying the Klipsch Heresy III's....

JohnR

« Reply #58 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:21 pm »
When I said "realistic sound levels" I was thinking more of real things - pianos, drums, etc. Not sure why, given the title of the thread  :duh:... Anyway - real sounds have transients and "oomph". But then so does amplified music. I think you get more of the flavour of it in a smaller venue actually i.e. without a big PA system in the way.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #59 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:22 pm »
I've been enjoying the Klipsch Heresy III's....

Wonderfull tone eh. They do kick some arse don't they.

charles