FINALLY..Found a true reference set of speakers for two channel (ATC)

Freo-1

As a active participant in this hobby for over 30 some odd years,  finally have discovered a speaker line that is truly unique, and stands alone as being a accurate sound (re)producer. 
After selling a pair of Magnepan 1.7's, auditioned a few speakers for use as replacement for the 1.7's.  When I auditioned a pair of ATC SCM 19's,  I KNEW I had found what I've been after in a pair of speakers. 

The "key" to their performance is their drivers, which are custom made in house.  Specifically, most ATC speakers employ what is referred to as a "Super Linear Driver"  These drivers are in a class of their own when it comes to low distortion.  From the ATC website:

Utilising a new material from the communications industry, ATC’s Super Linear (SL) driver reduced third harmonic distortion by 10-15dB between 100Hz and 3kHz. Arguably the most significant development in transducer design in the last 15 years, SL technology epitomises ATC’s commitment to sound quality. The SL drivers’ accuracy in reproducing piano and male vocals remains unique."

This is not marketing hype.  Their performance is audible and measurable.  Prior to listening to these, I had thought the SEAS Excel magnesium drivers were as good as low distortion got.  While they are still very impressive, they are not as good as the SL driver.  The magnet is HUGE, which contributes to how well they work. 

Since the arrival of the 19's, I've gone back and played a fair amount of my favorite recordings.  In every case, there was new information reveled, and it was presented clearly and accurately.  The amazing thing is that I've used both tube and solid state amps with the 19's and both work great.  It was as if the amps somehow had been upgraded, and were working better than ever.  Since the SCM 19 is a two way passive monitor, I have it mated with the matching C1 subwoofer to fill out the bottom octave.  Since all the speakers are sealed, the bass is incredibly clean, detailed, and accurate.

ATC primarily markets to the professional studios, so you may not see them much at audio shows.  Their reference speakers are active, and employ active crossovers.  Many audiophiles who have heard them state they are truly among the best speakers available. 

A couple of caveats are in order:  1) The ATC line is not very efficient, so they are not suitable for low wattage applications.  2) The speakers are BRUTALLY honest at reproduction, in that the better the recording and electronics, the better the sound.  These are not syrupy, euphonic, or forgiving.  Some audiophiles may not like that.  I' on the other hand, love it.

Here is a link to the SL technology:

http://www.tagnz.co.nz/uploads/pdf/Super_Linear_Technical_White_Paper.pdf

PS: I read on the DIY site that you can custom order drivers from ATC.  8)

neekomax

Nice!

I'm a fan of 'pro/home' brands like ATC, PMC, Tannoy, Adam, and others.

Those drivers look awesome! Would be so cool to DIY some badass floorstanders using the 15 inchers, although the ones they sell look pretty great as well  :D

http://www.flatearthaudio.com/?page_id=35

Freo-1

Yes, agreed. I'm a fan of these types of companies as well, who let the product's performance speak for itself without hype. 
Once you hear speakers like this,  there is no turning back.  Getting the SCM 19's into the system after owning Maggies made realize that while the Maggie treble is wonderful, the lower mid and bass registers from them are pretty distorted by comparison to the ATC speakers. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Yes, agreed. I'm a fan of these types of companies as well, who let the product's performance speak for itself without hype. 
Once you hear speakers like this,  there is no turning back.  Getting the SCM 19's into the system after owning Maggies made realize that while the Maggie treble is wonderful, the lower mid and bass registers from them are pretty distorted by comparison to the ATC speakers.

What you are hearing my friend is a lack of compression and better directivity control. The lack of compression at typical audiophile listening levels is what makes the difference and is something that in my experience can only be obtained by venturing into the pro audio world. The typical audiophile speaker doesn't give this level of performance until you start spending big $$$$ - and they do it by designing very large multiway and using Scandinavian drivers that have max power numbers that are only in the low 100 watt range. A typical ATC driver on the other hand can take oodles of power. In fact in my own speaker, the woofer has a peak input capability of 1000 watts, and is 96 dB sensitive.

Enjoy!

Anand.

Freo-1

Thank You, sir! 

I will (and am) enjoying it.  It is a whole new level of satisfaction listening to music.

jimdgoulding

If I remember right, Stereophile founder J Gordon Holt stated that the ATC active two-way 20's were the best in home speakers he had ever reviewed.  I use British actives myself.  Sounds like you're into sumthin that makes you happy.

Freo-1

Yes, I see you are.  You have some very nice speakers there.

Think I can finally get off the upgrade train now!  :lol:

TrungT

I love monitor sealed box.  :thumb:

Freo-1

I love monitor sealed box.  :thumb:

Me too! (Espcially with the SL driver).     8)

neekomax

+1 for sealed monitors.

TrungT

My speakers downgrade from 6' to 17" high.  :thumb:
Most people don't get the "monitor" setup sound.
 :wink:

cab

A couple of caveats are in order:  1) The ATC line is not very efficient, so they are not suitable for low wattage applications.  2) The speakers are BRUTALLY honest at reproduction, in that the better the recording and electronics, the better the sound.  These are not syrupy, euphonic, or forgiving.  Some audiophiles may not like that.  I' on the other hand, love it.

Sound like they would be a good match to the ncore....

cab

neekomax

Here's my (DSP corrected) in-room response plot at listening position (up to 200 Hz) that I measured tonight. Not bad bass extension for sealed monitors: Basically flat to 22 Hz.  :wink:

AKLegal

I am intrigued by these speakers.  I don't see the active version of the 20 on the website.  Is that just a option you have to ask for?

Freo-1

I am intrigued by these speakers.  I don't see the active version of the 20 on the website.  Is that just a option you have to ask for?

Check the Flat Earth Audio site. Look under the Monitor series. 
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2013, 03:06 pm by Freo-1 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Three other British active/home speaker companies:

Meridian (expensive, lots of DSP)

Quad (recently released 9AS - small 2-way stand mount, $1300 USD, power/pre-amp/DAC included)

AVi (ADM9RSS - 2-way stand mount, $2300 USD and ADM40 - 2-way floor stander, $5000 USD; both have power/pre-amp/DAC included)

North American active/home offerings:

EmotivaPro 4, 5, 6, Stealth 6, Stealth 8 (2-way stand mounts, $400- 1500)

Paradigm offers the A2 (active version of the Atom for $600/pair).

As a fan/owner of single driver speakers, I'm a big supporter of active design for home use (and am currently shopping for such little beasts for a 2nd system).

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
ATC discussions come up occasionally on AC.  I LOVED mine, the humungous SCM150ASL's.  In fact, they were so big they overdrove my large music room, so I sold them within about 6 months of owning them.  But the owning of them was such a wonderful experience, and I met such great people (Grammy-winning Michael Bishop visiting my home, and me visiting his Telarc studio, phone conversation with Pink Floyd legendary producer James Guthrie, wonderful phone conversations with ATC's Billy Woodman, etc)

Here are my 150's in my foyer.

ATC is a great speaker company.  Congrats!

Freo-1

Those look great!  Some day, would like to get a active set of ATC speakers with the SL driver.  For now, very happy with the SCM 19's.

jimdgoulding

They are on the site,  I found them.  Try, again.