The Truth About Mega Price Loudspeakers

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: The Truth About Mega Price Loudspeakers
« Reply #220 on: 17 Oct 2012, 04:03 am »
hi bill,

i definitely agree that typical manufacturing and selling thru b&m stores can drive prices up. 

i also agree the lenehan's are nice speakers.  while i have not heard yours, i did hear the s2r's at the capitol audio fest this past summer.  they were mighty sweet.  someone would be getting a nice sound if they bought these:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109804.msg1134723#msg1134723

doug s.

bhobba

Re: The Truth About Mega Price Loudspeakers
« Reply #221 on: 17 Oct 2012, 09:50 am »
i also agree the lenehan's are nice speakers.  while i have not heard yours, i did hear the s2r's at the capitol audio fest this past summer.  they were mighty sweet.  someone would be getting a nice sound if they bought these:

Yea the S2's are good for the money and shame a lot more expensive stuff.  But they are built to a price and are not the SOTA stuff you would at least hope these mega priced speakers are.  Its a bit funny really - I have been asked by a number of guys out my way to go with them while they hear the S2's because they feel its in their price bracket.  They say - gee that's good but then they hear the ML2 Reference - game over - they pony up for the considerable price difference.  Mike hates it because they are a lot more work to make and he has this growing backlog.

Of interest to this thread is yea these high priced speakers like Magico etc are better than your usual stuff - the technology does produce audibly superior results.  But mein gott you pay through the nose for it and IMHO its best to go a bit out of your way to hear some lesser known stuff.

Oh - and if you can make to the CES next year there is a good chance Mike and some of his speakers will be there courtosy of Eichmann:
http://www.eti-research.com.au/index.php/our-products/image-gallery/13-news/123-eti-and-lenehan-audio-in-vegas

Sorry to sidetrack this and talk about Lenehan stuff.  They are just down the road from where I live so I know a bit about them and thought some of the stuff I have gleaned from my visits there would be of interest.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 11:27 am by bhobba »