Picture Of The Day

Maritan

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2820 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:28 pm »
Can you guys see the pictures in the previous post? Tried to show someone else at work, and nothing came up...

jjdog2

« Reply #2821 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:48 pm »
Only see the first one. Rest have X.

Jim

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2822 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:50 pm »
I see one and no X's.

Maritan

« Reply #2823 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:54 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Let's try this one more time. Can you see them now?

Again, these were all taken with an X100. Love this little thing.

jjdog2

« Reply #2824 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:58 pm »
That works.  :thumb:

Jim

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2825 on: 8 Apr 2014, 06:39 pm »

Again, these were all taken with an X100. Love this little thing.

Yes, I do too. The quality of the jpegs' colour and the grainlessness is what attracted me. Last June it came down to a choice between the X100 and the Ricoh GR for me, and I chose the GR because I was determined to have a truly pocketable camera for travel and the lens on the X100 prevented that. Another advantage to me was the fact that the GR was the least attention-getting camera for those more candid shots. I do love the image quality I see from the X100, though.

bside123

« Reply #2826 on: 8 Apr 2014, 08:08 pm »
All of the images that I've seen from the Fuji X100 have been very impressive. Great clarity and sparkle. I also like the bokeh.  I almost bought the X100 but chose the Sony RX100MK2 over it, because of the fixed 35mm lens on the X100. I wanted the handiness of a variable lens. That being said, I really really like what I see from the Fuji.

Now for something totally different. In this shot, I was testing out a vintage Konica Minolta Wide Angle 17-35mm Lens on a Full Frame A99 Body with a new 77mm U/V Filter. The image comes from the street just outside of Hamer Camera Shop in Bochum, Germany. Today was dark, cold, rainy, overcast and moody.

jjdog2

« Reply #2827 on: 9 Apr 2014, 12:40 am »
One of my favorite shots taken last fall of a large white-tailed buck.

low.pfile

« Reply #2828 on: 9 Apr 2014, 12:58 am »
....Today was dark, cold, rainy, overcast and moody.

I'd take that any day. I was walking around work today with the x100 with this horrible blazing sun, and crystal clear skies, near San Jose california...BORING!! bring back the clouds and mist!

Nice shot with the vintage lens bside123

SET Man

« Reply #2829 on: 9 Apr 2014, 04:09 am »
In this shot, I was testing out a vintage Konica Minolta Wide Angle 17-35mm Lens on a Full Frame A99 Body with a new 77mm U/V Filter. ....

Hey!

This is the KM 17-35mm  f2.8-4 right? If so, I have the same zoom. Anyway, I had a chance to buy the Minolta 17-35mm f3.5 "G" cheap a while back but didn't, looking back now I should have.  :duh:

Anyway, the KM 17-35mm is a nice wide zoom.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Maritan

« Reply #2830 on: 9 Apr 2014, 10:01 pm »
Russell and Bside123 - You both bring up very good points regarding the X100. The X100 can definitely be considered a bit more showy/ shiny - especially the silver version. That's exactly the one I have, and I also bought it exactly because it was shiny and attractive.  :lol: To each their own, right? I'm not into candid photography quite yet (don't have comfort level for it) so it wasn't a major consideration when I bought it.

The lack of zoom on the X100 definitely can be a pain. You have to "zoom" with your feet. And if you get creative, you can work around it. That said, there is definitely a convenience to being able to zoom that I sometimes miss. I have my eyes set on the Fuji X-T1. I love Fuji's colours, and their interface - maybe because that's all I'm used to. I definitely love having manual controls for the three most important settings - aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

Here's another one taken with the X100. Poorly lit (again), but I like this shot of coffee foam art:

stlrman

« Reply #2831 on: 10 Apr 2014, 12:20 am »
Jjdog, holy shit that's sharp. :o
 Are you using top of line lenses? Ur camera is?

bside123

« Reply #2832 on: 10 Apr 2014, 03:39 pm »
It's still grey, overcast and chilly in the "Ruhrgebiet" region of central, west Germany. Yesterday, I had a chance to stroll through the streets of the shopping center district in Dortmund, a rather industrial, business metropolis. Here's a little street photography captured, once again, with the vintage Konica Minolta 17-35mm lens on the Sony A-99 Full Frame Body.

Yes, Buddy - SET Man, it appears to be the same lens as yours. Happily, my copy is a good one... very sharp. I've read that the more expensive Minolta "G" model of the same lens consistently underperformed compared to the cheaper Konica Minolta version in the tests. I'd be curious to try one, but this version I'm using is a delightful keeper.

I am copy these images from my Flickr site. Please let me know if the size is too BIG. Thanks and best regards.

The street reflection of a window-shopping, onlooker ponders the perils of a rather maniacal looking Easter Bunny at the mirrored, display entrance of a Karstadt Department Store. The sign reads, "Gifts for Easter!"

Two Jehovah's Witness witnesses preach the Word, and pass out free copies of "Watchtower" magazine in front of a billboard advertisement for a shoot 'em up TV series. The cover headline asks, "Is Prayer Important?" The answer seems to be either 1) Of course! Look at all the violence in the world; we need it more than ever. - OR -  2) Nope... not for these girls. They've got it covered!

An Animal Rights Activist Group protests the cruel and inhumane treatment of pigs with an elaborate, high-tech display that included huge "schwein" statues, video films and human volunteers. I'm certain that I shot this photo from the correct angle... it's all a matter of perspective. I needed to add to all of the wonderful animal and nature photos that have been posted lately.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2833 on: 10 Apr 2014, 04:11 pm »
Great shots! Thank you. I love seeing photos from around the world.

On a side note, I'm rather fond of cooking pork in my smoker. I've been told that I should have a food truck, or street cart.
If I ever do that, I want my truck to look just like that last photo.
Can't you picture that stainless steel cart full of yummy smoked pork?  8)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2834 on: 10 Apr 2014, 07:13 pm »
Can't you picture that stainless steel cart full of yummy smoked pork?  8)

No!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2835 on: 10 Apr 2014, 07:23 pm »
"No"?  :scratch:

Kind of like this food truck in Seattle.
It's the perfect mascot:

jjdog2

« Reply #2836 on: 10 Apr 2014, 08:07 pm »
Jjdog, holy shit that's sharp. :o
 Are you using top of line lenses? Ur camera is?

Thanks. I use a Panasonic FZ35 bridge camera. Have used the FZ series for a long time.

Jim

Jon L

« Reply #2837 on: 12 Apr 2014, 12:33 am »
A friend just bought the Nikon D4s  :thumb:

http://youtu.be/l-Tq3D9zOaY

bside123

« Reply #2838 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:25 am »
Some interesting architecture... a modern, glass house overlooking Phoenix Lake on the outskirts of Dortmund, Germany. No Photoshop was used here. Shot on an overcast day with some scattered sunlight peaking in and out of the jagged clouds. The sky is reflected in the glass. The owners mounted giant masks on the balcony giving the house this eerie effect on another German weather, moody day.

German House With Faces

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2839 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:54 am »
That looks like an enormous Luxo lamp in the front window, too. I have seen giant floor lamps of this style recently, but this looks even bigger, unless my sense of proportion is thrown off by the rest of the image.

Great image.