Bryston SP2 Feature Requests

sikoniko

« on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:03 pm »
The purpose of this thread is to list features that we would like to see added to the SP2 in the future. James Tanner agreed to read this, while not promising that we could have everything.

I think it is a great way for us to communicate what we actually want, and since we have John's ear, some things might get done. If enough of us contribute, perhaps this could get a sticky.

I can work to keep the first thread updated so people do not have to dig for the requests.

This really adds value to purchasing Bryston.

Thanks James!

The list of requests:

1. 7.1 analog audio inputs instead of 5.1

2. This is a direct quote from the classe webpage, and something I think would be great to have. I believe this is the same thing that Lexicon has:

allow up to four listening positions to be defined. Set the speaker levels and delays for best sound in the sweet spot on the couch, in a reading chair off to the side and a desk in the back of the room. You can even associate these positions with different sources. Automatically tune the system to sound its best for you in your reading chair when you listen to the radio on the weekend, but switch to your desk when you use your ipod through the SSP in the morning and the couch when a DVD is chosen at night.

3: The ability to produce a stereo analgoue output at the tape or VCR terminals for all inputs - digital as well as analogue, downmixed from 5.1/6.1 as well as stereo sources. (For me, using the surround-back outputs for this would also work. This would obviously be less flexible but might be a lot easier because you'd have some DACs available under all circumstances - I doubt it's possible to produce 7.1 output and a stereo downmix at the tape output simultaneously without adding extra DACs, and this ought to be a software-only solution.

4: If possible, the above stereo output optionally to be a Dolby Headphone mix rather than a simple stereo downmix. (This, again, is a software-only change - output from existing RCA outs - wouldn't need a headphone socket).

5: Some kind of jitter removal stage - if nothing better is possible, then asynchronous reclocking of the sort employed on the BP26DA would be a great deal better than nothing.

6: A room correction system that goes beyond simple parametric EQ. For example, there is a system called MultEQ, made by a group called Audyssey Labs that is specifically designed to run on the Texas Instruments "Aureus" DSPs, such as the one that the SP2 uses, and would therefore be an obvious candidate.

7: Option to move to an outboard power supply, like the MPS-2.

8: Loudness correction (i.e. a system that adjusts the sound spectral output to compensate for differences in the way the ear perceives the same sound at different volumes).

9: Built-in headphone stage and jack (perhaps the same headphone stage used on the BP26).

10: Licensing of Logic 7 and/or Trifield DSP modes (or an equivalent).

11: Support for THX height channel (again, a software-only change).

12: Support for aysnchronous Firewire input (as well as HDMI).

13: A bigger box so they can fit more connectors on the back panel.

Such as:
1) A set of single ended AND balanced outs for ALL channels. I think all channels should use the same connectors.
2) Include the Pro version AES/EBU input (XLR) as standard. Many high end CD players have this connector, and so do many processors in the price range of the SP.
3) An additional set of Stereo Left-Right connectors (single ended and XLR) that can be assigned to the 2 channel pass through. This way you could combine a 2 channel and home theatre system in a single component. This would be useful if someone is moving into home theatre and find their fronts don't work that well for theatre, but are better for stereo.

4) Add a phono preamp and input switch (opional like on the other Bryston preamps).
5) Add an led indicator for the status of the Dynamic Compression. IMO this is badly needed on the SP. If someone has put it on max compression and you go to watch a movie, it's just too easy to forget to check for that. I suggest putting a bi-colour led in the middle of the Dynamic Compression button now on the SP2 (or mounted behind it, with a transparent button):
Off - "compression not available on this source" or "off".
Green: Medium compression.
Red: Full compression - late night.

**will add the others later today**

nicolasb

« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2006, 10:13 pm »
I'm assuming that an HDMI input and support for "next generation" audio formats is a given, so my "really important" :mrgreen:  requests are:

1: The ability to produce a stereo analgoue output at the tape or VCR terminals for all inputs - digital as well as analogue, downmixed from 5.1/6.1 as well as stereo sources. (For me, using the surround-back outputs for this would also work. This would obviously be less flexible but might be a lot easier because you'd have some DACs available under all circumstances - I doubt it's possible to produce 7.1 output and a stereo downmix at the tape output simultaneously without adding extra DACs, and this ought to be a software-only solution.

2: If possible, the above stereo output optionally to be a Dolby Headphone mix rather than a simple stereo downmix. (This, again, is a software-only change - output from existing RCA outs - wouldn't need a headphone socket).

3: Some kind of jitter removal stage - if nothing better is possible, then asynchronous reclocking of the sort employed on the BP26DA would be a great deal better than nothing.

4: A room correction system that goes beyond simple parametric EQ. For example, there is a system called MultEQ, made by a group called Audyssey Labs that is specifically designed to run on the Texas Instruments "Aureus" DSPs, such as the one that the SP2 uses, and would therefore be an obvious candidate.

5: Option to move to an outboard power supply, like the MPS-2.

Other nice-to-haves:

6: Loudness correction (i.e. a system that adjusts the sound spectral output to compensate for differences in the way the ear perceives the same sound at different volumes).

7: Built-in headphone stage and jack (perhaps the same headphone stage used on the BP26).

8: Licensing of Logic 7 and/or Trifield DSP modes (or an equivalent).

9: Support for THX height channel (again, a software-only change).

10: Support for aysnchronous Firewire input (as well as HDMI).

antt

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2006, 09:45 pm »
My requests would be:

A bigger box so they can fit more connectors on the back panel.

Such as:
1) A set of single ended AND balanced outs for ALL channels.  I think all channels should use the same connectors.
2) Include the Pro version AES/EBU input (XLR) as standard.  Many high end CD players have this connector, and so do many processors in the price range of the SP.
3) An additional set of Stereo Left-Right connectors (single ended and XLR) that can be assigned to the 2 channel pass through.  This way you could combine a 2 channel and home theatre system in a single component.  This would be useful if someone is moving into home theatre and find their fronts don't work that well for theatre, but are better for stereo.

4) Add a phono preamp and input switch (opional like on the other Bryston preamps).
5)  Add an led indicator for the status of the Dynamic Compression.  IMO this is badly needed on the SP.  If someone has put it on max compression and you go to watch a movie, it's just too easy to forget to check for that.  I suggest putting a bi-colour led in the middle of the Dynamic Compression button now on the SP2 (or mounted behind it, with a transparent button):  
Off - "compression not available on this source" or "off".
Green: Medium compression.
Red: Full compression - late night.

That's all I can think of for now.

lbouchard

volume control
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2006, 07:44 pm »
I would like to have a feature to limit the volume to a maximum level . When young kids a playing with the system I do not want them to be able to turn the system to its maximum. I understand that it could be difficult to maintain the same maximum for all inputs, but this feature with limitation is better than nothing.

lbouchard

DVDO iScan VP30 HD Video processor and Hub
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2006, 08:00 pm »
regarding the SPV 1 and the upcoming SPV 2 I firmly believe it will be difficult for Bryston to equal or out perform the DVDO iScan VP30 as a video switching/video processor appliance
check the specs at
http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp30.php
bot product the SPV 1 and VP30 have very similar prices at around 2000$.

I nice thing you be the integration of the SP 2 processor with the DVO VP30 or a "Bryston" variant of VP30

I also understand that components video is fading out, but I would like to see at least 4 components inputs on the upcoming switcher: I have a DVD, Xbox 360 and two satellite receivers,  they all require component cables.

square

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2006, 01:30 pm »
I don't have the SP2 in my hands yet, so may have a few more suggestions soon:

- A readable display. Good examples are on Slimdevices Sqeezebox 3, and Mark Levinson gear.
- A few balanced inputs.
- Quick way to cycle through DSP modes without going through the special effects settings (based on SP1.7)

Square

nicolasb

Re: volume control
« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2006, 10:01 am »
Quote from: lbouchard
I would like to have a feature to limit the volume to a maximum level . When young kids a playing with the system I do not want them to be able to turn the system to its maximum. I understand that it could be difficult to maintain the same maximum for all inputs, but this feature with limitation is better than nothing.

Oh yeah, that reminds me: I'd really like to have the ability to do Dynamic Range Compression on non-DD sources.

lbouchard

Quest for a video switch while waiting for SPV2
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2006, 04:00 pm »
in my quest to find a good video switch for my SP2 and a fiber toslink to digital coax converter, i have come across this product:

https://www.audioauthority.com/index.php?p=productMore&iProduct=41

It seem to have good specifictions, but the integration into my system via remote control code on my Harmony 880 is uncertain. I believe the integration via RS-232 is not possible at all.

nicolasb

Re: Bryston SP2 Feature Requests
« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2006, 11:07 am »
Quote from: sikoniko
The purpose of this thread is to list features that we would like to see added to the SP2 in the future. James Tanner agreed to read this, while not promising that we could have everything.

I think it is a great way for us to communicate what we actually want, and since we have John's ear, some things might get done. If enough of us contribute, perhaps this could get a sticky.

I can work to keep the first thread updated so people do not have to dig for the requests.

We don't seem to be seeing too much in the way of actual responses, yet, do we?  :roll:

Here's another request:

I'd like to have a digital output on the processor (preferably two, one optical, one coax) which serve the same function for digital sources as the tape or VCR outputs currently serve for analogue sources: they act as a pass-through for whichever of the four digital inputs is currently active, thus allowing the processor to double up as a high-quality 4-way SP/DIF switch-box, and also a high-quality coax-to-optical or optical-to-coax converter.

As I've more or less given up hope of ever actually seeing Dolby Headphone on the SP2, this feature would (among other things!) allow one person to listen to the movie soundtrack over speakers, while another (who is perhaps hard of hearing and prefers a higher volume, or who wants to wander in and out of the room wearing cordless headphones) listens over a stand-alone Dolby Headphone system, with the input to the Dolby Headphone system automatically synchronised with whatever source the processor is getting input from. Or it would allow a single person to switch quickly from speakers to 'phones by simply hitting the Mute button on the SP2 and not having to switch digital inputs around on the headphone system.

MOZ

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2006, 09:32 am »
Hi,

I have a strange question : are there some differences beetwin the analog section of the SP1, SP1.7 and SP2 ?
I thought the SP1 was alike a BP20 inside, the SP1.7 alike a BP25 and the new SP2 alike a BP26 ?
Is that right James ?

PS : By the way, my SP1.7 should be in your office now to get its SP2 upgrade, can't wait to see it back home ! :mrgreen:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2006, 11:17 am »
Hi MOZ,

The SP1 the SP1.7 and the SP2 all have the same analog preamp section.

james

sikoniko

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2006, 12:39 pm »
James,

is there any update on the autoeq? I hope Bryston will go with Audessy. That would be a great combination and definately create a lot of value in the SP2.

Thanks,

alpsy

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2006, 04:06 am »
so best case scenario, when can we expect a HDMI input and support for "next generation" audio formats revision for the sp2?

cheers,

julie

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2006, 05:16 pm »
Hi All,

As for the EQ and the HDMI we have not had any time to look at those issues yet. We have been constantly backordered on the SP2.

We will certainly look into the EQ and HDMI but it may be some time.

james

alpsy

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2006, 09:10 pm »
as in before the end of the year james?

what exactly do you have in mind with eq and will revision include the upcoming sound formats also?

can wait a little longer before purchase :)

cheers,

julie

nicolasb

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2006, 01:07 pm »
Quote from: alpsy
as in before the end of the year james?

I doubt you're going to get an answer out of Mr Tanner to that question. :)

Speaking as someone who is nothing whatever to do with Bryston but is a professional pessimist and cynic and thus ends up being right about things depressingly often :mrgreen:, I suspect this might happen before the end of next year, but only if you're very lucky. Bryston is busy with the existing SP2 now, and it has two other entirely new products to create, launch and maintain before it even starts thinking about SP2 upgrades.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2006, 01:19 pm »
Yes Nicolasb is correct - we are a small company and only have so many resources available at any given time.

We are also a little hesitant to devote a lot of engineering time to areas where the outcome and acceptance in the market is not certain - the Firewire issue and the time wasted there still makes my eyes water.

james

nicolasb

« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2006, 02:03 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
the Firewire issue and the time wasted there still makes my eyes water.

What were you considering doing with Firewire?

sikoniko

« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2006, 02:16 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Yes Nicolasb is correct - we are a small company and only have so many resources available at any given time.

We are also a little hesitant to devote a lot of engineering time to areas where the outcome and acceptance in the market is not certain - the Firewire issue and the time wasted there still makes my eyes water.

james

How much modification would it be to license and add audessy? It is highly successful in the Denon units, and Audessy is now releasing a stand-alone unit. Of course, we would probably have to pay for this upgrade, since Im guessing you would have to pay for licensing as well. It could be an upgrade that wouldn't be required, but available for those who want it. you could almost outsource the person who would have to integrate it into the sp2 and include that in your costs for the upgrade, accounting for projected sales of course.

There would be an issue of adding MIC inputs, but sherwood was able to get around that by using the rear input on their pre-amp.

I completely understanding taking time with HDMI. Right now, there is no reason to rush it.

nicolasb

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2006, 04:49 pm »
Sikoniko, I wouldn't get your hopes up. The Aureus chip software supports Dolby Headphone pretty much as standard, but Bryston apparently has no intention of including even that in the SP2's capabilities for the remotely foreseeable future.

Reference: http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/vf/audio/da61x_pb.pdf

TI’s audio DSP system includes a
set of highly-optimized decoder
implementations and the industry’s
first open audio framework. This
software offering provides designers
with the base functionality they
need and allows them to focus on
adding value-add features to their
products while shortening time to
market.

The offering will include optimized
implementations of the following
decoders and audio stream
processing software:

• Dolby™
– Dolby Digital™ (AC3)
– ProLogic™
– ProLogic™ II
– Dolby Headphone™

• Fraunhoffer™
– MPEG AAC (LC)

• DTS™
– Consumer 5.1™
– ES 6.1™
– Neo 6.1™
– DTS 96/24™

It'd be a lot harder to incorporate some large, 3rd party utility, let alone to install a microphone input on the processor.

If you read James' original announcement that the SP2 will eventually acquire some basic parametric EQ capability, it rather sounds as though that's part of the standard software too:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=17241&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=33

You'll note that, back then (September 2005) James said we'd see parametric EQ "in the near future", but there's been some back-pedalling since then....