AVA Trans 6/7 questions to AVA

jk@home

« on: 5 May 2003, 03:36 pm »
Getting close to ordering a Trans 6 preamp, have a few questions:

I will be using this preamp as a supplimental stereo tube preamp to a multichannel/home theater SS preamp (Sony TAP), for higher quaility 2 channel playback. Will feed the TAP's L/R signal into one of the inputs of the AVA, which will drive long interconnects to the power amp (Aragon).

Whats the price of a Trans 7 in the basic no frills SL chassis with no tone controls, etc. and what would I be giving up by getting the 6? Don't need the extra inputs, but could use the extra drive. The website seems to list only the EC version price.

Can the phase inverter option be used in either one of these preamps to convert at least one of the output signals to a balanced one? Or is there room in the smaller SL chassis to install XLR converter transformers (like Jensens)?

Last question is about the Trans 6 kit: If I Buy/build the kit and send it back to the factory for a "free" checkup (which I think is a great idea), what is the usual extra shipping charges ( in the USA). My thinking is that $100 cost savings may not be worth it after shipping.

Thanks for a responce
JK

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2003, 02:53 pm »
Hi:

Thanks for the questions regarding the T7 and T6 preamps.

The price of the T7 in the SL chassis is $1199.  The T7 page shows the EC version, but the price list shows all of the possible configurations.  For example, the phono stage for a T7 is a $299 option (either chassis).

The T6 is a fine preamp.  It significantly outperforms our older FetValve preamp, tube preamps (3i and 4i) and solid state preamps.  The T6 has a very nice soundstage that is extremely accurate and dynamic.  With the new lower price it's a very good deal.

The T7 was born from the older FetValve preamp.  In developing the T6 (and the T5) we did some pretty serious engineering,  to get the most transparent sound possible.  With the T7 we took some of the engineering ideas from the T6 (and T5) and applied them to the FET Valve design and the result is the new T7.  The T7 expands on the dynamics, opens the sound, and delivers the most accurate reproduction we have ever made.

We currently offer an OmegaStar phase inverter that can be factory installed in the T6 and T7.  You can use the phase inverter to get the balanced output, but there is no room to add the bigger jacks.  When installing the phase inverter we have the non-inverted output on the Output 1 jacks, and the inverted output on the Output 2 jacks.  How long of interconnect do you need to run?

As for building the kit, that's a personal preference.  I believe the shipping charges are around $15.  The checkout time on the bench is free, however.  I would not want to build the kit if your only objective is to save the money as it's a pretty hefty project.  I suggest the kit only if you enjoy building electronics.  My first experience with AVA (long before I started working with them) was an Omega III preamp kit and I very much enjoyed the project, but I'll admit kits are not for everyone.

Thanks for your interest in AVA products!

Larry Jenkins

jk@home

Thanks Larry
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2003, 03:55 pm »
The cable run is 45'(in the attic) between an equipment closet, and the amp/speakers location. I know this is long,  but works in this listening room which has to double duty as the family livingroom. The closet allows using/ viewing of the most used equipment while hiding all the other stuff.

The inverter/cable configuration should work since I only need one set of outputs.  Would I just  make a DIY converting adapter to join the two (On XLR pin#2 to non-inverted hot, #3 to inverted hot, and #1 both grounds tied together)? If so, that should be no problem since the balanced cable I'm using now is a Belden 89207 DIY design. What is the cost for this option, installed in either unit?

Think I'll forgo the kit, just have to decide if I want to wait a little longer for the 7

Thanks for your help.
jk

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2003, 05:07 pm »
Hi:

I understand the idea of concealing equipment!  My wife used ask "do we HAVE to put the stereo stuff here?"  After six years she finally gave up asking...

As long as you can identify the normal and inverted pins on the XLR you can tie the grounds together and it will work.  I agree that 45' is a bit of a run for interconnects.  The T7 is a low impedance/high current preamp that will deal with interconnects easier than a lot of other preamps (such as our T5), however.  Naturally, if you can shorten the wires you reduce the risk negative effects on the sound.

The inverter cost is $129 in either the T6 or T7.  FYI: I believe the lead times on the T7 are pretty short and should be almost the same as the T6.

Thanks!

Larry Jenkins

jk@home

Thanks again
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2003, 06:01 pm »
One of the reasons I'm choosing AVA is the fact that they will drive long cables, like mine.

Thanks and have a nice day.
jk