Bryston BDP-3 and PS Audio DirectStream DAC issues fixed!

Socal77

As has been reported over the past few years, for some reason there was an incompatibility with the Bryston BDP-3 (and the upgraded BDP-2s) and the PS Audio DirectStream DAC with 192kHz 24-bit files using AES/EBU (and SP/DIF?). 

Thanks to the efforts of Ted Smith, the designer of the DirectStream software, I believe the problem has been solved! Ted sent me a beta version of the next firmware release for the DS DAC and I used it with new BDP-3 that arrived today. I used a High Fidelity Cables "Pro" AES/EBU cable, and have had zero problems so far playing 192 kHz 24-bit files from both Qobuz and an attached USB drive.  Well done, Ted!

Last I checked with PS Audio, the latest firmware should be released soon, hopefully keeping this fix in.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-3 and PS Audio DirectStream DAC issues fixed!
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2021, 01:14 pm »
Great to hear - thank Ted for me. :thumb:

james

Socal77

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2021, 09:29 pm »
PS Audio released the updated firmware today. The version is called "Sunlight" and can be downloaded from the PS Audio support page.  I have installed it, and similar to the beta version I had, no issues with 192kHz files from Bryston BDP-3 using AES/EBU.

fittebd

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2021, 02:08 pm »
Is the firmware just firmware or do they not use standard DAC chips and write their own software based D->A conversion?  If they do their own, that is very interesting.  Upgradable DAC forever (as long as they support it)

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2021, 06:45 pm »
It is indeed software, not firmware. Like Chord and some others, they do not use an off-the-shelf DAC chip in the DirectStream DAC. It uses a FPGA. That's a big reason this DAC has been able to maintain relevance for so many years. Software updates have included both functional and audible improvements. There have been several, free, software updates since its intro. Alas the hardware can only handle so much and eventually becomes a barrier to further progress. It is no different than buying a computer or cell phone...or even a car. As such, Sunlight is the last software update for the DirectStream mk1. DirectStream mk2 is in work. Hope this helps.

fittebd

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2021, 06:53 pm »
yes it does.  thanks