X3 Owners' thread

geerock

Re: X3 Owners' thread
« Reply #60 on: 23 Apr 2021, 07:00 pm »

Speakers will be on carpet which is on laminate flooring and over a concrete slab (typical Las Vegas home).  My first upgrade will be the IsoAcoustics Gaia Series II Isolation Feet with spikes.  These will mount on to highly polished (slippery) carpet sliders.  I'm 70 years old and can't imagine picking up and moving the speakers constantly.  Luckily, my hearing is good!

Anxious for delivery now that I made my decision.

Marcus

Marcus,
Look into Herbies Audio Labs.  They make a slider / isolator that sounds perfect for your set up.  I use them on my X5's.  I also had the GAIA's and I really couldn't tell the difference between the two.  Both made a nice improvement but the Herbies pieces were lots less expensive.  It will leave you some extra cash for other add ons.
Congrats on your purchase.  Like you, I've been around the block a time or two, and I love my X5's.

sarora9

« Reply #61 on: 23 Apr 2021, 09:09 pm »
If the floor is not suspended (ie concrete) then I'd suggest trying the included spikes first.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #62 on: 27 Apr 2021, 02:22 am »
To help me with "instant gratification" anxiety, I thought I would stir up a conversation about the X3.

1.  My seated ear height is 38 inches.  The speakers are 49 inches.  Does anyone tilt their speakers forward to position the AMT driver directly at the MLP?
2.  Has anyone tried "extreme "toe-in" to provide three abreast (all seated in recliners) listeners with a solid center image?

Just curious.

Marcus

JTF

« Reply #63 on: 27 Apr 2021, 06:17 pm »
To help me with "instant gratification" anxiety, I thought I would stir up a conversation about the X3.

1.  My seated ear height is 38 inches.  The speakers are 49 inches.  Does anyone tilt their speakers forward to position the AMT driver directly at the MLP?
2.  Has anyone tried "extreme "toe-in" to provide three abreast (all seated in recliners) listeners with a solid center image?

Just curious.

Marcus

I prefer to sit below the AMT with my X5s. Ear height at approx 30in when I'm slouching on the sofa with my feet up, which lines up with the mid driver. I tried extreme toe-in, and they sounded fine, but ultimately settled with them pointing maybe 6 inches or so to the outside of either shoulder.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #64 on: 27 Apr 2021, 06:39 pm »
JTF, thanks.  I suppose the wave guide helps.  Good news for me as I was not looking forward to tilting the speakers!  I most likely will give extreme toe-in a try.  But, honestly, I am the only one who cares deeply about music.  I'll probably end up pointing them a few inches to each side of my ears at the MLP.

Marcus

radarnyc

« Reply #65 on: 27 Apr 2021, 08:50 pm »
I believe Clayton designed it so that your ear height should be that as the bottom on the waveguide

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #66 on: 27 Apr 2021, 09:44 pm »
Thanks Radarnyc!  Good to hear.  Clayton said he would talk with me after setup to help with fine tuning.  I suspect I'll get a few tricks and tips from him.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #67 on: 28 Apr 2021, 08:28 pm »
Game Plan:

Placement:  When the speakers arrive, I'll set them up about 4 feet from the front wall, about 3 feet from side wall, about 9 feet apart and 11 feet to MLP.  Toed-in.  I have room to move them around as needed.

Equipment: 
 - JRiver Media Center (version 27) will be set to Stereo (2.0) and convert DSD to PCM 24/192 (per normal).
 - HDMI to Marantz AV8805.  Audyssey OFF.  Stereo mode.  X3s set to large with measured distance to MLP.  All other speakers and subwoofers physically disconnected.  Marantz set to "Pure Direct" mode (eliminates all non-audio processing within the pre/pro).
 - XLR to Parasound Halo A52+ amplifier.  Supposedly, class A amplification up to 10 watts.
 - 12 gauge "blue jeans" speaker wire to X3s.

Yes, I am looking at DACs to put between my computer and the Marantz.  But, can't do it now.  I want to try out the speakers and allow burn in.

Thanks!  Marcus

sumoking

« Reply #68 on: 29 Apr 2021, 02:13 am »
Hello DP and congrats on your new X-3's.  I think your on the right track with your toe in approach although the room itself obviously plays a big factor.
You have probably seen my review, which shows you how I have set mine up.
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9VeZOdatao&t=194s&ab_channel=AudioTalk

Cheers...

RonP

« Reply #69 on: 29 Apr 2021, 12:16 pm »
I found this very helpful for speaker placement. My box speakers sound better another 2' or so out into the vs what the GIK folks told me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyTkwkK8ON0

doggie

« Reply #70 on: 29 Apr 2021, 01:30 pm »
@Desertpilot. How much lead time are you looking at for the X3 before shipping?

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #71 on: 29 Apr 2021, 02:23 pm »
Hello DP and congrats on your new X-3's.  I think your on the right track with your toe in approach although the room itself obviously plays a big factor.
You have probably seen my review, which shows you how I have set mine up.
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9VeZOdatao&t=194s&ab_channel=AudioTalk

Cheers...

Yes!  I've watched all your videos.  Thank you.  I especially liked your interview with Clayton.  Very informative.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #72 on: 29 Apr 2021, 02:30 pm »
@Desertpilot. How much lead time are you looking at for the X3 before shipping?

Ordered April 21st.  Spoke with Clayton, he said the subwoofers were on back order.  He should get them tomorrow.  He hopes to ship to me around May 7th.  At the moment there are only a couple of orders ahead of me.  In January, he said he had 45 orders in process.  So, build and shipping is dependent on how many orders he has to fulfill.  I am hopeful he gets the subwoofers in stock and can indeed ship May 7th.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #73 on: 29 Apr 2021, 02:31 pm »
I found this very helpful for speaker placement. My box speakers sound better another 2' or so out into the vs what the GIK folks told me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyTkwkK8ON0

Thanks!  I've watched LOTS a few times.  I am sure, at some point, I will use it to better position my speakers.  I have some GIK panels.  I think they are very good.  But, their speaker position tutorial is not good.

Marcus

doggie

« Reply #74 on: 30 Apr 2021, 01:54 pm »
Ordered April 21st.  Spoke with Clayton, he said the subwoofers were on back order.  He should get them tomorrow.  He hopes to ship to me around May 7th.  At the moment there are only a couple of orders ahead of me.  In January, he said he had 45 orders in process.  So, build and shipping is dependent on how many orders he has to fulfill.  I am hopeful he gets the subwoofers in stock and can indeed ship May 7th.

Marcus

Thanks. I have a pair of X5's on order but the Hypex subwoofer amps are also backordered. Crossing my fingers!
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2021, 03:13 pm by doggie »

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #75 on: 6 May 2021, 12:27 am »
Quick update.  There is no update.  I emailed Clayton Friday and left a voicemail Monday but no reply.  Maybe he's at an audio show or something.  Meanwhile, I went ahead and bought a DAC.  I want to run the speakers with DSD256 to analog.  Can't wait but I guess I'll have to wait a while longer.

Marcus

doggie

« Reply #76 on: 6 May 2021, 11:25 am »
I contacted him on Monday and he had been out of town. He is probably doing email catch up now.

What DAC did you buy?

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #77 on: 6 May 2021, 01:55 pm »
I contacted him on Monday and he had been out of town. He is probably doing email catch up now.

What DAC did you buy?

Thanks!  Did you get a build update from him on your X5s?  Mine should be along the same time frame.  If not, maybe I will call him again.

I purchased the Exasound S88 (multichannel DAC with streaming).  Why?  I've lusted for an Exasound every since Kal Rubinson (Stereophile) reviewed them many years ago.  It is a chip not tube model.  I can, of course, use it just for two channel but keep the multi channel capability.  Build time is two weeks.  There is a 30 day return policy.  Pricey but at 70 years old, this is the time.  I can't wait any longer.

I'm all solid state.  NAS to PC, JRiver on PC to Exasound dac via USB (can be via LAN as well), analog out via XLR to Marantz AV8805, Marantz analog out via XLR to Parasound A52+ amplifier.  I feel pretty confident about hookup.  Exasound offers great help too.

Marcus

doggie

« Reply #78 on: 7 May 2021, 01:41 am »
Thanks!  Did you get a build update from him on your X5s?  Mine should be along the same time frame.  If not, maybe I will call him again.

I got an email reply from him today. The parts are in and my speakers should ship out pretty close to the original time window.

I am really looking forward to this!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #79 on: 7 May 2021, 02:07 am »
Great news!  Thank you so much for the update.  Hopefully, mine will ship out soon as well.

Marcus