Tech Notes: iTube 2

Tomy2Tone

Re: Tech Notes: iTube 2
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2017, 12:19 am »
I will in my review Tommy, this is much better from top to bottom. Are you on the tour yet?

Cool. Not on the tour but it doesn't surprise me that you like it better. I've been using a sainsmart preamp that has the 5670 tubes as a buffer and it's better than the original itube with Astron ps I have. The sainsmart doesn't have the ability to lower gain like the itube2 does so I'm intrigued.

seadogs1

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2017, 04:54 pm »
Can the iTube 2 be used with an integrated amp with a separate DAC and a iMac? Thanks!

Pez

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2017, 08:13 pm »
Check it out, iTube 2 in AV setup has been getting quite a bit of love from industry insiders. This is our suggestion for use in AV systems.  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/av-home-entertainment/

I used the iTube2 on a cheap Sony Bluray player's audio outputs and it made a HUGE sonic improvement.

WC

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jan 2017, 09:03 pm »
Check it out, iTube 2 in AV setup has been getting quite a bit of love from industry insiders. This is our suggestion for use in AV systems.  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/av-home-entertainment/

I used the iTube2 on a cheap Sony Bluray player's audio outputs and it made a HUGE sonic improvement.

I will try it out in different scenarios with my AV receiver.

Pez

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2017, 04:47 pm »
Can the iTube 2 be used with an integrated amp with a separate DAC and a iMac? Thanks!

It would greatly depend on the DACs output type. But just to clarify, the iTube2 utilizes stereo RCA for analog inputs and outputs. There is no other means of plugging anything else in. Hope this helps!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2017, 03:42 pm »
Pez, could you explain what the buffer circuit actually does?  I've always equated buffering to allowing a better impedance match between output and input, and have thought of it as passive.  Is that right?  If it is passive how can the iTube 2 offer 9 dB of gain?

According to the user's manual the input impedance is 1,000,000 ohms for the buffer and 100,000 ohms for the preamp.  What is the recommended ratio of output to input impedance?

Output stage impedance is stated as < 1 ohm and corrected output impedance as <150 ohms.  What is a "corrected" impedance?

Thanks In Advance