Alpha's and RM40's at Gerry's (Turk)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #80 on: 27 Jul 2004, 07:57 pm »
PJCHAPPY,

I have the foambymail 4" foam (purchased at 50% off list on Ebay) and although there were a few pieces that weren't perfect, you can't tell once it is up on the wall.

I don't think you can do much better for $109 (this buys you 48 1'x1' pieces).

As already mentioned, you can go the DIY route by buying the panels, building a frame around it and wrapping in fabric.  If you are relatively skillful, you can make this quite attractive.

George

jgubman

« Reply #81 on: 27 Jul 2004, 08:45 pm »
Actually, if you look through foambymail's offerings on ebay, you can pick up a 48 pack of 3" x 1' x 1' wedge foamies for $49. A buck a wedge!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3278&item=3738407442

I know I stocked up on their "ebay specials" (at 1/4 the price I originally paid for my 24" x 48" sheets on their website :? ) and now have a big surplus of wedges waiting to go up.

I don't think you can touch the prices they're offering right now.

meilankev

« Reply #82 on: 27 Jul 2004, 08:51 pm »
pjchappy,

If you are looking for the most attractive solution, I suggest hiring 12 Swedish nude models to stand at the first-reflection points (you might only need 8 models, but I'm sure you can find something for the other 4 to do).  It might not do much for smoothing out the bass, but who cares???

:D

Kevin

John Casler

« Reply #83 on: 27 Jul 2004, 08:54 pm »
George,

Did you remove your ceiling foam?  If so why?  I didn't see it in the last photo's.

Also below is a drawing of the "angular incidence coefficient", I was refering to some time ago, regarding how the sound reacts to straight on as opposed to angular encounter.

As you can see, straight on incidence is in this case 4", while angular is 7.5".

Interesting stuff.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #84 on: 27 Jul 2004, 09:00 pm »
John,

Yes, it is down for right now.

I might put some up again in the near future.  The problem is that with the new location of my speakers, the foam will overlap where I have painted the ceiling black and have some recessed lights.  Not sure how good that will look or work...

George

ctviggen

« Reply #85 on: 27 Jul 2004, 09:08 pm »
Those guys also sell Visco-Elastic Foam for beds.  I can kill two birds with one stone!  (Get the bed foam and the bass trap foam.)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #86 on: 27 Jul 2004, 09:16 pm »
Just scored a 48 pack of 4"x12"x12" for $65 on Ebay!!  8)

I am going to use this behind my pj screen and see if it makes any difference.

George

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #87 on: 28 Jul 2004, 02:16 am »
Brian,

If you come out, that would be awesome.  I'll certainly be happy to learn from the master tuner :-)

Turk

« Reply #88 on: 28 Jul 2004, 04:49 pm »
I appreciate everyone's suggestions.  I would love a vist from Brian, as would Wayne and Tyson.  

Yes, George, it would be my pleasure to have you as a guest for the rematch.

So here's the plan.  I am working with Wayne at Bolder Cable to get the room treated and will let you all know when it is dialed.  Then we can have a rematch with Brian as the expert tuner. :D

Wayne also tells me he has a surprise for us to test, maybe a new product? :mrgreen:

Tyson

« Reply #89 on: 28 Jul 2004, 05:09 pm »
Wayne also tells me he has a surprise for us to test

This statement usually sets of a chain of events that results in Tyson's wallet being lighter by the end of the day.

Wayne1

« Reply #90 on: 28 Jul 2004, 05:16 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
Wayne also tells me he has a surprise for us to test

This statement usually sets of a chain of events that results in Tyson's wallet being lighter by the end of the day.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Turk

« Reply #91 on: 28 Jul 2004, 08:39 pm »
I thought Tyson would pick right up on that comment. :D   Wayne, You didn't know I was a drummer, and we ain't talking sticks :lol:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #92 on: 29 Jul 2004, 02:34 am »
Tyson is that a Scotch belly I see there?

Turk et al - what are the implications of placing a VMPS Larger right in the middle of all that equipment. Any issues with air vibrations on the racks and especially the TT? Those are sand bags?

Turk

« Reply #93 on: 29 Jul 2004, 02:32 pm »
Others present may want to chime in, but we ran both speakers with and without the sub.  I have also listened at high levels with it in and out.  My lead ears didn't detect a difference and this is the same configuration as my old house that seemed to have no issues.  The floor is a concrete slab, the table and platter are quite heavy and it sits on an isolation platform which in turn sts on sorbothane.  Those are bags of #8 lead shot.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #94 on: 29 Jul 2004, 05:45 pm »
Ahhh, a man after my own heart with a slab floor in the listening room!

Interesting that the sub did not seem to make a difference, but the RM's have that big old woofer already, and you would probably have to find some specific music that would show off the sub (like my Pipe Organ Sampler from Telarc  :wink: ).

And that platter looks like it came from a cave-man's cart! The first wheel, polished up for the turntable...

My dream is to have two larger subs in active tri-amp with the Marble 9.0s. Instead of that #8 lead shot would be 80lbs of Marble 9.0! Just asking for a guess, but what is the minimum amp watts that you guys think the Larger subs would require for each channel to go with the Marble 9.0s? They would each get 200 watts (100 watts to the Revelator  tweeter, 100 watts to the Revelator woofer).

Turk

« Reply #95 on: 29 Jul 2004, 07:23 pm »
I talked to tyson recently and he thinks that 2 original subs would be better for music than 2 larger subs.  Maybe he will respond.  You are right about the sub, we could have used more demo material with very low frequencies

Turk

« Reply #96 on: 29 Jul 2004, 07:28 pm »
Forgot to respond to the amp question.  I have a 200 watt a channel Rotel that I use for the sub.  Depending on the personal level of insanity, this is more than enough power.  I can't imagine needing more than 100 a channel.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #97 on: 29 Jul 2004, 07:30 pm »
Quote from: Turk
I talked to tyson recently and he thinks that 2 original subs would be better for music than 2 larger subs.  Maybe he will respond.  You are right about the sub, we could have used more demo material with very low frequencies

Turk,

I own two Larger subs, but decided that I don't need them for music and strictly use them in a HT capacity.

In my room I am getting very strong bass response down into the low 20's and some response as low as 15Hz from my RM 40's.  This was achieved by relatively close placement to the front wall and tuning of the PR.

Not sure why Tyson would go with two smaller subs...I do know that I prefer stereo subs or a mono sub when using them for music.

George

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #98 on: 29 Jul 2004, 08:22 pm »
Quote from: Turk

i think the best size for a pair of subs - regardless of mfr - would be based upon room size.  i have a pair of vmps larger subs in a ~26x38x8.5 room, with openings to a couple spaces at least as large as the room the speakers are in.  i couldn't imagine going to smaller subs in this room.  the bass is extremely tight & well-defined, w/no overload whatsoever.  in fact, i think a second pair, wired outta phase in the back of the room, would be beneficial.  i actually enjoy a *little* room reinforcement, & there's none to be had w/this set-up!   :wink:

ymmv,

doug s.

Tyson

« Reply #99 on: 29 Jul 2004, 08:37 pm »
I do prefer stereo subs, mono subs just don't have the same level of musicality.  Once you go below a certain frequency, you are not supposed to be able to localize a sub, but I find that even at low frequencies I can still locate the sub by "pressure", rather than by sound.  In other words, if the sub is off to the left, the bass "sound" seems to come from whatever speaker is producing bass, but the "pressure" of the sound wave comes from the subs location.  Not sure if that's clear, but that's the only way I know how to explain it.  It's better if you put the sub directly in the middle of your speakers, but still something that I notice.  Stereo subs is the way to go.

My recommendation of the Original subs is based on hearing them setup in a stereo config with monitor speakers, the bass is pretty amazing, especially when I had it set up at my place.  There was a tightness, speed, and especially texture, to their sound that I've not heard elsewhere, not even with the Larger sub (which I do think is a good sub).  But, I have not heard a setup with 2 largers in a stereo configuration, so take that for what its worth (probably not much :-) )