My NX-Otica build

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: My NX-Otica build
« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2023, 05:43 am »
Well I got my speaker cabinets back from paint.  The painter I hired didn't do a good job.  He was an auto body guy out of his element.  The MDF kept sucking up the paint.  I am not sure how many layers he put on but he definitely didn't put snuff primer coats and didn't sand in between.  He didn't  charge for what he did.  He knew himself the job wasn't good and he didn't have the time to fix it.  I had no problem paying him for a better job but he was done.   I am going to try to do the job myself.  I just had surgery today so it might be awhile before getting it done.  I thought about what had happened and next time I will put a vinyl sealer on before sending to paint.  I even thought about sealing and a sanding before glue up.  I am learning new skills as I go and having a good time.  My crossover and speaker cables are still in cryo and I till don't have a back so no rush.  oh I forgot to mention my cabinets went to paint well sanded and ready to paint, so the pre paint prep was fine.

Sorry to hear that, but it's paint and will eventually be OK!!  Have a look at this post... I saved it in my notes for future reference: 

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176715.msg1861589#msg1861589

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2023, 06:00 am »
There is an art to painting for sure and they generally don’t do perfect, the key is that they understand your expectations before you start. We’ve used 5 different guys and are finally happy with the current guy, problem is he wants more money every time as he now knows what’s expected!!! As someone mentioned in another thread, you can always sand them down and start fresh, it just takes time and patience, neither of which I personally possess. I believe that the judicious use of high build primer goes a long way to help the painting process in the end.

At the end of the day take solace in the fact that they will sound great when you get them up and running

Good luck

Don

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2023, 06:13 am »
Sorry to hear that, but it's paint and will eventually be OK!!  Have a look at this post... I saved it in my notes for future reference: 

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176715.msg1861589#msg1861589

Haha funny to quote that guy... but yeah that post gives the basic basics of painting speakers. I've already been trying to help along the way and we'll make sure these things turn out primo when they're all done. Unfortunately there are times where the autobody industry shows its uglier side and this was one of those occasions.

Brandon it's a bummer to hear you'll be laid up for a bit without your speakers being done already. When you're back up and around we'll get these things finished up properly. In the mean time you'll have plenty of opportunity to watch and learn from all the YouTube videos on the process.

BrandonB

« Reply #23 on: 30 Dec 2023, 02:01 pm »
There is an art to painting for sure and they generally don’t do perfect, the key is that they understand your expectations before you start. We’ve used 5 different guys and are finally happy with the current guy, problem is he wants more money every time as he now knows what’s expected!!! As someone mentioned in another thread, you can always sand them down and start fresh, it just takes time and patience, neither of which I personally possess. I believe that the judicious use of high build primer goes a long way to help the painting process in the end.

At the end of the day take solace in the fact that they will sound great when you get them up and running

Good luck

Don

Thank you.  I can't wait to listen to them.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2024, 05:29 am by BrandonB »