Stacking ac4's

sresener

Stacking ac4's
« on: 29 Sep 2019, 08:34 pm »
I am figuring out how im going to configure my rack and would there be any interference if I stacked my two ac4's directly on top of each other.

sresener

Re: Stacking ac4's
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2019, 10:21 pm »
I have a lot of options with my racks but this is what I was thinking.

Look past the mess as I have to nail the room acoustics, room size and speaker location down before I do finishing. :)

Also all of my subs (there are 3) are for movies not two channel listening. and there is a drop down projector screen that pretty much hides everything but the amps up front.

If there is any issues I'm going to have I would love feedback.

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2019, 05:18 pm »
You can stack them because they consist of filters inside.

sresener

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2019, 04:20 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me but another issue came up with a tall stack of equipment sitting between my mains. It sucked the life out of my soundstage.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2019, 07:50 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me but another issue came up with a tall stack of equipment sitting between my mains. It sucked the life out of my soundstage.

As an easy fix for that suck out, you might keep a moving blanket in the closet, and when doing "high performance listening", just drape the blanket over and in front of the equipment stack.

That should restore much of the soundstage and imaging.

sresener

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2019, 04:59 am »
As an easy fix for that suck out, you might keep a moving blanket in the closet, and when doing "high performance listening", just drape the blanket over and in front of the equipment stack.

That should restore much of the soundstage and imaging.

I ended moving equipment around to lower the rack height,  and then I started working on treating the back wall, and ended up with a  soundstage better than I had before.  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2019, 11:07 am »

Glad you heard that and for sharing.  With solid sound staging it should be easily heard.  Years ago had a compact secondary setup with a small rack and CRT TV between the speakers.  The image of a xylophone rift was clearly interrupted as it "entered" the TV from the right, then "reappeared" left of the TV.  I've always been a fan of small setups and had the same 22"h x 20"w x 16"d rack in use in my big rig along the front wall and noticed the same to a lesser extent.  Eventually downsized my setup even more and ended up with a single shelf on the floor away from the front wall with gear no more than 4" above the floor which really opened up the sound stage.  Currently running a NAD M10 for a compact one piece setup.

Wonder why you don't use the subs for audio.  My big rig now (audio only) has (10) 2ft x 4ft GIK 244 panels, (3) tall randomly filled bookcases for diffusion, and (3) subs to control bass peaks in a near ideal 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room as per the teachings of Floyd Toole.  Highly suggest reading his "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, the consummate layman's guide to room acoustics.  The subs work for the room, not audio versus HT.  Toole recommends carefully located subs near corners.  Having (6) woofers plus a sub inline is definitely not recommended.  I have mine 12", 19", and 31" from the corners.  If I pick up a fourth, it'd be 50" from the corner with the 31" sub moved off the floor. 

sresener

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2019, 05:09 pm »
Glad you heard that and for sharing.  With solid sound staging it should be easily heard.  Years ago had a compact secondary setup with a small rack and CRT TV between the speakers.  The image of a xylophone rift was clearly interrupted as it "entered" the TV from the right, then "reappeared" left of the TV.  I've always been a fan of small setups and had the same 22"h x 20"w x 16"d rack in use in my big rig along the front wall and noticed the same to a lesser extent.  Eventually downsized my setup even more and ended up with a single shelf on the floor away from the front wall with gear no more than 4" above the floor which really opened up the sound stage.  Currently running a NAD M10 for a compact one piece setup.

Wonder why you don't use the subs for audio.  My big rig now (audio only) has (10) 2ft x 4ft GIK 244 panels, (3) tall randomly filled bookcases for diffusion, and (3) subs to control bass peaks in a near ideal 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room as per the teachings of Floyd Toole.  Highly suggest reading his "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, the consummate layman's guide to room acoustics.  The subs work for the room, not audio versus HT.  Toole recommends carefully located subs near corners.  Having (6) woofers plus a sub inline is definitely not recommended.  I have mine 12", 19", and 31" from the corners.  If I pick up a fourth, it'd be 50" from the corner with the 31" sub moved off the floor.

Well it took me pretty much two days :( but with measuring, finding the best placement and phase settings I did end up getting two of the three subwoofers to work unbelievably excellent with my mains. That took my system to another level.

Now once my Manhattan 2 comes back from service I can simply connect my subs and main amps to the dac/pre and when it comes to movies I can run my the Manhattan in ht/bypass and have the best of both worlds.

I hate to say the achilleas heal (for my needs) of my evo dac was the lack of a ht bypass or even a simple analogue input would of worked. And there is no effective work around that gives you seamless volume control and functioning surround modes. (I tried them all Jason :) )

sresener

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2019, 05:18 pm »
I found with my subwoofer placement one in the front right but about a 12inches behind the mains  worked well (20inches off back wall and 30 from side wall) and one in the back left 20 inches from back and 12 inches from side wall.

I tried them everywhere too.

This picture is not exact placement but gives the Idea. With this setup (once I set my sub gains properly) I get no boomy or low frequencies that stick out. And I can not locate my subwoofers or even tell I have subwoofers running (until I turn them off)

sresener

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2019, 04:35 am »
I found with my subwoofer placement one in the front right but about a 12inches behind the mains  worked well (20inches off back wall and 30 from side wall) and one in the back left 20 inches from back and 12 inches from side wall.

I tried them everywhere too.

This picture is not exact placement but gives the Idea. With this setup (once I set my sub gains properly) I get no boomy or low frequencies that stick out. And I can not locate my subwoofers or even tell I have subwoofers running (until I turn them off)

I wanted to bounce this idea off everyone.
I want to add another theater seat so I wanted to make the back half of the room 2 ft wider and where it gets wider it would do it at a 45 degree angle. So the front wall would stay 12 ft wide and the back wall would be 14ft.
would this be a bad idea for sound quality in the room.

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2019, 09:28 pm »
I wanted to bounce this idea off everyone.
I want to add another theater seat so I wanted to make the back half of the room 2 ft wider and where it gets wider it would do it at a 45 degree angle. So the front wall would stay 12 ft wide and the back wall would be 14ft.
would this be a bad idea for sound quality in the room.

Might be slightly helpful.

Uneven and irregular room boundaries somewhat break up and redistribute reflected sound.

Equal and regular boundaries, like a perfect square, are not the best.

sresener

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2019, 01:43 am »
Your are right John, it made a nice improvement and makes me wish I could do it to both sides of the room.