Any one using a passive linestage?

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Any one using a passive linestage?
« on: 24 Sep 2019, 12:19 pm »
with any of the Odyssey amplifiers... They have a lot of gain and thus seem suitable for such a linestage, likevtge Reference Line Preeminence which took a lot of accolades.

JackD

Re: Any one using a passive linestage?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2019, 01:50 pm »
Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE works great with them.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2019, 01:57 pm »
I'm pretty sure his integrated amp has a passive pre amp.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2019, 04:23 pm »
Schiit SYS. Its a temporary until I get a Candela. By temporary I was thinking 6 months but its been almost 2 years   :slap: . Sounds good to me. For $50 I'm impressed.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2019, 09:06 am »
no worries...actually used our passive with 35 feet of IC's to the Khartago without a hiccup......

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2019, 12:57 pm »
I've got a Bent TAP-X connected to a Khartago stereo plus that works well being fed by a DAC that runs a little hot in its output stage (about 3V max if I remember correctly).

ElPerro

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2020, 10:56 pm »
Gentlemen:  What would be a good value to use for the potentiometer on a passive linestage for the Khartago?  Would anyone (perhaps of German parentage) that might chime in as to the value used on the Cyclops?  Thanks!

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2020, 03:57 am »
Gentlemen:  What would be a good value to use for the potentiometer on a passive linestage for the Khartago?

Some theory to assist you in your choice.

kbarry

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:16 pm »
I use an Audio Mirror T-61 passive pre to my Cyclops (Kismet upgrades).

If I didn’t already have the Cyclops and T-61, would have just gone for Klaus’s Kismet integrated when I upgraded the Cyclops. But at this point I want to stay married  :green:

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2020, 09:27 pm »
The OP hasn't responded since... so for others reading this, I prefer my older Tempest pre-amp to the 2 passive pre-amps that I have tried.

deadhead

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2020, 02:04 am »
I’ve run my Kismet through a Tortuga passive. Sound was excellent. I do prefer it paired with my Don Sachs model 2 but that’s the tubes talking.

qdrone

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2020, 06:48 am »
I use a modified Musical Concepts Adcom 750 pre amp in passive mode to drive a pair of Odyssey  Lorelei's  with the cross over upgrade. The amp is a Plinius 100 mk. 3. Great imaging.

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2020, 02:04 pm »
I use an Audio Mirror T-61 passive pre to my Cyclops (Kismet upgrades).

Audio Mirror passive?   :scratch:

I don't think so.  It has toobs, like any good line stage should!    :thumb:     :dance:

DeeCee

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2020, 12:37 am »
I guess I can add to this thread since I officially own a Khartago now; I use a Sonic Euphoria PLC and it works extremely well.

kernelbob

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2020, 12:52 am »
I highly recommend the Tortuga controllers.  I've been using one for years and it continues to exceed expectations.  The key to look at for compatibility is the input impedance of the downstream power amp, the higher the better.  I use the LDRxB balanced version being fed by a Lapizator Pacific DAC using a quad of 242 output tubes which are high gain which is a perfect match for the Tortuga.  The LDRxB drives a pair of Lampizator 211 True Balance3 Monoblocks updated with the 211 Pacific circuit and a pair of Spectron monoblocks.

Best,
Robert

MttBsh

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2020, 02:14 am »
I too recommend the Tortuga passive, which in my case feeds a Digital Amplifier Company STM King amp. I just began using the newly released Channel Islands Audio DMC-1 streamer and DAC as my source. I am wanting for nothing.

MatthewT

« Reply #16 on: 1 Oct 2020, 02:41 am »
no worries...actually used our passive with 35 feet of IC's to the Khartago without a hiccup......

Is the passive still available?

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2020, 12:40 pm »
I like using a passive line stage instead of my preamp sometimes.
I built one to use with a hot phono preamp and a tube amp with an easy to drive input stage.
Sometimes the noise floor is lower when you use a passive linestage compared to a preamp but you can lose some dynamics with the passive linestage.
One of the passives I built uses an Alps blue velvet and the other uses a Danish Audio ConnecT 24 step attenuator.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2020, 04:40 am »
I used a Stratos 120,000uF with a tube buffer, no gain, many years ago and I was very pleased with the result.
I have used low gain preamplifiers like SPL's Volume 2 with excellent results also.
I remember also Odyssey's passive Etesian, worked incredibly good, also a passive from CI, and some CD players/DAC with variable output  and enough voltage output can do the job

mav52

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2020, 02:01 pm »
I've been using a W4S STP SE for years and actually I like it better than my older AR LS17SE as the W$S is neutral. .   It pairs great with my PASS XA30.5 my Vincent Sp 331MKII and pretty much any amp I throw at it.