"Tempesta Xtreme"

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: "Tempesta Xtreme"
« Reply #40 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:40 pm »
Nice job rick.  Would this be offered in kit form,if so how much?

$3,150/pr. including shipping to the mainland USA (cabinets and damping material not included).

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #41 on: 8 Feb 2012, 08:21 pm »
Today I was asked if it's possible to incorporate the upper section of the Salk Soundscape and combine it with the 7" Illuminator in a dual cabinet design like this. With a mid/ tweeter top cabinet and one 7" in the bottom cabinet the cost (including shipping to the mainland USA) would be $4,000/pr. for our standard finishes.

ricardojoa

« Reply #42 on: 10 Feb 2012, 01:38 pm »
Today I was asked if it's possible to incorporate the upper section of the Salk Soundscape and combine it with the 7" Illuminator in a dual cabinet design like this. With a mid/ tweeter top cabinet and one 7" in the bottom cabinet the cost (including shipping to the mainland USA) would be $4,000/pr. for our standard finishes.

I brought this idea earlier in this post, but you said there was nothing to be desired from that set up, but now you are offering it? The only thing i did not mention was the use of the raal 70-20 but as you also said , depending on application, the 70-10 have its own advantage.
So what top cabinet are you using for the top section?

Actually is there any other woofer that can be replaced for a higher sensitivity? Both acutton and seas excel have high DB over the the SS iluminatoir, but i guess they dont play as deep.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #43 on: 10 Feb 2012, 06:33 pm »

What speakers do you currently have? The pair before them? Just trying to see what your frame of reference is so I can answer your questions within that perspective.

I brought this idea earlier in this post, but you said there was nothing to be desired from that set up, but now you are offering it? The only thing i did not mention was the use of the raal 70-20 but as you also said , depending on application, the 70-10 have its own advantage.

Actually is there any other woofer that can be replaced for a higher sensitivity? Both acutton and seas excel have high DB over the the SS iluminatoir, but i guess they dont play as deep.

ricardojoa

« Reply #44 on: 10 Feb 2012, 07:29 pm »
What speakers do you currently have? The pair before them? Just trying to see what your frame of reference is so I can answer your questions within that perspective.

Rick, for reference, here is my ealier post:
"Rick, is there any advantage by going with a bigger accuton (5") to do the midrange duties and leave the SS for bass duties. I believe the 2in. accuton on the tempesta doesnt really go low so some of the midrange is produced by the SS. What i thinking is, use the smaller version of the curved cabinets (7.5 in width) for the highs and 5in mid, stacked on top of the regular tempesta cabinet which will house the the woofer only. Could there be any advantage witht the slimmer profile for the highs and mid section as compare to the Tempesta?

Thanks"

I currently have Songtower dome version.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #45 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:41 pm »
I mentioned this since I received a request to quote it. I'm still perfectly happy with the Tempesta and Tempesta Extreme. It's all a matter of what you want in terms of tradeoffs. The top cabinet is a smaller version of the Tempesta cabinet.

As far as sensitivity in the woofer the driver manufacturer specs can be misleading because there is no set standard for this. Some pick the level at 1K which can be quite different than the average over the driver's usual operating range. There's not a large difference between those that you mentioned and it is true that there can be a tradeoff between sensitivity and bass extension. I use the Illuminator for several reasons and it's better for this application than the Seas or Accuton woofers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #46 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:52 pm »

The 5" will go maybe an octave lower but it cannot move as much air in that region as the 7". The 7.5" width cabinet places the tweeter too low when the 22" high cabinet is used as a base. The width isn't really an issue and it's a common misconception that a smaller baffle width yields better imaging.

Rick, for reference, here is my ealier post:
"Rick, is there any advantage by going with a bigger accuton (5") to do the midrange duties and leave the SS for bass duties. I believe the 2in. accuton on the tempesta doesnt really go low so some of the midrange is produced by the SS. What i thinking is, use the smaller version of the curved cabinets (7.5 in width) for the highs and 5in mid, stacked on top of the regular tempesta cabinet which will house the the woofer only. Could there be any advantage witht the slimmer profile for the highs and mid section as compare to the Tempesta?

Thanks"

I currently have Songtower dome version.

Rektifier

« Reply #47 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:39 am »
Hello Everyone,

The request earlier about the Salk SoundScape mid and tweet was made by me.
Here's my current logic behind it.
The 5 inch accuton must be used with the RAAL 70-20R to minimize ringing, the RAAL 70-20 allows for a lower XO and therefore helps the accuton remain in the area that it can shine. The reason the Tempests use the RAAL 70-10 and the Accuton 2 inch is for proper xo and to prevent ringing, which by the way looks like an amazing build.
I really like the Scanspeak illuminator, I've been looking at the 7" or 8" in a separate sealed cabinet while trying to maintain a nice xo region from the accuton to the woofer. These will also be used with a subwoofer LMS5400 18 inch.

Rektifier

« Reply #48 on: 12 Feb 2012, 08:12 am »
Hello Everyone,

The 5 inch accuton must be used with the RAAL 70-20R to minimize ringing, the RAAL 70-20 allows for a lower XO and therefore helps the accuton remain in the area that it can shine. The reason the Tempests use the RAAL 70-10 and the Accuton 2 inch is for proper xo and to prevent ringing, which by the way looks like an amazing build.
I really like the Scanspeak illuminator, I've been looking at the 7" or 8" in a separate sealed cabinet while trying to maintain a nice xo region from the accuton to the woofer. These will also be used with a subwoofer LMS5400 18 inch.

I've been thinking a bit more about this, the raal 70-10d and smaller accuton may be yet a better combo to control diffraction and better freq integration. Still researching, the larger accuton with the 70-20 build could allow a larger woofer for the bottom end, perhaps a scanspeak revelator 10in?

ricardojoa

« Reply #49 on: 12 Feb 2012, 03:14 pm »
The 5" will go maybe an octave lower but it cannot move as much air in that region as the 7". The 7.5" width cabinet places the tweeter too low when the 22" high cabinet is used as a base. The width isn't really an issue and it's a common misconception that a smaller baffle width yields better imaging.

Rick,
it looks like design like this (box sitting on box) opens up other desings without the need for custom built cabinets. Do you think that there are trade off with theses types of desings or is one piece full cabinet still preferable?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #50 on: 12 Feb 2012, 05:39 pm »

Actually the reason I use the 2" dome mid in the Tempesta is that it allows for a 3-way monitor in a realistic cabinet size. The RC3R and Tanzanite designs that came before it have been popular and I wanted to kick it up a notch with the best drivers available. The C90 needs a subenclosure which increases the cabinet size too much for a single cabinet in my opinion. At that point it's better to go to a 2-piece or floorstanding cabinet.

Hello Everyone,

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #51 on: 12 Feb 2012, 10:54 pm »
Yes, the C90 does allow you to use a larger woofer if desired.

I've been thinking a bit more about this, the raal 70-10d and smaller accuton may be yet a better combo to control diffraction and better freq integration. Still researching, the larger accuton with the 70-20 build could allow a larger woofer for the bottom end, perhaps a scanspeak revelator 10in?

Rektifier

« Reply #52 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:28 pm »
Thanks again Rick! Do you think using a 10" ScanSpeak with the C90 would be a wise choice vs the 7" Illuminator that you are using? I worry that i could sacrifice a bit of "speed" with a larger woofer.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #53 on: 13 Feb 2012, 04:45 pm »
Since you're adding a subwoofer I would go with dual 7's on each side.

Thanks again Rick! Do you think using a 10" ScanSpeak with the C90 would be a wise choice vs the 7" Illuminator that you are using? I worry that i could sacrifice a bit of "speed" with a larger woofer.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #54 on: 14 Feb 2012, 04:34 am »

No negatives as long as the cabinet volumes are right for each driver and the tweeter height is correct.

Rick,
it looks like design like this (box sitting on box) opens up other desings without the need for custom built cabinets. Do you think that there are trade off with theses types of desings or is one piece full cabinet still preferable?

ricardojoa

« Reply #55 on: 15 Feb 2012, 05:45 pm »
Since you're adding a subwoofer I would go with dual 7's on each side.

Rick,
do you mean the upper section will have the raal and the five inch accuton, then the bottom section will two illuminator? Would the woofer be too far from the to have good integration ?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #56 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:34 pm »
Rick,
do you mean the upper section will have the raal and the five inch accuton, then the bottom section will two illuminator? Would the woofer be too far from the to have good integration ?

Yes, that driver combination. The crossover point is low enough that the wavelengths are long compared to the driver distance so integration isn't a problem.

vettett15

« Reply #57 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:08 am »
Rick,

What are you thoughts between the Tre Supremo and the Tempesta/Tempesta Xtreme?  Does the Tempesta win out in clarity with the Tre Supremo providing better dynamics and further reach into the low end?  Would you take a Tempesta + good sub over the Tre Supremo?

pslate

« Reply #58 on: 16 Feb 2012, 11:12 pm »
I heard a Selah speaker with this Illuminator mid at the Wisconsin GTG :thumb: Incredible, really opened things up in comparison to the Veritas I brought with me. The Veritas sounded great, and the bass they produced in a room that large was impressive, but that mid seemed to add a little something special to the mix. I could not stay to hear the accuton mid in action, but I was very, very impressed with the paper illuminator mid-range. In retrospect I wished I stayed to hear it, but at the time I had a spousal deadline to meet :|

ricardojoa

« Reply #59 on: 17 Feb 2012, 12:05 am »
I heard a Selah speaker with this Illuminator mid at the Wisconsin GTG :thumb: Incredible, really opened things up in comparison to the Veritas I brought with me. The Veritas sounded great, and the bass they produced in a room that large was impressive, but that mid seemed to add a little something special to the mix. I could not stay to hear the accuton mid in action, but I was very, very impressed with the paper illuminator mid-range. In retrospect I wished I stayed to hear it, but at the time I had a spousal deadline to meet :|

You mean the midrange sounded better with the 4" paper cone illuminator midrange over the larger 7" woofer aluminum illuminator of the verita?