Open Back Upgrade

apstoltz

Open Back Upgrade
« on: 13 Oct 2018, 08:47 pm »
Well about a year or so ago I bought the Phillips shp9500 open back can and it is really nice for the money but the upgrade bug has hit and I want to step up to the next level in open cans. Budget is around $150-200, I have thought about the Massdrop Sennheiser hd58x or the hd6xx......anything else I should be looking at?
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2018, 10:45 am by apstoltz »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Open Back Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2018, 08:57 pm »
For this large budged I would apply a Senn HD800(if you like clinic, cold sound) or any of the new crop of HifiMan for musical and harmonically rich sound as Edition X-V2($899 today) Ananda($999) or some upstep as the new Jade-II if funds allow. Personally I would avoid the new HE5-SE and HE6-SE.
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ananda.html

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/edition-x-v2.html

I would wait the BlackFriday next month as HifiMan always have good offers.

apstoltz

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2018, 02:59 am »
Those listed above may be out of my budget.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2018, 04:22 am »
Well about a year or so ago I bought the Phillips shp9500 open back can and it is really nice for the money but the upgrade bug has hit and I want to step up to the next level in open cans. Budget is around $2150-200, I have thought about the Massdrop Sennheiser hd58x or the hd6xx......anything else I should be looking at?

Budget of $2150 gets you a lot of headphone.  For me, I've heard pretty much all the top stuff and I still come back to the Beyer T1 as the best (most balanced) headphone I've ever heard. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2018, 05:00 am »
Budget of $2150 gets you a lot of headphone.  For me, I've heard pretty much all the top stuff and I still come back to the Beyer T1 as the best (most balanced) headphone I've ever heard.
This budget is excelent. I dont metioned the Audeze LCD2Classic due its hi price, it was obsoleted by the robust all metal Sundara $499. With this loose budget I would take the Edition X-V2 at 899, surely in the Black Friday it will rebate to even lower price if yet avaliable.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2018, 06:07 am by FullRangeMan »

apstoltz

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2018, 10:45 am »
After looking at my original post it looks like I made a typo. My budget is $150-200. .

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2018, 12:23 pm »
Here are a couple easy recommendations at the <$200 for ya Adam:

https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE-400I-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672

and

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Premium-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones-high-end/dp/B00193FT26/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539519129&sr=8-3&keywords=beyerdynamic+dt990+premium

A few years ago I was looking for something with a little "more" sound than my Senn HD650s. I ended up with the Beyerdynamic DT990 premiums (NOT PRO) as they were the most comfortable headphones I tried and also had a sound which really appealed to me. The other contenders, soundwise, were the Hifiman HE560 and HE400i headphones. They both sound great to me but lacked the comfort factor. I do most of my headphone listening laying in bed, and the bulky Hifiman headband just isn't made for that.

The only caveat I have with the DT990 is that my particular set is fairly old and I always wonder if a brand new pair would sound the same.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2018, 07:34 pm »
Agreed, the Beyers are great dynamic headphones. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2018, 08:08 pm »

gefski

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2018, 08:43 pm »
If you're willing to shop for mint used or open box, the classic "mid-fi" trio have been around for years and remain reference mid-priced cans for good reason. They are relatively neutral, so scale up beautifully with dac and amp improvements. Senn HD600/650 family are the sweetest, smooth as silk, Beyerdynamic DT880 may be the most accurate top to bottom, and AKG K701 (Austrian with angled pads) are transparent with a huge soundstage, though many find them a bit light on the bottom end.

If you can get to a meet, you should get a chance to try these and others. "Begging and borrowing" before buying sure works for me.

apstoltz

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2018, 09:40 pm »
If you're willing to shop for mint used or open box, the classic "mid-fi" trio have been around for years and remain reference mid-priced cans for good reason. They are relatively neutral, so scale up beautifully with dac and amp improvements. Senn HD600/650 family are the sweetest, smooth as silk, Beyerdynamic DT880 may be the most accurate top to bottom, and AKG K701 (Austrian with angled pads) are transparent with a huge soundstage, though many find them a bit light on the bottom end.

If you can get to a meet, you should get a chance to try these and others. "Begging and borrowing" before buying sure works for me.

It definitely would be nice to go listen to the hifimans. Closest show is probably the axpona in Chicago.

apstoltz

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2018, 09:41 pm »
There is 2 open box offers ($169 $189) to USA/Canada:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-400i-570.html

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he400s-open-box.html

From what I have read many prefer the I compared to the s version?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2018, 10:18 pm »
From what I have read many prefer the I compared to the s version?
I also prefer the I version as it have less SPL(93dB) and more bass a long with angled pads, the S have 98dB and no angled velour pads.
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-400i.html
Here is a I review:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/hifiman

apstoltz

« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2018, 10:44 pm »
Any thoughts on the akg cans?

deadhead

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2018, 12:07 am »
I'm surprised no one mentioned Grado.  The SR 125e is right in your price range. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2018, 03:32 am »
Any thoughts on the akg cans?

The K7xx, which commenced production during the same timeframe Harman was shutting down all AKG production in Austria and moving it to China, is a good candidate and sounds a lot better than Massdrop's $200 asking price. It's basically a rebadged K712 Anniversary, which is a more welcoming listen than the analytical and sometimes strident K701.

As a past owner of HD580 and HD650, I can tell you that both are more forgiving than the AKGs but the AKGs are somewhat more detailed as well as more neutral. While I respect the classic HD58x and 6xx designs, and had much good listening time with both, if I were buying today I would choose the AKGs.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2018, 12:19 pm »
Another vote for Hifiman 400i, they were $500 new, at the price they are now they're an absolute steal.

apstoltz

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2018, 04:25 pm »
All good stuff. I wish I could demo the AKG and HifiMan as I do not think there is a hifi store around that carry the two brands.

keenween

« Reply #18 on: 18 Oct 2018, 04:48 pm »
I had a pair of the AKG 702 Anniversary (701 variant), I passed them along because the fit was just a little off. I really liked them but thought they were more well suited for nicer headphone amps and not so good from my phone or ipad. My other thought was they sounded better at higher dBs too, they gave the impression of listening to good monitors with the volume turned up and a good amp behind them, the lows bloomed and it sounded nice and extended at top...but at a volume I would only care to listen to 10% of the time.

I love my Sony MA-900, they pop up used on head-fi every so often. Sound great (a little warm and forgiving) from my iphone (or anything) but scale as much as I need them too with better equipment. I would be curious to put this against their flagship since I bet the drivers are very similar.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123600.0

Good luck! I always wanted to try the Senn 600/650.

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2018, 02:25 am »
I had a pair of the AKG 702 Anniversary (701 variant), I passed them along because the fit was just a little off. I really liked them but thought they were more well suited for nicer headphone amps and not so good from my phone or ipad.

The AKGs are well known for being a challenge to drive. Any respectable headphone amp should be able to deal with them, but not portable devices or (to a lesser degree) computers.

Same goes for the 300 ohm Sennheisers.

Going back through the thread, I don't see the driving source mentioned, and this would be usefu info. Some cans are easier loads than others.