Anyone know why Herbie never responds to phone calls or email?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
I'm very interested in isolation products for my amp and speakers. In the past 6 months I've called multiple times and left voicemails and emailed him, but not a single response. I'm a repeat customer and find it a little offending. Herbie always used to answer or return my calls several years ago when I bought his tube rings, CD mat, coasters, etc.  what happened to his customer service?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
By what I have read in Herbie Circle last year Herbie retired and now his son Steve is running the bussiness, I not all sure though.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2018, 07:58 am by FullRangeMan »

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Still, what kind of customer service is Herbie's Audio Labs providing now? None.  Sad what happened to his business.  Thanks for the reply.

Wind Chaser

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. According to his profile he's still around. He could be on vacation, or tending to other matters. Many small companies are essentially one or two man operations.

sumoking

I put in an order via email not too long ago and he sent the order to me the next day.
Orders gets his attention.
Great products!

gregfisk

• Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. According to his profile he's still around. He could be on vacation, or tending to other matters. Many small companies are essentially one or two man operations.

I'm pretty sure he isn't on vacation, this has been going on for months. People are saying if they order something they get it but he doesn't respond otherwise. If his son did take over that would explain a lot. His son probably just isn't into it or has another job to deal with. Anyway, it seems like someone representing the company should come on here and say what's going on, it's just common courtesy to do so.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Steve Herbelin was the guy that responded to me on the Circle or shipped product out. That was some time ago.
I think Robert Herbelin took over the business.
Looking at his profile says he was last active here 3/2/2018. I wonder why he is not responding back to request?

brj

You may want to double check the email address and phone numbers that you're using.  (It's also possible that your email is in a spam folder somewhere.)  Note that they no longer use any of the "herbiesaudiolab.net" email addresses.

Steve is retired, but still occasionally responds to inquires, or at least he did to me last year.  Robert actively runs the business now.  Both have always responded to my emails within a day or two unless they were out of town.

My orders in June and October of last year were filled within a day.  The June order was preceded by a detailed email discussion.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I recently had an order shipped quickly...  :scratch:

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Thanks for the responses guys.  It's great your orders get processed quickly, but that's not the point of my thread. I have questions about his products, but no one is there to respond. I don't wat to order products not suitable for my applications because I don't know the products well enough to make informed choices.

I've used the phone number I've used in the past and get VM stating he'll get back to me. But crickets every time.  Call me old fashioned but I like to talk to a live person over emails.

Wind Chaser

Re: Anyone know why Herbie never responds to phone calls or email?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2018, 06:21 am »
We’ll keep at it, be persistent and I’m sure you’ll eventually get through. I know how frustrating it is, I had a similar experience last year trying to buy some $900 cables.  :?

screener

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2018, 12:50 pm »
After 6 months of no calls or e-mails returned I'd give up. I'm sure you have read his FAQs on his site. The company needs to let consumers know if they are returning calls or e-mails. If your site has a contact page with a number and e-mail address published then obviously the company should reply. We don't know all the facts yet.
Herbies has always delivered on time. We all know or have had such experiences. Lets not jump to any conclusions till we know the facts. 

brj

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2018, 05:18 pm »
You'll note in my response that I said that I did, in fact, have a productive email exchange with Herbie's before my order.  And again, double check the email address that you're using to make sure it isn't one of the discontinued herbiesaudiolab.net addresses.  You want either "info" or "audiolab" @ "herbiesaudiolab.com."  I believe that "info" is what gets used when you submit a question via their webform, but "audiolab" is the address from which I've received responses.

(I had this happen to me with SonicCraft.  Spent a few months being frustrated at Jeff's lack of response after a history of great responses, only to discover that I'd missed an email address change.  Shame on me.)

sumoking

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2018, 05:53 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys.  It's great your orders get processed quickly, but that's not the point of my thread. I have questions about his products, but no one is there to respond. I don't wat to order products not suitable for my applications because I don't know the products well enough to make informed choices.

I've used the phone number I've used in the past and get VM stating he'll get back to me. But crickets every time.  Call me old fashioned but I like to talk to a live person over emails.

What is your application?  Share your question and I'm sure someone here knows the right product for your application.

If anyone knows a better source for better products please share.  I will say I have spent limited money on some great products and the results were great.  I don't know a better option, so I stay with Herbie.  I also buy everything I think I need when I order in case they go out of business.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2018, 06:27 pm »
What is your application?  Share your question and I'm sure someone here knows the right product for your application.

If anyone knows a better source for better products please share.  I will say I have spent limited money on some great products and the results were great.  I don't know a better option, so I stay with Herbie.  I also buy everything I think I need when I order in case they go out of business.

+1

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2018, 10:30 pm »
If anyone knows a better source for better products please share.  I will say I have spent limited money on some great products and the results were great.  I don't know a better option, so I stay with Herbie.

+2

I was quite surprised by his tube dampers, the difference they made was obvious. I don’t know of a better solution for microphonic tubes, let alone anything as cost effective

Lancelot

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2018, 11:33 pm »

Is it possible that the son simply doesn't have the same expertise his father has so is hesitant to make recommendations etc. Filling the orders and sending them out is the easy part ( I'm assuming the actual production was somehow established before Steve retired.)

I have no inside info, just a guess on my part.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2018, 01:20 am »
Dracule, I know it's a pain in the butt....but there is a wealth of answered questions in this circle. Perhaps reading through some of the threads might find a similar situation? You will also increase your knowledge of the products and Mr. Herbie's  tendencies of application as you dig in.

Also I am sure there is a money back guarantee so experimentation will lead to experience and then sharing your results here can help others as well.

Sorry. I know that is not what you want to hear.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2018, 02:30 am »
I sure Herbie is a good guy, some years a go I PM Herbie to order some RX to 6C33/6sn7, he prompt replied gently, unfortunately he could not ship to me but a year later he ship my stuff to CA where I found a AC member friend that kindly re-ship to me.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2018, 01:42 am »
I have these speakers weighing 120 lbs each.  They have integrated stands that use 4 aluminum cones per speaker. But the cones aren't sharp and have 1/4" radius to them so they don't pierce the carpet. My room is suspended wooden floor.  I already have Giant cone/spike decoupling gliders that I can use but I don't think the radiused cones of my speakers will fit into the dimple properly. First of all, is it a good idea to use decoupling gliders to begin with?  Is there an alternative? Or am I better off letting my speaker cone just lie on top of the carpet directly? Herbie has these speaker cones that seem to work well but my cones are 3.5" tall which is the height required to work with the stand.  Does he make custom versions of the cones?

If Herbie or anyone else could chime in, I be appreciative.