NS-40 (40 watt/channel) tube stereo tour!

dangerbird

Re: NS-40 (40 watt/channel) tube stereo tour!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2010, 05:25 am »
Reviewers are most welcome to give her a spin! If you want more time than 1.5 weeks, I can place you at the end of the list so there are no time constraints. When the amp is ready to go, I will take down your information and form a list.
[/

Please move me to the end of the list . :D

thanks

Mariusz

« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2010, 06:25 am »
And you can move me to the front for photo session and initial, unprofessional impressions. And please include your interconnect cables. Those were real nice.
 :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2010, 06:29 am »
A week and a half is more than enough to evaluate the amp.  As long as it's not the week of CES.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2010, 06:34 am »
Mariusz-This outta be awesome with Omens or JBL!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:03 am »
I had Blair's preamplifier and liked it a lot. His interconnects weren't bad either........actually, there were quite good. From previous experiences with Niteshade gear I sure hope this amp will stir things up in my SET amp collection. Zu Omens can probably get by with 2-5 watts and sound respectable. 8- 20wpc would be plenty for most rooms. 40 wpc should give them some headroom for extended dynamic range within sane listening levels (say 95-105db). Anyway, it should be fun.

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:15 am »
I had Blair's preamplifier and liked it a lot. His interconnects weren't bad either........actually, there were quite good. From previous experiences with Niteshade gear I sure hope this amp will stir things up in my SET amp collection. Zu Omens can probably get by with 2-5 watts and sound respectable. 8- 20wpc would be plenty for most rooms. 40 wpc should give them some headroom for extended dynamic range within sane listening levels (say 95-105db). Anyway, it should be fun.

Hi.
I drive my V1 (97db efficient) to almost ear piercing level with only 10wpc (Niteshade Audio SE-15) in a huge living room (24'X24'X9' ceiling.)
the extra watts will be there when needed for dynamic peaks.
Guy 13

Mariusz

« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:35 am »
Well, Zu Omens aren't as efficient as your GR OB speakers. There're 98db on paper but  I am expecting them to be in 92-94db range. Impedance is also a bit shaky and could drop as low as 4-6 Ohm. Room liveness also comes into play. But honestly, I am not talking about volume or how loud speakers can play but headroom which is often omitted from consideration. Without that reserve of power, some of the more difficult music passages or dynamic peaks, simply can't be faithfully reproduce.

Just my 2c  :thumb: 

Mariusz

« Reply #27 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:39 am »
Also keep in mind that you're relieving your Niteshade amp from powering those power hungry woofers. :wink:

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:48 am »
Also keep in mind that you're relieving your Niteshade amp from powering those power hungry woofers. :wink:
Hi all.
The two Rythmik 370 wpc sub woofer amplifiers (One for each channel) are of indispensable help for any Niteshade amplifier, even a 40 wpc. I can't imagine my 10 wpc amplifier driving those 84.7db power hungry drivers subwoofers.
Guy 13

JakeJ

« Reply #29 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:06 am »
Hi Blair,

I also would like to audition your amp.  I'm in WA state, same as Jeff Dorgay (TonePub), so if it could be co-ordinated with the journey to him that would be great.

Best,
Jake

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #30 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:09 am »
Since there are a few people with sensitive speakers in the mix, I'll send it with a DC filament upgrade. I am also considering using my new heavy duty chassis option. Allot of traveling is very hard on a chassis and typically causes the transformers to sag.

Glad to see so much interest!

NOTE: Dealers & Reviewers are welcome to participate!

MaxCast

« Reply #31 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:15 am »
Good luck with the tour, Blair.  I think what you are doing is great.  Makes me wish I had more sensitive speakers.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #32 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:20 am »
The NS-40 puts out nearly 50 watts per channel. It is slightly underrated. If your speakers are 85db and up, it will work. What will suffer is dynamic range. I was absolutely shocked at how well it powered my VR-2's.

GUY: Too bad you are on the other side of that big pond!
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2010, 01:34 pm by Niteshade »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:56 pm »
Since there are a few people with sensitive speakers in the mix, I'll send it with a DC filament upgrade. I am also considering using my new heavy duty chassis option. Allot of traveling is very hard on a chassis and typically causes the transformers to sag.

Glad to see so much interest!

NOTE: Dealers & Reviewers are welcome to participate!

Very much looking forward to it.   :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #34 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:23 am »
So, is this happening?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:54 am »
I guess, I could be in too, as jtwrace just lives down the road from me and I could pick it up from him! Single ended inputs I take it? And, please send the 6SN7 version, not the 12AU7.

Anand.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #36 on: 28 Nov 2010, 11:26 am »
The tour is happening- around January as mentioned in the beginning thread. More people can join if they want.

dangerbird

« Reply #37 on: 28 Nov 2010, 01:49 pm »
And you can move me to the front for photo session and initial, unprofessional impressions. And please include your interconnect cables. Those were real nice.
 :thumb:

he,he,, might as well throw in a Beacon too,,or should I say Beacon two,,or three  :D

JK--kinda.

nodiak

« Reply #38 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:56 pm »
I'm interested in taking part in this tour. Speakers from 86/8 ohm to 91/4 ohm. ~ 300ft2 room.
I'm in north Cal., 300 miles north of San Fran.
What are "rules" - how long to keep amp, pay shipping to next person, etc. ?
Thanks Blair.
Don

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #39 on: 28 Nov 2010, 05:13 pm »
  Blair the Pipedreams are waiting. please include me on the tour, thanks. Anxious to hear the preamp which soon is coming my way, can't wait the nervosa is perking.

charles