The best sounding audio system in the past 40 years ? ? ?

Guy 13

Hi all.
Yes, finally I have completed the phase one of the evaluation of my audio equipment.
(Phase two and three to follow in the weeks to come.)
List of the equipment I've used/tested :
Speakers : GR Research V-1

Amplifier : Niteshade Audio NS-15 (10wpc)

Volume most of the time set at 11 o’clock or 3 to 5 wpc.
Tubes supplied with the amplifier :
Raytheon 5U4GB (USA)
Motorola (NOS) 6SN7GTA (USA)
Sovtek 6L6WGC (Russia)
Alternative/tube rolling :
(Purchased from Tube Depot)
Sovtek 5AR4 (Russia)
Realistic 6SN7GTB (UK)
Sovtek 6L6WXT+ (Russia)
Interconnects : Signal Cables model : SilverRes-SilverBullet.
Speaker cables : Signal Cables model : ClassicSingleWire-C. (Spade/Banana)

Rega Apollo CD player
All the above listed equipment only has a few hours, therefore not yet broken/burn in.
Power supply : 230V/50Hz, no power conditioner.
Room treatment : 50% carpet, sofa, curtains…
                            50% concrete wall & ceiling w/ceramic floor
                            Medium reverberation...
Room size :
(Including living room, dining room, entrance hall and large stairs) 27 feet X 28 feet.
Actual listening area is : 12 feet X 15 feet.
Ceiling height : 9 feet 6 inches.
Distance between the V-1 is 8 feet in an equidistant triangle.
Distance from the back wall 5 feet.
Music used :
Bob Marley and the Wailers – Uprising (Reggae)
BABATUNDE OLATUNJI – Circle of drums.
The Dave Brubeck Quartet – Time out – Jazz.
Fanfare for a common man – TELARC DIGITAL (Drums)
Planet ZOUK – Maldon (Reggae)
Andreas Vollenweider – Behind the gardens – Pyramid (Harp)
I hope I have not forgotten any information, statistics or data.
If I did, please feel free to ask.
Now the BIG question. How does it sound ?
I will start with the bass : I love bass.
Natural, deep and tight. Perfect.
Mids and highs : Natural, depending on the recording.
A good system will sound bad if the recording (CD/LP) is badly recorded.
The highs are a little aggressive at times, probably due to the room acoustics, also complex music is a little fuzzy, lack details.
I mean a little, I can live with that.
If the CD is well recorded, then the listening pleasure is at its maximum.
Tube rolling did not make much difference for me in the sound quality, it was a little better with the tubes from Tube Depot (See above) but maybe it’s my imagination.
I am a believer in switching boxes for amplifier and speakers. When switching from one to the other within 2 to 4 seconds, you can really hear if there is a difference.   
My overall impression goes for all the equipment and the whole system and it’s…
Well, almost perfect for me and that’s because I am very demanding, otherwise, it would be perfect. I still have to compare the V-1 with the V-2, but for the amplifier, no problem, it’s doing his job beautifully, dead quiet, enough power and dynamic for my 97db efficient V-1.
I still need to try later on a NS-30 push pull Niteshade Audio amplifier to see if I can improve the dynamic, but for now, the NS-15 keeps me happy and for under : 1,000 USD it’s a deal.
In the past I had a Naim 60wpc for which I paid twice the price of the NS-15 and did not sound better, yes it had a very detailed sound, but also a very aggressive sound.
Tube is my cup of tea.
That’s all for now, more later…
Again, I must say, if you have questions, please ask.
Guy 13.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: The best sounding audio system in the past 40 years ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2010, 10:28 pm »
Tell us more when you get the chance! Equipment comparisons, songs listened to, etc,etc...  What have you noticed that is considerably different than previous sound systems you have used?

I love the speakers. What is their frequency response?

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2010, 01:03 am »
Tell us more when you get the chance! Equipment comparisons, songs listened to, etc,etc...  What have you noticed that is considerably different than previous sound systems you have used?

Hi Blair and AC members.
Today I will complete the wiring of my GR Research V-2 and do a side by side comparaison between the V-1 and the V-2, hopefully all that will be done before sunset !
There are so many comparaison tests I want to do, but so few hours in each day. I wish I could live to 115 years to do everything I want to do, but at 115 years old, what can you do ? Cannot even listen to music, because you are half deaf.
I had so many previous type of equipment, can't remember all of them, but what I can say is that it ranged from very cheap to quite expensive. (Naim w/B&W DM-3000) The put it in only a few words, I can say that the system I have now (GR Research V-1 & Niteshade NS-15) is very natural, room filling, not aggressive. The only thing missing and I am working on that is the sound stage, I want to make it wider and deeper !
The biggest difference between this system and previous systems I owned, is mainly the non aggressiveness.
As for the frequency response, I have no idea, however, this question could be answered by other V-1 owners or by Danny himself. Sorry.
More questions ? They are all welcome.
Guy 13.   

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2010, 02:24 am »

Hi Blair.
One last thing I forgot to comment.
I listen to verything except heavy metal rock and country music.
Rap, reggea, classical, electronic, vocal, instrumental and even Michael Jackson.
I mainly like music with great impact, I like solo guitar, harp, violin, I like the Ventures sound, their electric guitars sounds sweet, I like when you can distinguish clearly each instruments.
In my main topic I mention Bob Marley, I like how this band sounds, because of high impact, each instrument is well seperated, the bass is deep and the highs are not agressive, the voice is clear, even if I am not too crazy about the tone of his voice. That's the good thing about a good system, even the music you don't like too much, you can listen to, because it sound good.
Guy 13   

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2010, 11:22 am »
I think you will have to isolate what is causing a reduced sound stage. It could be speaker placement or more power is necessary from the amplifier. It has been my experience that conditions pertaining to speaker location relative to listening position should be looked at first. Do you need change anything in the room to obtain better acoustics?

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2010, 12:17 pm »
I think you will have to isolate what is causing a reduced sound stage. It could be speaker placement or more power is necessary from the amplifier. It has been my experience that conditions pertaining to speaker location relative to listening position should be looked at first. Do you need change anything in the room to obtain better acoustics?
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members...
I highly suspect the position of the speakers and the room acoustic for my reduce sound stage width and dept.
I can change things around quite easily, however, my room is still huge. (28X30feet) for acoustic treatment I cannot hang anything on the walls, (Our house will be for sale soon) which makes walls dampening a little difficult.
Next Sunday, I will try different ways, different arrangements...
I will also chamge position and distance of the speakers, that's why I put the speakers on wheels.
Guy 13.