Beacon Two Preamplifier & LH-1 Cable tour: Impressions & Reviews

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
I wasn't criticizing you.  It was a good time to explain why the enclosure is large. As questions and comments come up, I want to expend on observed details when it looks like a good opportunity.

I am glad you brought that up and I didn't view it as criticism- it was a VERY good observation!

As far as the volume control goes- that's interesting and we'll have to see what others say.

Thank you and keep up the good observations.

Mariusz

Uploaded some pictures - see earlier  reserved post spot (reply #17) and click on gallery link. :thumb:

........ few if any complaints as far as sound quality is concern. It will come down to choosing the flavor that complements ones system.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2010, 06:46 am by Mariusz »

Mariusz

I wasn't criticizing you.  It was a good time to explain why the enclosure is large. As questions and comments come up, I want to expend on observed details when it looks like a good opportunity.

I am glad you brought that up and I didn't view it as criticism- it was a VERY good observation!

As far as the volume control goes- that's interesting and we'll have to see what others say.

Thank you and keep up the good observations.

Absolutely and that is what's so great about tours in general - honest, constructive feedback that average users can provide.

P.S
I'll post some performance notes later tonight (really late).

Mariusz

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
Hi Guy 13,

Welcome back !  :green:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Those photos are out of this world!  :hyper:

Very nice setup, nifty background, clean appearance . The lighting sets everything off too.

chlorofille

Mariusz,

Lovely pics. Looking forward to your review and comparisons !  :bounce:
What a sweet pet you have!!

Mariusz

Thanks guys.
Obviously those aren't anything close to pro shots.
I do however like to play with natural lighting (no flash). It reflects setting, space and atmosphere best.
 .....and yeah, "Lucky" is cute indeed.
We adopted him after he was rescued from the burning pet shop in Chicago. 

As to Beacon 2 preamp - it is good ......  REALLY GOOD.  Like it a lot.

Mariusz

Mariusz

Blair asked me if I forgot to use his cables and what I think about then.

So,......my answer is NO - I did not forget.
Yes, I enjoy them.
How they sound? - they do not. And that is how I like it.
They do not add much or take away from my music and that is what's important... at least to me.
In my setup, Niteshade interconnects link Beacon Two preamp and Decware monoblocks.
Construction - look well build, firm fit, flexible.
I am not sure how much Blair asks for his wires but regardless of cost - good product.
Surely, guys from " the path to least resistance " would put it through its pace. But for average "Joe" like myself, it does what it supposed to do - providing connection between components without drawing attention to itself.

Lucky loves this system - if I am listening.... so is he. :)

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Thanks for the cable photos!

I wanted to make the LH-1's as transparent as possible. We'll see how they react on various systems soon enough.

Looking forward to your final thoughts!

Note: Please post when the Beacon Two and LH-1's are passed on the next person in the list.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
How's things going over there?

Ericus Rex

i'm next, I'm Next, I'M NEXT!!!!!    :hyper:

Mariusz

How's things going over there?

Conclusion was ready to post but ...... I screwed up and lost it all. :duh:
Will have to wait till later today.

Preamp is at Ritchie's place NJ.
He just recieved his custom pre which he will shoot againts Beacon Two.
Here is the scoop:

Mariusz

And few pics in case some of you missed it:

TO SEE MORE CLICK HERE

chlorofille

Wow! extremely simple circuitry...

looking forward to your detailed essay for the conclusion   :thumb:

Mariusz

How is that for conclusion:
If my lovely reference preamp was stolen and I was left with Beacon........I would be still a happy man.
Funny thing you mention the circuit simplicity because Ritchie and I just discuss it today and he could not understand what gives its performance? The biggest transformer on my preamp weights as much as the whole Beacon :scratch:
Here is a closer look:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Review Guidelines:

1] Equipment the preamp is connected to (Your system)
2] What music did you listen to? Try any movies?
3] Initial Impressions
4] Impressions after about 2-4 hours listening time
5] Your conclusion
6] Some photos of your setup with the Beacon Two and LH-1's in place. We all love photos!

When writing a review, think about what you would like to know before purchasing something. The more details, the better!

Mariusz

I think it is time for well overdue conclusion. (everything I do takes longer then it should  :duh: :lol:)

Without a doubt Blair of Niteshade Audio took quite a gamble with AC tour of one of his products. (besides the IC that came with the Beacon Two pre). It certainly takes some serious guts and confidence to inject one's reputation, and possibly future into a crowd of total strangers who got nothing to loose except few keystrokes describing their experiences with product under "review". Like most of the regulars here at Audio Circle, I had great reservation towards this newcomer and his attempt to convince the masses that he isn't your average builder but someone capable of bringing you just a bit closer to (strangely abused) "audio nirvana". But at this point I can assure you that Blair is the real deal and if other products from Niteshade stable resemble Beacon Two preamp then I will be the first to admit that we have missed on some of a very interesting components which passed us by unnoticed.
Personally, I will place Niteshade Audio on my list of manufacturers to contact for my future purchase(s).
In short, I am very impressed with Beacon Two performance, design, simplicity and most of all, performance.

Some of the music  used:

Equipment used:
-Decware SV83M monoblock amplifiers
-Custom build linestage (5V4 rectifying tube, 6J5GT output tubes)
-Virtue Audio Piano1 CD player
-Majik Buss AC filtering
-CIAudio XDC 2 enhancing filter
-Audio Nirvana Super 15 cast frame drivers in open baffle design
-Interconnects used: Niteshade LH1, Audio Research
-Power cables: Signal Cable, Morrow Audio, Electra
-Speaker cable: NOS cooper solid core wire, no termination

The Sound:

Despite the circuit appearance of being minimalistically and efficiently laid out as well as absents of brand name components or parts the sound was surprisingly good. In fact, it was almost on pare with my reference preamplifier which costs (parts alone) at least twice the Beacon's Two asking price (tour special price) and weights at least 10 times as much. Beacon Two preamp reminds me of a simple culinary dish based on raw and fairly common ingredients which with help of incredibly skillful chef, can taste like a million dollars, price winning entrée. It is quite amazing what was accomplished with so little and within budget of a regular "Joe". Well, it is not exactly beer money but it is also far from ridiculous or silly.
It would be even a better deal (as well as aggressive marketing) if the asking price was around the tour special offer.........say, between $750-$850. There is still competition in that price range.( Competition with years on the market & hundreds of satisfied users around the world ) Stealing slice of that "sweet apple pie" won't be easy. Blair has the tools and product(s) to do it. It's just going to take some patients and hard work. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a whole lot more about Niteshade Audio in very near future and I hope that this company will get some well deserved recognition.

The characteristics that can describe Beacon Two preamp are:
- excellent speed and pace
- transparency and attempt of faithful reproduction of the source/media
- female voices and string instruments sounded most impressive
- bass is fast, punchy, but one might wish for more weight and meat around the bones
- minimum self noise, black background, very quiet
- great air

There was not much to complain about and if there was ........ it would probably has to do with system synergy or component mismatch. Also keep in mind that I didn't engaged in any tube rolling feast, cable swapping extravaganza or tweaks delight. I never felt the need to apply any of that nonsense. It simply sounded great regardless of what I throw at it. It might be also worth mentioning that my Decware amps never sounded so good (and these almost end up for sale.......not anymore).  It turns out that there is more to these fine amps then meets the eye, it just has to be discovered. I thing that Beacon Two preamp might just be the answer.
OB Audio Nirvana full range drivers also shined with Decware and Beacon pairing. During the audition, my quickly assembled, plain rig turned into something really special.
I LOVE IT.

I do not want to sugar coat anything or influence this tour but you would be wise to at least try it for yourself in your very own system. It would also help a lot if Niteshade Audio offered some sort of in home free trial. Certainly risky proposal but it might turn out to be a necessity to reach broader audience.

Thank you Blair
and bravo!

Mariusz

« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2010, 12:18 pm by Mariusz »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
So, are you keeping it?

chlorofille

In fact, it was almost on pare with my reference preamplifier which costs (parts alone) at least twice the Beacon's Two

Hi,

How does Beacon 2 compare with your custom preamp ?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Hi,

How does Beacon 2 compare with your custom preamp ?

And if you guys don't mind, can you describe the topologies used in your respective tube circuits? Blair, yours looks like a common cathode gain stage followed by a cathode follower (the 1st two stages look direct coupled?), then cap coupled to the output RCA.  Filament supplies look they are from an external dc source, and the HV supplies appear to be CRC full wave bridge using a common full wave bridge rectifier, two electrolytic capacitors and a resistor in between, but its impossible to tell with one picture! And Mariusz design looks to be transformer coupled but I'm not sure as well...great review so far though!! :thumb:

Anand.
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2010, 07:15 am by poseidonsvoice »