Decware & Niteshade

radarnyc

Decware & Niteshade
« on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:27 pm »
Hi all- Does anyone have experience with both Decware and Niteshade amps? Beyond selling consumer direct, there seem to be a lot of similarities to some of their offerings. How would you compare/contrast their offerings?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Decware & Niteshade
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2012, 05:44 pm »
It doesn't look as if anybody has owned both kinds. More than likely they have owned either one or the other. Decware has some nice looking products and I have never listened to any of them.

There are design differences based solely on looking at photos. That being said, we all tend to take the path we believe is best.

The best thing to do: Ask the same questions to both of us. Since the design philosophies are different, this is the best way to go.

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2012, 05:56 pm »
I have owned both, but only NS amps currently.  I'm one of the few that ordered Decware's little SET amps and returned it.  But, had nothing to do with sound quality or imaging...it was an awesome little amp.  My Hawthorne Sterling speakers needed more power.

NS amps deliver power in spades, that may be a big difference.  I had never thought about NS and Decware being similar.  Both offer good hand built, point-to-point wired amps with minimal internal parts. 

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2012, 09:27 am »
Hi all- Does anyone have experience with both Decware and Niteshade amps? Beyond selling consumer direct, there seem to be a lot of similarities to some of their offerings. How would you compare/contrast their offerings?

Hi radarnyc and all Audio Circle members.
Quite a nick name you have.

I presently own a Decware SE83C+ (2wpc - SET) and a Niteshade Audio NS10 (10wpc - Pento)

Minds you, right now their are packed and ready to do 4 weeks on a vessel to Canada

I did with both of them, many hours of listening mated with my GR Research V1 and V2 as well as Audio Nirvana 8" full range in a bass reflex enclosure and in a open baffle.

I cannot really compare their sound side by side.

Both of the have their strength and weakness.

The Decware despite his liliput output power is very good for voice and small band if you mate it with efficient speakers in small room, they very quickly run out of power...

The Niteshade as a good sound with every kind of music and has plenty of power with my 97db efficient GR Research V1 and V2.

Both of the are very well made, wiring point to point is simple with quality components.

Decware as a life time warranty, Niteshade as a one year warranty (Unless I am wrong) but the way the Niteshade is built I would not worry about reliability and durability.

I find the Decware a little expensive for the number of watts it puts out.

Niteshade offer a good quality price ration and you can get it build to your liking and with the color you prefer.

The Decware is really a compact unit, the Niteshade is big
compared to the Decware, but under the hood there is space to spare.

Which one do I prefer ?

The Niteshade for it's power and custom configuration. Blair is very flexible and can built whatever you want at a reasonnable price.

I hope this help you taking a decision.

In my opinion and that's only my humble opinion,
Blair should give a 5 year warranty and all his master pieces...

Choose wisely, take your time.

Guy 13

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2012, 11:27 am »
I'd second those opinions and add that Decware can offer the entire audio chain (except turntables or tape drives).  Steve has been in the business much longer and is not a one man enterprise, but Blair seems to have a deeper electrical background.  Steve's head is heavily slanted towards high efficiency speakers (small amps/lack of deep bass) but now offers a "monster" 24 wpc integrated amp.  Picking something from Steve is simplier if you don't know what you want, but Blair offers digital amps.