comments on an audition

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
comments on an audition
« on: 6 Mar 2012, 08:52 pm »
I don't post many quotes or customer comments but this came in yesterday.  P. is a musician and on sunday he auditioned both the DA-1.1 & Ulysses at two nearby customers homes.
this is what he wrote me about his experience .

“Hi Lou
 Well the rooms were so different that I'm sure that had something to do with what I heard. Evans room is a very big with a kind of alcove behind the speakers, he has the Ulysses. I thought they imaged beautifully and the tone was right on, really remarkably. I don't know what you are doing to let things kind "play out" as they should but it's great execution that they do. The piano sounds the way a piano should with tone, percussive attack and nice harmonic decay and the bass had a similar quality too. those are instruments I play so I have a good idea how they should sound. I guess what I'm saying is a lot of speakers play a note and then its gone, when things get busy they blur it all together and it sounds unmusical. Evan was playing some classical stuff that was so defined but still one piece. I wasn't distracted by any one thing happening but could easily hear distinct things going on at the same time. What was nice also was nothing was screeching at me, highs were clean, cymbals had weight ( another pet peeve of mine when a cymbal crash sound fake) Violins had that little edge of aggression you hear sometimes.
 Now the 1.1 was at Marks house, much simpler system, realistic room for most people and I thought they sound great and there is def a much wider thing going with them then the Ulysses, almost planar like ( which is what I like about planars) again the piano sounded very realistic with the right sound especially bass notes .I think that’s where a lot of speakers fall short. Piano bass notes are a pretty unique sound that often get lost or mixed out of rock and pop recordings but it was there and it fully met my hopes on what it should sound like. I can't get past the whole weight & percussive thing you are doing it really had me scratching my head wondering how most if not all these other speakers don't even bother to try to get it right in their speaker. It is so important to have things sound the way they actually do in real life. With all the mp3 stuff out there I don't believe many people even know what things sound like anymore so their view on what’s "good" is so far out of whack it's not even worth arguing about. I just kind of nod politely when I hear bad equipment. I have a young nephew who I play things for and he always says "I didn't know music was supposed to be like this!" and that’s how I felt listening to your speakers but I do know how music is supposed to be!

You have a unique product honestly because of how fundamentally it gets things right and how many others just don't. I honestly could see people being put off because of that, they just wouldn't know the real thing if it hit them between the eyes. I hope that doesn't offend you in any way.”

:D :D :D

fwinston

Re: comments on an audition
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:31 pm »
P. hit the nail on the head when he summed up the Daedalus sound.  As an AP Ulysses owner I'm so fortunate to have stumbled onto Daedalus Audio when I was speaker auditioning.  The Ulysses draw me into the music every single time I power up my audio system and sit down for a listen.

Thank you Lou!

fado

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:10 pm »
Just a minute - did my DA-RMa's grow into Ulysses while I wasn't looking? - Evan Evans

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2012, 04:49 pm »
Just a minute - did my DA-RMa's grow into Ulysses while I wasn't looking? - Evan Evans
no worries.  the Ulysses are owned by another gentleman named Evan on the east coast...