Original Sapphire vs Sapphire II

gsvarney

Original Sapphire vs Sapphire II
« on: 7 Dec 2023, 06:57 pm »
Hi all - Another Sapphire post. Recently I posted about Sapphire mods/parts upgrades. I found a review of the Sapphire II (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/attachments/audioconceptssapphireiireviewspeakerbuilder-pdf.995886/) In this review there is information about the ideal placement of the speakers for the best sound. Vertically, it says that the ear near the bottom of the woofer is best. Horizontally, about 15 degrees off-axis. The Sapphire II and the original are very similar, so I'm wondering if these placement tips are valid for the original, as well. Currently, my Sapphires are on crappy (really crappy!) "platforms" that I built to approximate what I believe is depicted in the catalog images. The other day I got my head lower and thought I heard some better mid-range and bass. I assumed that between the tweeter and woofer would be best, and accounted for the slope of the cabinet, which increases the vertical distance as I move back from the speakers. I am at roughly and equilateral triangle. I know I can experiment, and I will, but I'm wondering if these should perhaps be quite a bit more off the floor than I have them. If they are better higher, then I'll invest in, or build some, solid stands for them.

Thanks,
Geoff

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
Re: Original Sapphire vs Sapphire II
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2023, 08:37 pm »
Yep, they will likely sound better if raised up some. I'd just stack books or whatever temporarily to see where it's optimum in your room with your listening position.

gsvarney

Re: Original Sapphire vs Sapphire II
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2023, 03:56 am »
Yep, they will likely sound better if raised up some. I'd just stack books or whatever temporarily to see where it's optimum in your room with your listening position.

Thanks, Mike. I've never done enough experimentation with positioning things. I used these for many years and didn't know I was probably missing things. I'm excited now to experiment and see what they can do!