LRD and DSP together?

dayneger

LRD and DSP together?
« on: 22 Dec 2023, 03:30 pm »
This morning I took advantage of a rare window of time to poke around on AC and discovered Tortuga for the first time.  The LRD-based volume attenuation sounds like a seriously cool implementation!

After lurking in the audio shadows for many years I've decided to build some open baffle speakers, very likely one of Perry Marshall's Live Edge Dipoles or a close derivative thereof.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/psma-website-assets/live_edge_dipoles.pdf   

I'm open to other speaker suggestions, but anyway, Perry's designs use a MiniDSP Flex 8 to manipulate the signal in the digital domain, then internal DACS for the outputs to the amps (although I might get a version that uses digital out so that I can choose different DACs).

My apologies in advance if this is a blindingly obvious no  :), but I thought I'd ask the question anyway--is there a way to combine your LRD-based building blocks with digital-only DSP?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LRD and DSP together?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2023, 10:44 pm »
This morning I took advantage of a rare window of time to poke around on AC and discovered Tortuga for the first time.  The LRD-based volume attenuation sounds like a seriously cool implementation!

After lurking in the audio shadows for many years I've decided to build some open baffle speakers, very likely one of Perry Marshall's Live Edge Dipoles or a close derivative thereof.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/psma-website-assets/live_edge_dipoles.pdf   

I'm open to other speaker suggestions, but anyway, Perry's designs use a MiniDSP Flex 8 to manipulate the signal in the digital domain, then internal DACS for the outputs to the amps (although I might get a version that uses digital out so that I can choose different DACs).

My apologies in advance if this is a blindingly obvious no  :) , but I thought I'd ask the question anyway--is there a way to combine your LRD-based building blocks with digital-only DSP?

The challenge with using Tortuga LDR attenuation together with muti-channel DSP is that Tortuga is really only compatible with 2 channel  (left & right) stereo. If you intend to use DSP to ultimately produce active left(Hi, Mid, Lo) and right(Hi, Mid, Lo) analog signals, you need 6 channel attenuation.

I've used Tortuga LDR preamps with DSP but with the 2 channel LDR preamp upstream of the DSP. It worked reasonably well in my opinion but you end up with the complexity of digital source -> DAC -> LDR preamp -> DSP (ADC plus DAC) -> multi-channel analog amps.

Cheers,
Morten