Has anyone had any Monster Eleganza experiences ?

Cyrpinodon

Re: Has anyone had any Monster Eleganza experiences ?
« Reply #40 on: 28 Dec 2007, 01:06 am »
Nutsnbolts, I used to have a problem with my coax cable TV creating hum as well.  I tried running a separate ground wire to the coax grounding block but that didn't work.  I finally put together the 300-ohm TV-VCR matching transformer to 75-ohm coax/300-ohm twin lead matching transformer DIY solution and it worked perfectly (you can find the complete directions at multiple sites on-line).  As you know, a different problem from the ground-loop hum. 

I just took a look at the back of my towers to refresh my memory on the connections.  Here is the exact quote from the bass module owner's guide that is hidden in the middle of the directions... "If you are not planning to use a bi-wire connection type, your Bass Modules MUST be connected using the “LOW PASS INPUTS” only" (emphasis from MONSTER, not from me).  I'm not sold on bi-wire hook ups either and think it a ploy to sell more speaker wire, so I have the speaker wires from my amp going ONLY to the low-pass input on the bass module. The low-pass output on the bass module then feeds to the tower inputs (using the jumpers to connect low and high pass inputs on the back of the towers). 

The small low voltage female plug just above the on/off switch on the bass modules feeds the 12v power to the blue light strips using the short black jumper wire that should have been in your bass module hook up package.  You won't have to use the "wall warts" with this connection.  I'd like to run separate 12v powered wires to each speaker from one large transformer so that I can turn on/off all of the blue light strips from a single switch, but this will have to wait until after the new year begins.  With the surround speakers mounted up on the side walls I hate to have to pull off the connections to turn on/off the lights.  Just lazy I guess.

nutsnbolts

« Reply #41 on: 28 Dec 2007, 01:23 am »
so I have the speaker wires from my amp going ONLY to the low-pass input on the bass module.

Yup that's what I've done.

The low-pass output on the bass module then feeds to the tower inputs (using the jumpers to connect low and high pass inputs on the back of the towers).

Well here's where I'm uncertian - the cable included to connect the low pass sub output to the towers has 4 spades at the tower end- so are you saying to only connect 1 pair of the low pass spades to the speaker back and use the jumper for the high pass? As it is now I have all 4 connected with the jumper in place. It didn't seem logical yet it didn't seem right to leave 1 pair of spades dangling back there either. I just don't want to damage anything . This should be clearer in the instructions.

I really appreciate your help Cyrpinodon .

As for the light conection - I follow - THANKS!

Cyrpinodon

« Reply #42 on: 28 Dec 2007, 02:45 am »
Nutsnbolts, I use ONLY the low-pass cable pair from the bass modules to the towers and tie wrap the high-pass connections back against the low-pass cables so that I don't get any shorts (bent back so that the powered ends won't contact with the non-powered leads). 

I agree, the directions could have been written better.  Maybe the same engineers who designed the speakers should have drafted the instructions.  I'm no expert, but I think that  only time you would technically need to use both the low-pass AND high-pass cables would be if you were using a bi-amp configuration, separate leads would then be necessary.  I took a look at the Streamline Tower user manual just to check.  Here is another direct quote from the towers manual...."Standard Hook-up (Non Bi-Wire):  For Towers without Bass Modules: For non-bi-wired systems, connect your cables to the upper terminals and use the supplied jumper straps between the lower and upper terminals." 

So, if the towers are powered with only a right and left cable going to the "upper terminals" after the jumpers are attached, then a combined signal from the bass modules should follow the same guidelines.  I think I have confused myself here... what I'm trying to say is that I think that the bass module uses it's internal crossover to separate out the lower frequencies and the remaining signal is then passed to the towers as if they were getting the full spread, sent from the "low-pass" output to the jumpered towers.  I've had a couple of glasses of wine, so I hope this makes sense.

nutsnbolts

« Reply #43 on: 28 Dec 2007, 02:56 am »
Cyrpinodon , thank you very much for that . That seems more logical. I've got some tie wraps in hand right now. Enjoy your wine :)

mcallister

« Reply #44 on: 4 Mar 2008, 12:54 pm »
so how do you like the speakers?

square

« Reply #45 on: 29 Mar 2008, 05:26 am »
I have a pair and am fairly happy given the reasonable cost. The fit and finish on the line arrays is excellent, the subwoofers finish is just average.

Very nice image and soundstage with the Eleganza, male and female voices are excellent. The single tweeter seems well matched to midrange and upper midrange array.

I am bi-amplifying these with a pair of Linn 5105 amplifiers. The Eleganza seems easy on the amps, they do not run hot.

The subwoofers do not perform at the same quality level as the line arrays, the bass is muddy and undefined. I added a REL Stadium III. First I set up the Elaganza subs per the instructions, and added the REL for the lowest bass. Eventually I raised the crossover frequency of the REL and turned off the Eleganza subs. I found this to have much tighter, solid bass.

Square

nutsnbolts

« Reply #46 on: 6 Apr 2008, 04:16 pm »
Well it's been a while so I better throw in my 2 cents CAN.  Welcome to the Eleganza club square ! They are a fantastic system for the money to be sure. Imaging is some of the best I have ever heard. I love seeing the looks on my guests faces when they see these beauties .I have 2 pairs of the SLT8400's , 2 pairs of the MD ELG SLB1000 bass modules , a SLC3600 center channel.

The subwoofers do not perform at the same quality level as the line arrays, the bass is muddy and undefined.

I believe the bass modules ( if indeed that's what you are referring to as subs)were never intended to be used as the sole subs in the system. I am considering picking up a a pair of Godfathers to complete my system and relieve the bass modules of working, or trying to work so low. Turning them down and using them as mid bass should do the trick. I have found that placement and positioning on the main array bases can make a big difference on the bass modules as they 'side fire'. I have'nt found them to be 'boomy' per say , but they don't go low enough. That being said , again , they were never intended to be used as the sole subs in the system.

Anybody have any thoughts an the Godfathers before I commit?

BTW , I am considering buying some super-tweeters from AV123 to brighten the top end a wee bit. I am in a fairly well damped room and mix hi-rez recordings ( mostly classical and jazz ) for 5.1 on them . I'm just trying to eek out as much performance for the least $ as I can. I personally listen to a lot of SACD's DSD'ed into a digital amp .

Here's a good read on 5.1 mixing if anyones interested :  http://www.grammy.com/PDFs/Recording_Academy/Producers_And_Engineers/5_1_Rec.pdf

I'm proud to say I have worked with Joe Chiccarelli before at my studio :)

Those AV123 super tweeters are not expensive at all and may be a fun experiment on a weekend. I've come up with a nifty way to mount them courtesy a friend who works at metal shop making custom aluminum bike parts for the racing crowd . Let me know if anyones interested in this 'clamping' system for super tweeter mounts.

http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=72&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2008, 04:53 pm by nutsnbolts »

revans

« Reply #47 on: 7 Sep 2012, 06:10 pm »
Hello, I am new here and I also wish to join the "Eleganza Club" , are these things still popular with you guys out here? I notice no one really posted anything for about 4 years now... And looks like the M-design website got completely taken down? What is going on here? thanks