RMAF 2013 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE

studiotech

Re: RMAF 2013 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE
« Reply #60 on: 12 Oct 2013, 04:04 am »
That takes quite a set to show up there....

Or supreme arrogance.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #61 on: 12 Oct 2013, 05:09 am »
Anyone heard this room:

Yes, it was really good... one of the best rooms I was in today.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #62 on: 12 Oct 2013, 05:41 am »
Good first day...thanks T & J............. :beer:

audiogoober

« Reply #63 on: 12 Oct 2013, 05:45 am »
The Modwright DAC on the top shelf looks very nice. This is their new offering.

The Daedalus / ModWright room is the best Ive heard yet and not by small margins. The new MW DAC is VERY nice along with with the new Daedalus .v2 speakers. Words just can't describe....

WireNut

« Reply #64 on: 12 Oct 2013, 07:06 am »
Is Bent Audio there?

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 12 Oct 2013, 07:53 am »
tyson and pez, thanks for the coverage, for us down under its good to see photos and comments on live coverage for us shows.

cheers
henry

rvisinta

« Reply #66 on: 12 Oct 2013, 10:13 am »
Thx for all the hard work, really appreciate all. 

Have you guys been to the  room with Absolare and Rockport?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #67 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:36 am »

These speakers looks a fresh design, it is screaming for a one way fullrange version... :eyebrows:

Guy 13

« Reply #68 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:40 am »
Hi Tyson & Pez and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for the virtual visit of the RMAF,
it's highly appreciated since I am in Vietnam
and cannot attempt.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #69 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:42 am »
Hi Ryson & Pez and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for the virtual visit of the RMAF,
it's highly appreciated since I am in Vietnam
and cannot attempt.

Guy 13
Well remembered Thanks too.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #70 on: 12 Oct 2013, 12:51 pm »
Paragon is a large Wilson and Krell dealer in Ann Arbor.  They play with big boy pants on.

Anyone heard this room:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #71 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:25 pm »
I always figured beer (hint, hint) would be more enticing than lava lamps....but what do I know.

rodge827

« Reply #72 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:33 pm »
I always figured beer would me more enticing than lava lamps....but what do I know.

:thumb:

Zero

« Reply #73 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:40 pm »
I wanna lick those Alexia's. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #74 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:51 pm »
BEER! :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #75 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:53 pm »
I wanna lick those Alexia's.

My friend just got a pair a few weeks ago.

Beautifully finished speakers, but man they are a lot of coin.

George

jonbee

« Reply #76 on: 12 Oct 2013, 03:10 pm »
These speakers looks a fresh design, it is screaming for a one way fullrange version... :eyebrows:
The "Gamechanger" design is a major re-thinking of the way speakers project into a room. It is based on some astonishing analytical work by DB Keele, known as the "CBT" circular arc array. As I understand it, it attempts to equalize the pathways to most parts of the room to provide sound field uniformity throughout the space, creating the same sweet spot everywhere.
Here is one of his papers, comparing this design with other types of line arrays:
http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele%20(2010-11%20AES%20Preprint)%20CBT%20Paper6%20Performance%20Ranking%20of%20Loudspeaker%20Line%20Arrays.pdf
Rick Craig at Selah audio is the only mfr. out there actively promoting this technology. I applaud him for it. I'd like to hear them someday.

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #77 on: 12 Oct 2013, 03:16 pm »
Tyson and Pez. Thank you for all your efforts and great coverage of the RMAF for all of us not able to make it.

If you can I would love to hear your feedback on a few rooms.

The Grimm Audio room has new to the US market their all in one speaker, power amp and DSP system (it even comes with the cabling). It is an all new design that uses the Hypex Ncore amps and Grimm's Studio DSP. It is very well regarded in other parts of the world.

The exaSound room and their DAC's.

The Merrill Audio room with the TAD E-1 speakers.

I know there is one more but I can not think of it right now.

Again thank you for all your efforts.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 12 Oct 2013, 09:46 pm »
The "Gamechanger" design is a major re-thinking of the way speakers project into a room. It is based on some astonishing analytical work by DB Keele, known as the "CBT" circular arc array. As I understand it, it attempts to equalize the pathways to most parts of the room to provide sound field uniformity throughout the space, creating the same sweet spot everywhere.
Here is one of his papers, comparing this design with other types of line arrays:
http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele%20(2010-11%20AES%20Preprint)%20CBT%20Paper6%20Performance%20Ranking%20of%20Loudspeaker%20Line%20Arrays.pdf
Rick Craig at Selah audio is the only mfr. out there actively promoting this technology. I applaud him for it. I'd like to hear them someday.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #79 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:58 am »

Tyson Notes

General Room Notes – TAD Room.  Oh yeah, now we are cooking with gas!  Even listening to the general music selected by the people running the room, it’s obvious that this room does everything we loved about the TAD room 2 years ago when they were best of RMAF for us.  Having all TAD electronics certainly helps!

Saint-Saens Violin & Piano – Haha, microdynamics suckas!  Amazing that it keeps the grit of the violin while being absolutely smooth and musical.  Love the TAD room.  Catches the interplay between Shaham and Feltsman superbly.

Handel Aria – Coherent and beautiful, huge soundstage.   Can’t believe we are in such a small shoebox room and there’s such giant sound.  Great, great, great.

Mahler Symphony – Horn call at the beginning is room filling, that’s something I’ve not heard in any other room yet.  Holy shit the orchestral crash is INSANE! 

Civil Wars – One of the few systems that doesn’t make the midbass sound like mush on this track.  Just puts her vocals out there with real emotion and depth.  Almost naked clarity.  Beautiful.  Soundstage is really amazing, just very real.  Tactile almost. 

Tom Waits – Hahaha, Tom Waits sounds like a junkyard dog with a bone and a bad attitude.  Less sorrow and more “f-you” anger and resentment.  Beautiful.  I can clearly imagine him shaking his fists at kids and telling them “Get the hell off my lawn!”

Clearly the best room I’ve been in this year so far, and not by a little.

Jason’s Notes

The TAD room always sets my heart atwitter and this year is no different. I walked in and instantly loved the look. But the sound as usual is really what tad is about and this year is no exception. Tyson's tracks actually sound approachable and even beautiful. Actually got my attention! the Mahler especially had so much authority it you can't help but sit and just listen.

TCW. Yes now this is what it's about! Soooooo much grace soooo much emotional nuance it's almost outside of categorization. The guitar strumming and dynamic shifts are breath taking! So refined its ridiculous. So much power wow.

Waits. Just going to sit here and enjoy it. Holy shit..... Nothing more needs to be said.

OK, I heard this system today and everyone making speakers that sell for over ~$25K should just acknowledge the vast superiority of TAD over their product and just throw in the towel.

And if you are lucky enough to be able to afford $30k speakers, just buy this system and know that the only people on earth that have a better system than you are the ones with larger and even more expensive TAD systems.

Edit... and everyone who builds less expensive gear should invest in a TAD system as a benchmark for their work.

Ok, that should be enough superlatives for one post...  :wink: