Poll

These are the John Coltrane disks I have in order of my preference, what's yours.

Blue Train
3 (12%)
Giant Steps
6 (24%)
A Love Supreme
7 (28%)
Impressions
0 (0%)
Other
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: 11 Nov 2010, 01:14 pm

Favorite Coltrane album of this group

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Favorite Coltrane album of this group
« on: 27 Oct 2010, 01:14 pm »
Also, his work on Mile's "Kind of Blue" could certainly elicit a vote under 'other'.

I think Blue Train benefits from the 'recent effect', that is its the most recent Coltrane disk I've acquired. Over time 'Giant Steps' may assert itself as #1, unless another release I don't yet have wows me.

At bottom, I keep listening to Impressions, just can't wrap my mind around what John is trying to do.

The solos on Blue Train astound me, especially the trumpet work of Lee Morgan, and Trombone player Curtis Fuller does a fine job. And then there's John himself.

But Giant Steps, as an example of Coltrane's melodic phrasing that came to be known as 'sheets of sound' astounds me. I didn't find it as readilly accessible as Blue Train, but after a few listens and what Coltrane is doing with the sax became familiar to my ear, I was intrigued by the complexity of his craft.

But then, what do I know, I'm a jazz noob.

saisunil

Re: Favorite Coltrane album of this group
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2010, 01:23 pm »
A love Supreme wins for me not only as JC's best but one of the best Jazz and fine examples of music - as a way of communicating with the ultimate within ...

strider

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2010, 01:37 pm »
Another vote for A Love Supreme here. For me it's not the technical aspect of the music but it's ability to convey emotion and spirituality that makes it special.

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:01 pm »
I tried to pick. And tried and tried until my head started to hurt. I just cannot pick A favorite.
Have 13 discs as leader, plus many more as "and"/"with" (i.e., "Cannonball and Coltrane", "Kenny Burrell with John Coltrane", etc.), and many more as side man. Too many. Impossible. I give up. :? Although I almost chose "Giant Steps". But how could I? Doh! :duh: Ouch! I quit.

etcarroll

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:14 pm »
geez rockadanny, don't hurt yourself, this is supposed to be fun.  :thumb:

I posted the poll thinking more of Coltrane's proficiency as an artist, but I see from the 'A Love Supreme' votes, people are more into 'the message over the method', and that's fine. Especially since this album melded the hard bop sensibilities of his early career with the free jazz style he adopted later. Gonna have to listen to it now.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:34 pm »
Ballads.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2010, 03:28 pm »
A Love Supreme is the master for sure. However, the wife gets a little on edge with that so I play My Favorite Things a lot. Another one of those break through albums that bridged the gap and introduced jazz to the masses like Mile's Kind Of Blue.

Lots of melody and some of the most understated playing by McCoy on piano.

mdfoy

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2010, 06:15 pm »
My favorite of all time is First Meditations (For Quartet). That CD was the first time I "felt" Coltrane.  :notworthy:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2010, 10:15 pm »
Parts 2 and 3 of A Love Supreme is a sort of summation of Coltrane's techical ability, passion and phrasing from that time on tenor as well as for pianist Tyner.  Part 4 is a lament and a prayer I would have to say.  After that album he dissolved his quartet of four years abouts and seven or so albums and moved on.

Impressions is pretty awesome, too.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm »
Giant Steps for sure, I think it's as close to God as one can get in this life (and Bach's solo compositions are in that same category, for me).

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2010, 10:44 pm »
Tough question. I'd have to say Coltrane Plays the Blues, My Funny Valentine, Chim Chim Cheree, Giant Steps. I better quit. I keep thinking of others. How about that one with Johnny Hartman - what a beauty.

I love it when Trane turns a show tune inside out.
I really have to be in the mood for A Love Supreme.
neo

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2010, 06:34 am »
Tough one. Will have to go back thru the collection to refresh memory, but off the top of my head I'd say SoulTrane. BlueTrain and Giant Steps tied for 2nd.

The box set compilation InterPlay has alot of his nicer side work from '56-'58. (5 discs worth)

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2010, 09:03 am »
I'm going with Giant Steps too.

koyaan

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2010, 02:32 pm »
I'd have to go with A LOVE Supreme as one if nothing else, simply for it's status as a milestone recording.
2.Giant Steps
3. Blue Trane
4 The Vilage Vanguard recordings

rodge827

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2010, 03:03 pm »
Blue Trane  :thumb:

This was my first J.C. album, and hey lets face it, you never forget your first!  :D. Which subsequently inspired many more J.C. purchases.

Traning In
A Love Supreme
My Favorite Things
Giant Steps
Etc...etc...etc...

These albums and many of his collaberations with other jazz greats, are usually always in a listening session rota.

Rodge 

chadh

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2010, 03:08 pm »

I really love Crescent, as well as Ole (if only for the title track, which always blows my mind).  Then there are great live albums, like Live at Birdland, Live at the Village Vanguard and Afro Blue Impressions.  Which of course says nothing about the ranking of the listed albums - all of which are great.

Coltrane is just wonderful, and I appreciate Tyson's comment that Giant Steps is as close to God as one can get; but I always had a slightly different reaction to his music.    To me, Coltrane is so appealing and inspiring because of his music's humanity, not its divinity.  As my favorite Coltrane solos develop, I can feel him battling against all the limitations and imperfections that come with being human, and yet managing to produce something monumental.  It's a completely different reaction to the one I have listening to Charlie Parker, for example, who seemed to produce perfection with the sort of effort I might expend drinking a beer on a warm summer afternoon.

Chad

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2010, 04:58 pm »
The Complete Village Vanguard recordings are incredible. Lots of Dolphy on bass clarinet (which I loooovve). And McCoy Tyner. And Elvin Jones. Wow. Stunning stuff.

Love Supreme still tops my list, but this box set should not be overlooked.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2010, 08:39 pm »
Other:

Ballads
Africa Brass
Crescent

OnlyWax

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2010, 11:52 pm »

When I was introduced to John Coltrane everyone said start with "A Love Supreme." I couldn't get into it at all. It took a long while to appreciate the album and actively wish to hear/play it. What did get my attention on first listen was "My Favorite Things." That's what started me on my JC collection and the title song is still my favorite. I have always relaxed with "Black Pearls," and "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman" introduced me to Johnny Hartman. Coltrane's "Ballads" keeps me relaxed while stuck in Bay Area traffic. 

When I introduce Coltrane to folks who are not familiar with him, I make it a point to play these albums via vinyl and vacuum tubes. I want the uninitiated to hear him like he was played "back in the day." I think his message/music is better conveyed that way. 

Just my 2 cents.

etcarroll

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2010, 11:56 pm »
Then thanks for posting.

I feel honored.  :thumb: