First ever once in a decade Daedalus spring cleaning sale!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: First ever once in a decade Daedalus spring cleaning sale!
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jan 2018, 11:41 pm »
A little stressful but exciting news!  Very generous for you to go to lengths to make sure your customers really can be "customers for life" by developing a retrofit option for existing speakers.  I know I'm a bit off topic on what is already a kind of historic post/sale for Daedalus, but your post got me wondering:

If the mounting flange for the new tweeter is notably smaller than the old, have you have done any testing of the tweeter in its current, smaller mounting flange alone (without an adapter plate) with your existing models?  Although probably not revolutionary as much as evolutionary to matured speaker designs, getting tighter center-to-center spacing (in particular on the point-source models) or being able to revisit optimizing the baffle width/geometries (in the sculpted baffle models) for free could be a (another) happy consequence of moving on to the new tweeters?

All the best for your new year!
The new tweeter needs the adapter plate in order to be retrofitted in older cabinets, the new tweeter is smaller than the opening for the old ones.
AS to placement, we will look at that but placing the dual tweeters closer together could potentially create phase cancellations as well as alter (for the worse) dispersion and imaging. The current placements have been carefully designed, so I doubt that a closer grouping would help in the dual systems, it may come into play though with the single tweeter systems?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2018, 02:13 am »
Lou,

How much time would the retrofit require in the shop for my Apollos? For example, could I drop them off at your shop; tour the countryside/drink coffee/sleep for a couple hours before returning for them, or would this require 24 hours or 48 hours, etc?

Thanks,

Michael

Wig

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2018, 05:02 am »
Well the cat's out of the bag isn't it? recently Eton informed me that they have discontinued the tweeter I use, yep it was a momentary freak out, but having survived half a dozen suppliers of drivers going out of business over the past couple decades I wasn't too worried. Turns out they have introduced a much improved version, and once I finally got the sample in and the XO parts adjusted I became excited. It really is a major improvement on what was already a great tweeter. The same natural tonality but with a more even response especially off axis, lower distortion and faster, much faster.  It is still a one inch soft dome but the mounting flange is much smaller because the magnet structure is neodymium, so we have had to work with our machinist to design and build adapter plates so that they can be retrofitted as upgrades and also for the offset tweeter models.
The upgrade cost for existing models is $150 per tweeter plus $400-$600 for the XO work, fitting and refinish etc.  (Doing this as an upgrade opens a can of worms with potentially a lot of labor involved. We will be fair but have to cover our basic shop costs here.)
Obviously all brand new models going forward will have this tweeter and on these demo sets I'm selling the tweeter upgrade price I listed is a great deal.

That is outstanding news for Daedalus current/future customers especially with a nice improvement in SQ :)

Wig

A_shah

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jan 2018, 05:58 am »
Certainly hope to have an opportunity to  listen to these Daedalus  Speakers  sometimes  this year 2018.!   At   these price point, they  are interesting , but let us see what happens !
would like to listen to the DEMO of Ulysses ,  are these V.2 ?what is the difference in SQ between the Poseidon & the Apollo ? they seem to be at the same price point ? :tempted: :tempted:
Asghar

dodgealum

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jan 2018, 06:19 pm »
Lou:

Sorry....more on the new tweeter. Did the Apollo 11's I heard in your shop have the new tweets or the older version? Hard to imagine those speakers sounding better in any way shape or form!!

Michael--I strongly recommend a road trip to Ferndale to meet Lou and hear his speakers. You will enjoy his company and fall in love with the music his speakers make.

Happy New Year everyone!

mresseguie

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2018, 06:28 pm »
Michael--I strongly recommend a road trip to Ferndale to meet Lou and hear his speakers. You will enjoy his company and fall in love with the music his speakers make.

Don't you mean, "Ashgar"?

:thumb:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 2 Jan 2018, 07:29 pm »
Lou:

Sorry....more on the new tweeter. Did the Apollo 11's I heard in your shop have the new tweets or the older version? Hard to imagine those speakers sounding better in any way shape or form!!

Happy New Year everyone!

Nope the Apollo 11 you heard did NOT have the new tweeters, this just happened! None of the Apollo systems this year had the new tweeters.  These feel like the final piece clicking into place! :D

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 2 Jan 2018, 07:36 pm »
Certainly hope to have an opportunity to  listen to these Daedalus  Speakers  sometimes  this year 2018.!   At   these price point, they  are interesting , but let us see what happens !
would like to listen to the DEMO of Ulysses ,  are these V.2 ?what is the difference in SQ between the Poseidon & the Apollo ? they seem to be at the same price point ? :tempted: :tempted:
Asghar

Yes these Ulysses  are V.2! 
The Poseidon is a taller larger sound stage with a larger sweetspot. The Apollo is more linear and room friendly.
Room and taste, would determine which model is the best choice. Both are great speakers with very similar SQ
thanks,
lou

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 2 Jan 2018, 07:54 pm »
Lou,

I am excited to hear the new tweeters.  I imagine you will need to re-design the crossovers to accommodate the new specs and likely even more efficient tweeter. 

All current orders in production will have the new tweeters?

John.

A_shah

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jan 2018, 12:37 am »

Don't you mean, "Ashgar"?

Will do that  will call Lou after the 8th  and co ordinate with him Although my preference would be late Feb.  to visit when I have some time  .will  fly into Bellingham , WA from Oakland CA  and spend  a couple of hours listening to his Speakers .  :wine:
Asghar

rbbert

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jan 2018, 05:52 pm »
Yes these Ulysses  are V.2! 
The Poseidon is a taller larger sound stage with a larger sweetspot. The Apollo is more linear and room friendly.
Room and taste, would determine which model is the best choice. Both are great speakers with very similar SQ
thanks,
lou
Perhaps the main reason I ended up choosing Ulysses over Poseidon or other Daedalus speakers is the tweeter height.  In my room, listening distance and chair height, the mid-point of the 2 Ulysses tweeters is almost exactly the same height as my ears.  If you have a bigger room, listen farther away and/or your ear height is higher than mine, one of the other models might work better.  Another thing to consider is bass response; I use a REL S3/SHO sub, without which (again, in my room and with my speaker placement) the Ulysses  lack the last little bit of bass "heft", which might not be as true with the 10" woofer systems

MegaHz

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2018, 02:28 am »
Perhaps the main reason I ended up choosing Ulysses over Poseidon or other Daedalus speakers is the tweeter height.  In my room, listening distance and chair height, the mid-point of the 2 Ulysses tweeters is almost exactly the same height as my ears.  If you have a bigger room, listen farther away and/or your ear height is higher than mine, one of the other models might work better. 

Good points.  Lots of factors to consider here for sure.  Speaker stands and baffle tilt also factor in and can provide flexibility.

I have found the Ulysses to work very well with plenty of distance between speaker and listener.  Currently I sit about 12' away and the soundstage is huge, speakers acoustically disappear and the 6 driver array meshed into a sonic singularity.  Interested to hear how you have yours set up. 

rbbert

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jan 2018, 02:33 pm »
I don't always stay with the same setup, but for quite awhile now I have been just beyond near field, with minimal toe-in, and I would describe the sound as you did  8)

MegaHz

« Reply #33 on: 5 Jan 2018, 02:14 am »
I don't always stay with the same setup, but for quite awhile now I have been just beyond near field, with minimal toe-in, and I would describe the sound as you did  8)

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 6 Jan 2018, 03:58 am »
We updated the wiring in this pair of Muse today and remembered that these have some very special caps etc in them, I was very impressed by how good these sound.
They are really sweet but I decided to drop the price so someone can get into the Daedalus line easily.

$4295 with full warranty

Scottdazzle

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jan 2018, 10:45 pm »
We updated the wiring in this pair of Muse today and remembered that these have some very special caps etc in them, I was very impressed by how good these sound.
They are really sweet but I decided to drop the price so someone can get into the Daedalus line easily.

$4295 with full warranty

Holy Cow! What a sweet deal for somebody!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 7 Jan 2018, 05:54 pm »

Holy Cow! What a sweet deal for somebody!

Yes the new owner jumped on these, very sweet deal. He is having the woofers and tweeters upgraded, very nice! :thumb:
Somebody is going to get a killer deal on the Ulysses, I'm surprised they are not gone already!

dodgealum

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jan 2018, 01:59 pm »
Good for him! I was fortunate to hear the Muse (maybe THESE Muse?) at CAF a few years back and they were absolutely stunning in Scott's room. These speakers give you a very good sense of what the Daedalus sound is all about and could easily be a "speaker for life" when paired with exceptional components. Congrats and enjoy!!

mresseguie

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jan 2018, 03:10 pm »
Yes the new owner jumped on these, very sweet deal. He is having the woofers and tweeters upgraded, very nice! :thumb:
Somebody is going to get a killer deal on the Ulysses, I'm surprised they are not gone already!

Lou,

If I hadn't already bought the Apollos, I guarantee I'd have offered to buy the Ulysses already. However, I do kinda like my Apollos, ya know?  8)

A_shah

« Reply #39 on: 9 Jan 2018, 07:58 am »
Still raining in Northern California :duh:
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2018, 08:16 pm by A_shah »