Show coverage day 3

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Show coverage day 3
« Reply #100 on: 19 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm »
Don't get me wrong about the cheap driver shot, they did sound good.  However I would be very worried about trying to play them any louder.  For a small room they would be fine.
why would you worry about playing them loud in anything other than a small room?  they are rated at 35hz-30khz +/-3db (in-room), 87db/1w, 6 ohms +/-2 ohms, 250wrms power handling capability...  seems they will do >100db w/o breaking a sweat...

doug s.

standub

« Reply #101 on: 19 Oct 2011, 11:06 pm »
why would you worry about playing them loud in anything other than a small room?  they are rated at 35hz-30khz +/-3db (in-room), 87db/1w, 6 ohms +/-2 ohms, 250wrms power handling capability...  seems they will do >100db w/o breaking a sweat...

doug s.

Since distortion increases with exertion of a driver.  I was in there listening at what couldn't have been more than 90db at peak and the drivers where MOVING.  The 250 maybe a thermal limit but I would guess that a Le(x) would not be kind to these.

Don_S

« Reply #102 on: 19 Oct 2011, 11:28 pm »
Ceedee,

Thanks for the perspective.  OMG, I would need to get my muscle-bound, heavy-equipment mechanic neighbor to help me install those.  :weights: I just thought Bill got a little carried away with the low angle shot. You know, they are kind of phallic.  :jester:

Definitely added to my CES "must hear" list which is getting way too long for the three days I have alloted myself.  Thanks to everyone for the great show coverage. That has made my CES "to do" list grow considerably.

Just to imagine the size Don.

Cheers,

Cor

(working with KR tubes and -amplifiers for more than 15 years now)

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #103 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:37 am »
AJ, it was worth it, though.  Your room sounded great.  Just a notebook source, the amp, the speakers and the music!  Ahh, the music.  I loved the Arturo Sandoval that you played for me.

The Soundfields are incredibly room friendly.  Nice balance and extension even without any room treatment.  Very nice sound. 

Great to finally meet you, too   :thumb:

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's my philosophy, keep it simple...and enjoy the music.
It would have been fun to hear Arturo in your room (which I still thought sounded perfectly balanced even without the "wall"). Make sure Danny adds some to the HD.
Hope you and Danny had a smoother ride back! :wink:

cheers,

AJ

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #104 on: 20 Oct 2011, 01:46 am »
Thanks Dave, that's my philosophy, keep it simple...and enjoy the music.
It would have been fun to hear Arturo in your room (which I still thought sounded perfectly balanced even without the "wall"). Make sure Danny adds some to the HD.
Hope you and Danny had a smoother ride back! :wink:

cheers,

AJ
AJ, after all of these years, I finally get it.  It is all about the music.  Where we differ is I want to get "ALL" of the music.  That is the OCD audio guy in me.  All of the time we were arguing a different side of the same issue.  It was good to finally meet you and begin to understand our differences.  We have very few, my friend.

Yep, we cruised home on Monday and I took a whole day off yesterday.  I feel like a new, still tired, man  :lol:

Check your PM.

My best,

Dave

Occam

« Reply #105 on: 20 Oct 2011, 01:50 am »
Brinkman, vivid audio, luxman

This room sounds very nice indeed. The imaging and soundstaging is tremendous and the scale is deceptively big! These speakers don't seem like they should be able to be this visceral, yet they can sound as big as the Kimber room with the Sonys.

Mike Garner clearly took some time setting this up. Phenomenal.

Tyson - Jason liked this room more than I did; I thought it was good, but not great.  Clean, neutral balance, very clear, very clean, nice dynamics and good bass, but just did not grab me emotionally.

Just for some context, I thought the Luxman Towers sounded terrible last year, so clearly a step up this year.

And a shout out to Mike Garner who took the time to shoot the breeze with us re: audio stuff.

and in the interest of informational completeness (and self promotion), the electronics were fed through a Bybee Wire power conditioner and all cabling and cordage were Kaplan Cable.

FWIW,
Paul

Pez

« Reply #106 on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:13 am »
 :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

It's too easy to forget things like that at these shows. Sorry Paul. Hey, at least I shared some hot wings with you.  :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #107 on: 20 Oct 2011, 03:15 am »
and in the interest of informational completeness (and self promotion), the electronics were fed through a Bybee Wire power conditioner and all cabling and cordage were Kaplan Cable.

FWIW,
Paul

Paul you did great. This system was easily in my top 5. I went back every day though hoping the system would fall flat. As good as the sound was, I just cannot get past the looks of those speakers.