Spatial with a Dennis had inspire

Jprod

Re: Spatial with a Dennis had inspire
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2020, 03:24 am »
It just showed up yesterday. So far I‘m just letting the amp and tubes settle in. It’s as quiet as a solid state amp and adds the 3D magic of tubes. Again I hate to be hasty but initial impressions are extremely favorable. I can say it has zero difficulty driving the X3’s in my 17x24x10 room.
David
Great to hear !  I think mine will be here Monday but still waiting for my x5s.  No firm delivery yet

schw06

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2020, 09:06 pm »
So my Inspire has been playing daily for the last two weeks. I’m glad I didn’t comment specifically about the pairing before now other than saying it had more than enough power for my tastes to drive the
X-3’sin my 17x24x10 room. Initially there was a forward, almost hot treble when I put the amp in and I didn’t know if it was an issue of speaker needing break in, amp/tubes needing break in, placement issue, or just not a good match. I resisted the temptation to move speaker position and just let it play as much as I could (few hours/day). That forward, glassiness has completely melted away leaving behind an extremely natural sounding pairing. The amp with the Gold Lion KT-88’s produces really well controlled and articulate bass, tonally saturated mids (not warm/thick/syrupy) and sparkly clean treble. The amp is as quiet as a tomb. With the current tube configuration I would not call the treble sweet and the midrange reminds me of the LTA ZOTL 10 in that it’s really clean and dimensional without being colored(euphonic). I bought the amp fully expecting to rip out the new production 6sl7 and 5ar4 rectifier for NOS tubes... honestly the sound is so close to perfect for my tastes I’m just going to leave it as is. Although deconstruction of an amp into bass, midrange, and treble is  necessary, what really matters is the overall gestalt of how listening to the amp makes you feel. This is one of a small group of amps that is able to turn my left brain off to just enjoy music while at the same time being engaging enough to keep my attention for extended listening. I have found that amps that typically grab my attention tend to be fatiguing and amps that tend to rest my left brain often end up sounding boring and best served for background music.
   In the end please take this only for what it is...my opinion. I have read enough praise about particular scotch whisky and every time I try them they taste like turpentine to me. I like bourbons and American whiskey. Audio gear is similar...no right or wrong, it’s what you like that matters. For me the Inspire produces a remarkably clean treble with zero fatigue, a holographic and tonally saturated midrange without being euphonic, and super clean, tight articulate bass. If that sounds like your flavor of bourbon I can’t imagine you being anything but happy with the amp when burned in. So far this is my favorite pairing.
David

geerock

« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2020, 09:58 pm »
Schw06
For whatever its worth....I have all kinds of NOS 6SN7 tubes and its variants.  In the past I wouldn't have given you a nickle for any chinese made tube, but in my Don Sachs all in pre he recommended the new Shuguang Dawning Series WE6SN7 PLUS tube. I tried it, and it is just a lush sounding beautiful tube.  Paired with the LTA ZOTL 10 amp it is a stunning combo.  And I've been a tube guy for a very long time.  You can get them from Amazon and can return if you don't like them.  If you're happy with what you have then good for you, but if the get the itch to roll something else, these might be worth a try.  Enjoy your music.

schw06

« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2020, 10:18 pm »
Awesome advice and thank you. Actually I broke down and ordered his preamp and it’s en route now. I appreciate the heads up. Looks like there is a 6sl7 in that series...awesome! Thanks again. Love your LTA amp as well.
David

geerock

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2020, 10:57 pm »
Awesome advice and thank you. Actually I broke down and ordered his preamp and it’s en route now. I appreciate the heads up. Looks like there is a 6sl7 in that series...awesome! Thanks again. Love your LTA amp as well.
David
Don always suggests them.  But wondering with the virus thing if he's had trouble getting them.  They are just a few bucks more and even he says it's the finest 6SN7 he's heard.  Give him a call.  Or, if he sent you a pic before he shipped, the tubes have a red base on them.  You are gonna love that pre.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2020, 11:04 pm »
I have a ton of NOS tubes and IME the new Psvane Ti and WE tubes are a match for any of them.  Shocking how good the quality is from Psvane.

geerock

« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2020, 11:10 pm »
I have a ton of NOS tubes and IME the new Psvane Ti and WE tubes are a match for any of them.  Shocking how good the quality is from Psvane.

The PSVane branded tubes are made by Shuguang in China.

Tyson

« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2020, 11:14 pm »
The PSVane branded tubes are made by Shuguang in China.

I believe that was true for the first few years but it's not anymore.

geerock

« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2020, 11:31 pm »
I believe that was true for the first few years but it's not anymore.
Actually, a group of the best engineers from the original Shuguang went off on their own to produce a top line reproduction of some of the worlds most popular tubes.  Psvane became a partner and then full owner.  It gets blurry after that as now Psvane also makes a WE series tube as does Shuguang.  I've heard the 300B tube from both companies as well as the 6sn7 and kt88.  The treasure series of psvane and shuguang are identical.  The psvane we series and shuguang series have different color based but otherwise look identical.  And I'll be damned if I can hear a difference in them side by side.  Both incredible tubes so I have a feeling that somehow they have made an agreement to both sell the same tube under different names.  Either way the We series from either company are just stunning.  And you are talking to a guy that has been into tubes for a very long time.  It wasn't long ago I wouldn't give you a  nickle for a chinese tube.  Now....they deserve great consideration.

ric

« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2020, 01:22 pm »
Geerock, do you know how Sophia Electric tubes fit in to the equation? Own them (EL34's) love them, but have had failures...thanks!

geerock

« Reply #30 on: 16 May 2020, 02:28 pm »
Geerock, do you know how Sophia Electric tubes fit in to the equation? Own them (EL34's) love them, but have had failures...thanks!
Love the el34 tube.  But yes, seems to be a lot of complaints on failure on the Sophia's.  You can try the kt77 or 6ca7.  As a matter of fact Shuguang make the 6ca7 in their new Dawning Series WE tube line.  Both of those variants have a more open upper end.  The el34 is more of the classic tube sound. 

Jprod

« Reply #31 on: 16 May 2020, 04:19 pm »
David

I have been contemplating pulling the trigger as well on the don sachs.  Been in contact with him. Very responsive

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2020, 05:09 pm »
  Website for Inspire ?? Thanks.

charles

Jprod

Tyson

« Reply #34 on: 16 May 2020, 08:09 pm »

Psvane Ti series and Shuguang Treasure series both beat the Sophias.  If you're looking at the WE or Dawning series, those will be even better than the Ti and Treasure series. 

I've had very reliable tubes from Psvane and Shuguang, better than Gold Lion, JJ, Mullard or Sophia.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #35 on: 16 May 2020, 11:45 pm »
Psvane was born when they bought NGG New Gui Guang factory a few years ago, they should be able to make their own tubes since the day one.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2020, 02:25 am by FullRangeMan »