Just another XLS/XCS Encore build

Sasentmt

Just another XLS/XCS Encore build
« on: 28 Jun 2020, 01:01 am »
Hey all,

So after a long time of searching and going through build threads, I've decided to finally post the start of my build. As stated in the title, I'm building the XLS/XCS Encore with upgraded crossovers and tube connectors which will be simple compared to some of the beautiful builds I've seen here. Surrounds will be handled by the A/V 1RS and lower frequencies will be handled by dual Monolith 12" sealed subs. I had to build my media console first as well as one riser for the sub to get the wifey approval....and now that she's on board, I can start my speaker build. I look forward to the build as well as any tips and suggestions.

Fred

Poi

« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2020, 04:15 pm by Sasentmt »

Danny Richie

Re: Just another XLS/CLS Encore build
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2020, 01:21 am »
You are really stepping up the performance of your speakers. To get the most out of them then you might want to step up the room with some room treatments. That bare wall behind the speakers is really going to hit performance.

Sasentmt

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2020, 01:28 am »
And that's why I posted this build....I would have never thought of that and thank you for the suggestion. I will look into room/wall treatments but since I only have one livingroom, it will need wifey approval, although I do remember reading about room/wall treatments that are, or look like pictures...

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2020, 01:36 am »
Welcome, looking forward to seeing photos of the build!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2020, 04:55 am »
I recommend isoacoustics stands.  These are the cheaper versions but they make fancy metal ones too.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_892ISO155/IsoAcoustics-ISO-155.html

Sasentmt

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2020, 05:29 am »
I actually ordered the brass spiked feet from GR Research for the left right and center channels but I will keep these in consideration... :thumb:

Sasentmt

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2020, 12:57 am »
Decided to address the wall treatment per Danny's suggestion....finished building these diffusers, and I'm working on the sound absorbers now, that will go above and below the diffusers as well as on the back wall

hawkeyejw

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2020, 11:36 am »
Nicely done, those look cool!

mmurt

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2020, 08:05 pm »
This set-up looks great.  I just finished my X-LS build and they sound and look great.  One question, did you build the center cabinet or were you able to find someone who makes a flat pack?
Thanks

Sasentmt

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2020, 08:22 pm »
This set-up looks great.  I just finished my X-LS build and they sound and look great.  One question, did you build the center cabinet or were you able to find someone who makes a flat pack?
Thanks

Thank you, I am going to build the center cabinet myself once I am done with the sound absorbers..... unless I can find someone who sells a flat pack to save some time as I'm also building a ground level deck and furniture for my backyard ....too many projects at the same time 😁

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2020, 03:40 pm »
Nice looking diffusers. I'd add another pair right under those and then line the back wall of the top shelves of that cabinet with some thick open cell foam.

Sasentmt

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2020, 04:06 pm »
Thanks

I was going to build them myself but a forum member reached out to me and let me know that he makes flat packs as well as assembled cabinets for the XCS center channel, so I'm going the flat pack route.... :thumb:

The flat pack for the XLS I ordered from Peter and the flat pack for the XCS will be coming from Killian

Sasentmt

Re: Just another XLS/XCS Encore build
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2020, 02:48 am »

Received the XC-S flat pack from Killian, came well packaged and dry fitment was near perfect. I have to go back and make sure I dry fit it correctly as I'm assuming the x-over goes in the center of the enclosure on the floor in the open space of the center braces. Just need to figure out where the (4ea) 45 degree braces go (I'll refer to Danny's build notes) and make some additional filler pieces for the 2 outside routed through channels....

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Just another XLS/XCS Encore build
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2020, 03:18 am »
Nice! Killian does some good work, Im really happy with the X-LS cabinets I got from him, & if I had the room for a center channel, I'd definitely build one. Even if i used it as a sound bar for my TV, its would be worlds better than the built in speakers...  :lol:

But yes, the x-over is meant to fit between the two center braces.
To reduce interference with the spundwaves of either internal woofer.

I hope you enjoy your kits as much as i have!  :thumb: