reelvox

Re: Listening to the Schiit Freya+ Preamplifier
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2019, 02:13 am »
A video review by John Darko:

https://youtu.be/5iAmj_ptVaw

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2019, 05:54 am »
I've been using a Tortuga passive for the past few years and love it - it's the best preamp I've heard - but would like to try something else, preferably with tubes.

I've been thinking about a Don Sachs or a LTA Microzotl, PrimaLuna or. Each have devotees who claim they compete with any preamp at any price. Still, they cost three to five times as much as Schitt Freya+.... but are they really going to sound any better? Based on reviews of the Freya+, I'm not sure.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2019, 01:14 pm »
Had the original Freya here for an in home audition and my tin ears couldn't hear an appreciable difference in any mode (including rolling to top end NOS tubes) versus my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (other than tube option gain, obviously) so I sent it back.  Keep in mind that I'm a "speaker guy." 

From the Darko review: surprising how microphonic the tubes are from the Darko review (another vote for solid state); and agree about the digital to analog to digital again process involved using the Mytek with the Kii 3 (I had a similar active speaker setup that I couldn't easily avoid and keep subwoofers in the system which drove me nuts). 

Am a purist and so don't like adding another component/wire to the system, and don't like changing the original recording. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2019, 04:02 pm »
I've been using a Tortuga passive for the past few years and love it - it's the best preamp I've heard - but would like to try something else, preferably with tubes.

I've been thinking about a Don Sachs or a LTA Microzotl, PrimaLuna or. Each have devotees who claim they compete with any preamp at any price. Still, they cost three to five times as much as Schitt Freya+.... but are they really going to sound any better? Based on reviews of the Freya+, I'm not sure.

Did you get a chance to audition the Tortuga TBV.V1 tube pre-amp when it was on tour? Seems like a natural fit for the Tortuga passive if you care to spend that amount of $.

reelvox

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2019, 04:59 pm »

The cool thing about the Freya+ is it does have a passive mode, and the update turns the tubes off when it is engaged.

reelvox

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2019, 05:01 pm »
Had the original Freya here for an in home audition and my tin ears couldn't hear an appreciable difference in any mode (including rolling to top end NOS tubes) versus my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (other than tube option gain, obviously) so I sent it back.  Keep in mind that I'm a "speaker guy." 

From the Darko review: surprising how microphonic the tubes are from the Darko review (another vote for solid state); and agree about the digital to analog to digital again process involved using the Mytek with the Kii 3 (I had a similar active speaker setup that I couldn't easily avoid and keep subwoofers in the system which drove me nuts). 

Am a purist and so don't like adding another component/wire to the system, and don't like changing the original recording.

Interesting observations!

MttBsh

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2019, 04:03 am »
Did you get a chance to audition the Tortuga TBV.V1 tube pre-amp when it was on tour? Seems like a natural fit for the Tortuga passive if you care to spend that amount of $.

No, unfortunately due to an extensive remodel of my home I was away during the tour and didn't get a chance to listen to the TBV.V1. In a couple of weeks I get to set my audio system up again after 6 months without. I almost pulled the trigger on the new Tortuga when it was still in development and 30% off a couple of months ago and am still strongly considering it, but I love my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC and wonder if the Schiit Freya+ could be as good a fit for quite a bit less money than the TBV.V1.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2019, 10:20 am »
Note I also home auditioned the Gungnir MB at the same time as the Freya.  And again, no matter what combination of settings/components I couldn't hear an appreciable improvement with either piece of Schiit over my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core.  So they both went back.  Too bad, there's much I like about the company and it's design philosophy. 

reelvox

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2019, 03:23 pm »
Note I also home auditioned the Gungnir MB at the same time as the Freya.  And again, no matter what combination of settings/components I couldn't hear an appreciable improvement with either piece of Schiit over my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core.  So they both went back.  Too bad, there's much I like about the company and it's design philosophy.

No worries. Not everyone loves the Schiit. 8)

Different perspectives are always welcomed.

FYI, I would love to own one of their DACs, but their lack of DSD support is a deal killer for me.

I do own the Mani phono preamp and I plan on purchasing one of their headphone amps.