Piano M1

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Piano M1
« on: 28 Mar 2010, 04:51 am »
Hello fellow Piano M1 owners.  What are your thoughts on the Piano?  You know mine. :drool:
http://www.stereomojo.com/Virtue%20Audio%20PianoM1%20Cd%20Player/VirtueAudioPianoCDPlayer.htm

dvenardos

Re: Piano M1
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2010, 05:05 am »
Nice review, makes one wonder about a Piano DAC...

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2010, 06:14 am »
Smack, smack (your hand, again).  Futures are off-limits but doesn't the DAC on the Piano smoke?  My australian dealer just loves the sound and says that his favorite DAC uses the same chip.  Semi-finished units do exist on the DIY market and cost very little I hear...  Sometimes the best stuff gets overlooked.  I've heard some ESS stuff that sounds **much worse** than Piano and a few that sound as good or better depending on ones tastes.  It's the whole package that matters; individual components, even very exotic "hi-tech" ones, do not guarantee superior performance.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2010, 06:47 am »
Marvin,
Can you post some photos of Piano in your system?  John who is a moderator at AC also has one but has not yet posted photos.
Seth

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:37 am »
Pics?? Sure, will do that later today. It looks just like the red one in the StereoMojo review :)

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:33 am »
Here are some pics of my Piano:

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:26 am »
And one without the valve amp:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2010, 12:22 pm »
You are an amazing photographer.  Wow these look great in your very natural setting.  I just love the wood and the tubes and the aluminum... and the zebra-wood works very well.  Gorgeous!  That's what the "high-end" should look like!!!

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2010, 04:21 am »
Hey Seth - thanks! Appreciate it :) The build quality is amazing, I'll be trying plain Al sides soon..! I'm very pleased with the Piano - altho it's hard for me to offer comparisons/reviews as I changed amps and speakers at the same time - and I'm still mucking about with the speakers :duh: I'll get there...

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2010, 02:24 am »
Hello fellow Piano M1 owners.  What are your thoughts on the Piano?  You know mine. :drool:
http://www.stereomojo.com/Virtue%20Audio%20PianoM1%20Cd%20Player/VirtueAudioPianoCDPlayer.htm

My Piano has only been on for a couple of days now, there has to be tubes in there somewhere. The Sensation is still breaking in so I know this will only get better. My Sensation 451 only has about 20 hours on it. I could not pass up that combo deal. Thanks Seth!

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2010, 05:12 am »
That is an awesome deal...!

Hey, I think you need to post some pictures now, let's see them ;) :D

pardales

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2010, 10:23 am »
Nice review, and nice pic's!    :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2010, 04:05 pm »

Pic of my Piano

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:01 pm »
Are there any downloadable manuals on the Piano?

And the sound now of the Piano after a few days? What is that phrase the younger generation is saying?

Sweet!!!!!

Cheerwino

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2010, 01:14 am »
Here's my silver M1 Piano with smooth sides, aluminum remote and oak top. It's sitting on top of The Truth buffered preamp from Ed Schilling at The Horn Shoppe and next to a First Watt F1 piping through Horn Shoppe Model 1 speakers--sounds awesome! I have another DAC but I prefer the Piano's internal DAC to the external one. Kind of wish I could tap into it for computer audio, too. It's really an awesome CD player.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2010, 06:59 pm »
All,

Just wanted to share my Piano M1 experience so far:

I contacted Seth a while back when I was setting up the RWA listening room.  I mainly use my Macbook as my source (feeding USB into the Isabellina dac), or play vinyl - but I knew I needed to have a CD Transport to add to the listening room for customers who bring their CDs.

So I went ahead and ordered a Virtue Piano M1 from Seth in Black, with a Walnut top (which looks very classy and closely matches my Walnut equipment rack).  I love the size of this CDP, and upon opening the box, I was very impressed by how solid and well-built the Piano M1 is.  It has nice mass from the solid aluminum enclosure and a hefty toroidal transformer used for the linear power supply (not a SMPS that you typically find in a CDP at this price point).

Based on looks and build quality alone, the Piano M1 is a steal - but it also proved to be an excellent transport for the Isabellina.  I am getting great results using both the coax and optical output (I haven't done enough A/B'ing to determine which I prefer using). 

While I do prefer the analog outputs of the Isabellina and bought the Piano to use as a CD transport, I did try the Piano's analog outputs and they are MUCH better sounding than many CD players that cost quite a bit more than the M1 -- Good tonal density, doesn't suffer from a sterile digital sound, no harshness in the top-end, and nice PRaT. 

I'm really impressed with the Piano M1 - it is a silly-good value!  It'll be staying here for a long time.  Nice work, Seth! 

Happy listening!  :beer:

Vinnie

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2010, 07:12 pm »
It's the highest honor to be in your listening room!!!  Thanks for your kind words Vinnie!!  You rock.

Mariusz

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:57 pm »
Piano M-1 CDP was quite a surprise. Mainly, because you do not expect anything special from cdp at this price range and enclosure which had to incinerate at least 1/4 of its asking price.
I will also 2nd Vinnie's experiance with this "sleeper".
In contrast tho, I have solely used it as dedicated CD player and can not say much about its capabilities as a standalone transport.
In fact, I had short but interesting conversation with Paul (itr317) about Virtue products in general and we both agreed on various points, including very positive impressions of Piano M-1 CDP.
It is a great CD player that sounds great for the money.
Build and finish is also top notch. 

Mariusz       

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2010, 11:01 pm »
How is everyone enjoying Piano M1 units?? :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

shawnbaden

« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2010, 11:34 pm »
Apologies if this has already been addressed but...

As suggested earlier in this thread, it would be killer if the Piano M1 had a digital input where it would serve as just a DAC.

Any plans in the works for such an addition?