Where to buy a turntable in AU?

JohnR

Where to buy a turntable in AU?
« on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:38 am »
Would anyone have any recommendations on an excellent vendor of turntables in AU? I'm going to be looking at around the AUD2k mark, without arm or cartridge. Apart from good value at that price point, I'm looking for someone who is knowledgeable and will help me with setup and so on. I'm in Sydney but as long as the support is good buying interstate is fine with me.

Rocket

Re: Where to buy a turntable in AU?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2009, 12:18 pm »
Hi John,

I can't recommend any dealers in Australia.  I use audionote in singapore and will purchasing an audionote tt1 turntable from him once I sell my bluenote piccolo.

I've bought several products from Cecil and he is great to deal with and his prices are cheaper than aussie dealers.

Regards

Rod

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2009, 02:04 pm »
Would anyone have any recommendations on an excellent vendor of turntables in AU? I'm going to be looking at around the AUD2k mark, without arm or cartridge. Apart from good value at that price point, I'm looking for someone who is knowledgeable and will help me with setup and so on. I'm in Sydney but as long as the support is good buying interstate is fine with me.

I expect you to be joining us in the Vinyl Circle soon, bud :thumb:

Go buy a cheap, cheerful and excellent Technics SL-1200 Mk. II (new or used).  It's a great start (back? - I assume) on the road to vinyl and it won't set you back a lot of cash.  If you like it, then spend more to enjoy the hobby.  The Technics fetches 70% of it's price on the used market so your budget isn't bludgeoned.

If you get stuck for set up, just get me on SKYPE (camera on, so I can see things) and we'll work thru it.  You don't need a dealer these days - just a helpful vinylphool friend who works sicko hours and has SKYPE and a camera :wink:

Rega's tend to have good resale, too, and likely are distributed in Oz...and may be sold by a dealer that can mount a cartridge of choice, as well.  I cannot believe that in a huge metropolitan area like Sydney, that there isn't a good, quality dealer to buy from.

Here's a Project, Thorens and Rega dealer in the Sydney-metro area:

http://www.hifitrader.com.au/category15_1.htm
http://www.hifitrader.com.au/webcontent8.htm

Ciao, John

Mr Content

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:21 am »
John if you haven't already have a look here
http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/

I am in Newwie if you need help setting one up, I can come down for an arvo.......but it will cost you a coffee :thumb:

Nig aa

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:38 pm »
Thanks guys, some good tips there. Rod, how much is the tt1? - I don't see any prices on the Singapore site. John/TCG - odd though it may sound, I just want to buy one and be done with it, not be forever upgrading :) Nig, you never know (for some reason, I thought you were in Melbourne.)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:44 pm »
John/TCG - odd though it may sound, I just want to buy one and be done with it, not be forever upgrading :)

It's not so odd to want that, John...it's another thing entirely to achieve it :wink:

John

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:37 am »
Hi John,

I was quoted by Audionote $1500au including shipping to Perth for the audionote tt1.  I'm currently waiting to purchase a new turntable belt for my bluenote piccolo and then off to ebay it goes.

Another option is the scheu cello with rb251 tonearm and cartridge included.  I was quoted 1000 euro including shipping.

I guess it depends on how far you wish to dip your toe in the water with vinyl.  Whilst I haven't personally heard a technics 1200 turntable many vinyl afficionado's rave about it here on audiocircle.

With your electronic diy skills I would recommend a hagtech cornet phonostage.  I had a classic cornet that Bluesky (Ian) modded for me and it was an absolute stunning performer.

Regards

Rod
Re
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2009, 06:14 am by Rocket »

Mr Content

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2009, 06:08 am »
Nig, you never know (for some reason, I thought you were in Melbourne.)

Na, its to cold down there, and the beach's are better here. :thumb:

Mr C aa

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:45 am »
John/TCG - odd though it may sound, I just want to buy one and be done with it, not be forever upgrading :)

It's not so odd to want that, John...it's another thing entirely to achieve it :wink:

John

Depends on your goal, I guess. I have several meters of vinyl that I haven't heard. I want to hear it. That's all :)

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:46 am »
With your electronic diy skills I would recommend a hagtech cornet phonostage.  I had a classic cornet that Bluesky (Ian) modded for me and it was an absolute stunning performer.

Had? Anyway DIY is out for now. Thx for extra info. Hope weather is nice over there, quite cold here...

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2009, 10:32 am »
Hi John,

Yes 'had' a cornet.  I'm always swapping gear and I sold the cornet to a friend and bought a bluenote de medici phonostage.  It is very similiar in quality to the cornet except the bass goes a little lower and it looks better in my system.

Regards

Rod