CD Player mods in Brisbane?

soundfanz

CD Player mods in Brisbane?
« on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:39 am »
Hi all,

While I am generally happy with the performance of my Rega Apollo CD player, I am sure there are mods out there that will improve the performance; eg the Opamps and LClock.
Heres a link:http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/LC-1210x/LClock+XO3

I put some feelers out to Soundlabsgroup.com.au, but would prefer somewhere closer to Brisbane to get this done.
Anyone know of somewhere in Brisbane I could get these mods done?
I have considered the DAC route, but not sure it would be good value for money going this way, when mods may offer best value for money.

Chris

Mr Content

Re: CD Player mods in Brisbane?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2009, 03:19 am »
Hi Chris, I am not aware of any, but I have been away from Brisbane for several years. I enquired about the same thing at SoundLabs, but ended up getting a DIY Peter Danial's NOS Dac, and love it. Ended up with a very organic sound, as compared to my SonyX7 without dac.
Maybe Rod will know someone closer, he's a big diy guy :D

Nig aa

stvnharr

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2009, 05:28 am »
Hi all,

While I am generally happy with the performance of my Rega Apollo CD player, I am sure there are mods out there that will improve the performance; eg the Opamps and LClock.
Heres a link:http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/LC-1210x/LClock+XO3

I put some feelers out to Soundlabsgroup.com.au, but would prefer somewhere closer to Brisbane to get this done.
Anyone know of somewhere in Brisbane I could get these mods done?
I have considered the DAC route, but not sure it would be good value for money going this way, when mods may offer best value for money.

Chris

Chris,
You can always try Joe Rasmussen:  www.customanalogue.com.  Though, he is in Sydney.

soundfanz

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2009, 08:33 am »

Chris,
You can always try Joe Rasmussen:  www.customanalogue.com.  Though, he is in Sydney.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I actually sent him an email about 4 hours ago.  :D

When I purchased my Lenehan ML-1 speakers from Lenehan Audio last week, Mike ( the owner ) mentioned Joe as he is good friends with him. I have visited Joe's website too, and it may be exactly what I am after. Will wait for his reply.

I really don't mind posting my player anywhere in Oz if thats what it takes, just won't have nothing to listen to in the meantime while its away as my vinyl rig is in storage at present.

Chris

bluesky

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:48 am »
Hi Chris

I don't know of anyone I could recommend although there used to be a guy who advertised in Silicon Chip and who helped me out once with troubleshooting a CD player issue several years ago.

Opamps are pretty easy to replace, especially if they are mounted in sockets, it is much like changing a light globe.  Clocks are a bit more tricky as you have to identify a couple of surrounding caps and resistors to remove.  However, in some cases where the crystal is a squareish shape it only requires removing the crystal and connecting a couple of wires into the now vacant holes.

I hope this helps and good luck with your mods,

Bluesky

Docere

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2009, 09:55 am »
Hi Chris

I had my Sony CDP XA-50ES fully LC Audio-ed by Soundlabs. I recommended these modifications (I have not heard a player I like more over all, tho am yet to hear the current big $$$ stuff). Having the unit shipped back and forth was not much trouble nor expensive, tho that was some five years ago. Soundlabs was very nice to deal with.

That said, I would probably be looking at other options now, with NOS DAC price:performace (for what I like in music repro) being pretty quite attractive.

Best of fortune in your search
Raymond

Mr Content

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2009, 12:37 pm »
Hi Raymond, thanks for stopping by. I looked at Soundlabs for my Sony X7 mods, but ended up going the Dac route, witch I can highly recommend.

Nig aa