Cable cutting

RoadTripper

Cable cutting
« on: 12 Sep 2018, 12:51 pm »
I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to use an over-the-air HD antenna for use with my Epson projector. To do this I think I need a TV tuner from which I can feed the video to the projector and the sound to my audio setup. Does anyone know what is a quality device for this purpose?

youravhandyman

Re: Cable cutting
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2018, 02:51 pm »
TIVO would be the standard but is expensive.  It can record multiple off air channels and integrates with your online sources such as netflix, hulu and amazon among others.  Most other DVR's for off air are PC based.  There are quite a few tuners on the market.  Some decent threads on here for cord cutting you can review.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2018, 05:37 pm »
There's probably not as many outboard TV tuners as there used to be (at least it seems to me - have two projectors with older Samsung TV tuners).   There's a bunch that come up on a search of Amazon.  Channel Master makes this - https://www.channelmaster.com/OTA_DVR_s/336.htm

asliarun

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2018, 07:25 pm »
There's probably not as many outboard TV tuners as there used to be (at least it seems to me - have two projectors with older Samsung TV tuners).   There's a bunch that come up on a search of Amazon.  Channel Master makes this - https://www.channelmaster.com/OTA_DVR_s/336.htm

I have a ChannelMaster DVR/tuner as well as an active indoor digital antenna (Mohu Leaf if i remember correctly). This was my attempt at cutting the cord but i gave up due to family pressure and now have all this lying unused. Would be happy to let go.

I would strongly recommend an active powered antenna over a passive one as the signal reception and quality is much better. ChannelMaster is quite a decent and slim sized AVR. In my case, I didn't end up buying a hard drive to make it a full DVR - i just bought and connected a 256GB USB pen drive (they're now cheap enough), and that worked perfectly. And to be honest, that is a lot of available recording space.

Another nice thing about ChannelMaster is that the channel listing and channel info is free and you don't have to pay a monthly fee for it, unlike some other DVRs.