Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!

rbbert

Re: Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!
« Reply #60 on: 26 May 2017, 12:43 am »
Just FYI, the unmodified 205 is quite noticeably better sounding than the 95.

PeteG

« Reply #61 on: 26 May 2017, 01:22 am »
Just FYI, the unmodified 205 is quite noticeably better sounding than the 95.
I agree, headphone amp is not bad either.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #62 on: 26 May 2017, 01:55 am »
Took about 5 seconds to realize that this thing is MUCH better than what I had.

soundofrockets

« Reply #63 on: 26 May 2017, 03:22 am »
Congrats John.  What are your impressions.  Audio and video quality. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2017, 01:57 pm »
Congrats John.  What are your impressions.  Audio and video quality.
Only listened to redbook CD's last night.

Detail. Far and away more detail. The differences in the little things is amazing. I'm so used to hearing things the way I've heard them for years at home, it's so different. Examples that are most obvious are in the background stuff like chimes. Before they were "just there". Very nice. Now, each of them seems to occupy it's own space (I guess this could also be described as even greater focus) as the hand is drawn across. Cymbals are  a whole new thing - you can tell the differences in how the drummer strikes them to get slightly effects.

Dynamics. They are greater. I am not turning up the volume as far to get to the levels I am used to. I do not understand how, but it is obvious.

Bass. Wow. Much better, and I am admittedly a bit of a bass nut. More authority.

Instruments pick up clearer tones and subtleties - strings are the most obvious that come to mind. As the bow is changed in orientation to get different sounds, it is obvious.

I'll check back in later in the day with more after I listen to some SACD's and DVD-A's, as well as blue rays. Gotta do some chores for the next few hours and hope to get back to it in about 3 hours.

modwright

« Reply #65 on: 30 May 2017, 03:30 pm »
Thanks for the early feedback!  We are very excited about this mod for the UDP-205 and Sonica DAC from Oppo.

This mod actually costs us much more in parts than our other mods, with the four Lundahl signal transformers, but the performance is worth it!  We did not raise our mod price from the 105/105D to the UDP-205!

Dan Wright

rbbert

« Reply #66 on: 15 Jun 2017, 12:28 am »
Wow!  This is a nice sounding unit!  I admit I haven't tried it with the "stock" tubes; right now I'm using a Phillips 5R4GYS rectifier and some Phillips/Amperex E188CC's.  Bass is cleaner and stronger than with the 105 mod, and the midrange seems "smoother".  I hadn't thought those areas were a problem with the 105.  I also have a pair of Telefunken CCa's to roll in, and a couple of different vintage Mullard G34's for the rectifier if I feel like it.

modwright

« Reply #67 on: 15 Jun 2017, 12:38 am »
Enjoy!  It is a step up in every way from the 105/105D mods.  We re-designed our mod circuit from the ground up and Oppo certainly upped their game with the UDP-205 also!

Having said all of that, the 105/105D with our tube mods is exceptional and we have sold hundreds of them! This is simply the next level, as we continuously strive to better our designs and bring you closer to the music.

Thanks,

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #68 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:09 pm »
I wasn't sure about this yesterday, I thought t might have been the (relatively unfamiliar) program material, but today listening to some music I recently had up in the 105 I notice that the stereo image is larger; wider, deeper, higher.  It's as if I changed the positioning of my speakers.  Again, not the type of change I expected, but it's an improvement and it's nice.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #69 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:45 am »
Wow!  This is a nice sounding unit!  I admit I haven't tried it with the "stock" tubes; right now I'm using a Phillips 5R4GYS rectifier and some Phillips/Amperex E188CC's.  Bass is cleaner and stronger than with the 105 mod, and the midrange seems "smoother".  I hadn't thought those areas were a problem with the 105.  I also have a pair of Telefunken CCa's to roll in, and a couple of different vintage Mullard G34's for the rectifier if I feel like it.
Looking forward to hearing any impressions you have about rolling the tubes in this beautiful unit.

I'm still getting this "broken in". I've gone back and forth a couple of times on the tube for the PS and am wondering if I can gain anything by swapping the tubes out in the Oppo.  :dunno:. It would be fun playing around, but afraid of spending $$ on tubes with no real gain in SQ.

I think I'm pretty sensitive to any sense of "glare" or "edge" in the 2-4 Khz range, so definitely don't want anything that could make that an issue.

rbbert

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jun 2017, 12:32 pm »
If you couldn't improve the sound by changing the tubes in the Oppo, it might the only tube audio circuit ever where that would be the case.  Yes, you might be talking about a bit of money, but how much did you pay for this unit in the first place??  From my research into the 6922 tube family in general, $150-200 will get you a nice upgrade, and spending more will get you more.  At the moment I'm lucky enough to have been lent some slightly used high quality NOS tubes; this is a common tube family, check around.

dminches

« Reply #71 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:07 pm »
Looking forward to hearing any impressions you have about rolling the tubes in this beautiful unit.

I'm still getting this "broken in". I've gone back and forth a couple of times on the tube for the PS and am wondering if I can gain anything by swapping the tubes out in the Oppo.  :dunno:. It would be fun playing around, but afraid of spending $$ on tubes with no real gain in SQ.

I think I'm pretty sensitive to any sense of "glare" or "edge" in the 2-4 Khz range, so definitely don't want anything that could make that an issue.

You should try a pair of Mullard CV2492s.  They are slightly warm which may align well with your comment about avoiding edge.  I have used them in a number of components and always enjoyed the sound.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #72 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:55 pm »
You should try a pair of Mullard CV2492s.  They are slightly warm which may align well with your comment about avoiding edge.  I have used them in a number of components and always enjoyed the sound.
Thanks for the input. Trying to do some research. Saw one review on different tubes in this category which included the Mullard and it turns out the reviewer didn't rate them well. Then later found out he got a hold of some "counterfeit" ones for his testing. Makes me a bit paranoid. Gotta find a good source. The Siemens seem to get a lot of positive reviews and comments.

Research continues. Still enjoying the heck out of what I'm running now. Incredible machine IMO.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #73 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:09 pm »
If you couldn't improve the sound by changing the tubes in the Oppo, it might the only tube audio circuit ever where that would be the case.  Yes, you might be talking about a bit of money, but how much did you pay for this unit in the first place??  From my research into the 6922 tube family in general, $150-200 will get you a nice upgrade, and spending more will get you more.  At the moment I'm lucky enough to have been lent some slightly used high quality NOS tubes; this is a common tube family, check around.
Kind of what I expected. Just wondering if anybody here has started experimenting in the 205 and if so, what their impressions are/were with various tubes.

rbbert

« Reply #74 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:11 pm »
Genuine 1960's Mullards are generally highly regarded for their very smooth sound, as Dave says.  He has the Modwright Marantz which uses the same tubes in a very similar circuit to the 205 mod, so maybe he will post some of his experience with more tubes.

dminches

« Reply #75 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:33 pm »
Genuine 1960's Mullards are generally highly regarded for their very smooth sound, as Dave says.  He has the Modwright Marantz which uses the same tubes in a very similar circuit to the 205 mod, so maybe he will post some of his experience with more tubes.

Rob, the marantz tube section uses a 5687 instead of the 6922 family.  Both are nice tubes but there are many more options with the 6922 so you are lucky to have that option.

rbbert

« Reply #76 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:43 pm »
Rob, the marantz tube section uses a 5687 instead of the 6922 family.  Both are nice tubes but there are many more options with the 6922 so you are lucky to have that option.

That's good to know, but unfortunately it means we won't have the benefit of your experience.  ah well...

cheech

« Reply #77 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:26 pm »
For what it is worth I have used NOS 6922 Phillips Miniwatt, Siemens and Mazda in my Modwright Elyse DAC , all very enjoyable with the Mazda to my ears being a little softer in tone

lancelock

« Reply #78 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:24 am »
After a couple of days of burning in the UDP-205 with Truth Mods is sounding really good. I haven't even pulled out the NOS tubes yet. The sound is so smooth I don't need a preamp, just going direct to the Benchmark AHB2.

rbbert

« Reply #79 on: 5 Jul 2017, 11:09 pm »
I'm in my second day of listening to a pair of Mullard 6922 10M tubes (1966 vintage) from Brent Jessie.  They compare very favorably to the (borrowed) Telfunken CCa's, at a much lower (though not cheap) price.  True to their reputation, they are very smooth through the midrange, with powerful clean base.  The highs are not harsh, but perhaps not quite as "airy" and detailed as the CCa's.  I'm pretty sure I prefer them overall to the Miniwatt E188C's, but need to listen for a few more days at least for a final opinion there (the E188C is much closer in price to the premium Mullards than the CCa's are).